PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham FC announcement - Grahame Rowley to step down as Chairman
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Altrincham FC announcement - Grahame Rowley to step down as Chairman  (Read 7935 times)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Altrincham FC announcement - Grahame Rowley to step down as Chairman
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »

Has done for Alty a million times more than I have ever done, or will ever do. Whatever people's views on his tenure, he has always been 100% Alty.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:13:25 PM »

Has done for Alty a million times more than I have ever done, or will ever do. Whatever people's views on his tenure, he has always been 100% Alty.

agreed

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:22:00 PM »

agreed
Ditto

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:52:02 PM »

Made some wrong choices but has a huge Alty heart and has helped put us back on a decent platform. He came into the job blind and learnt from errors. What other club at this level do you see the Chairman collect glasses, work behind the bar each game, groundwork etc? All the best. Now I would like to see some old faces return next season.......

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:12:13 PM »

Made some wrong choices but has a huge Alty heart and has helped put us back on a decent platform. He came into the job blind and learnt from errors. What other club at this level do you see the Chairman collect glasses, work behind the bar each game, groundwork etc? All the best. Now I would like to see some old faces return next season.......

We'll have to disagree on whether that's what a chairman 'should' be doing.

Should have happened years ago allowing him to focus on supporting the CSH whilst we got someone at the helm but thanks to him we have the CSH and club that didn't go out of business so that shouldn't be forgotten.

As above has said, nobody can question his commitment to Alty.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:13:52 PM by HashtagAlty »
It's all my fault.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »

Well said!

No one can say there haven't been mistakes, but we are in a much better position (with the help of many) than we were when he arrived. A truly decent chap, I wish him well.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 09:54:01 PM »

And many would argue that as chairman he should have been networking, meeting sponsors and potential new directors instead of serving behind the bar and selling golden goals. Some dreadful errors were made during his chairmanship, the scars of which remain.

On the flip side I don't think anyone can doubt that he did what he did as a genuine fan, putting a huge amount of work in. The success of the community stuff and financial stability under his reign should not be understated either.

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 08:15:45 AM »

I’m sure there will be more to come on this, but the Chairman’s address at the AGM, reported on the Alty Files site, as with many Club statements,  is more revealing for what it doesn’t say, than what it does. Absent are:
- a reason for stepping down;
- a review of performance on the pitch during his tenure, and the prospects for the future;
- thanks to the ordinary paying and travelling supporters.  

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 08:20:34 AM by Graham Bennetts Perm »

Matt Taylor

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 12:00:38 PM »

I’d agree with a lot of the above. As extreme as they were for Grahame Rowley, I don’t think any chairman who has served for as long as he has won’t have experienced highs and lows during their tenure - from the achievement of mid-table National League football and knocking Barnsley out the FA Cup, to the absolute disaster that he presided over which followed, both on and off the pitch.

Every football club needs passionate and dedicated volunteers in the background, such as Grahame Rowley (and his family), to survive. And the man hours they all give us shouldn’t be underestimated. However in terms of the chairman role, it’s high time we looked beyond that and move our football club forward. Exciting times ahead.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 12:27:31 PM »

A big thank you from me for the the hard work the Grahame has put in over the years he has been on the board, as well as his chairmanship. For whatever the reason, he has taken a lot of stick and been through highs and lows, as has the club and all its players, board and management, not least the fans too.

Grahame is leaving his position, with the club very much on the up. I do hope the club promote from within but whoever it is will need to have the same dedication that Grahame and the board had. I think Grahame is leaving standing down at the end of the season so he can help the new chairman take over. All I can say is, chose the next chairman with same dedication and potential that Grahame had, whether it be from within or outside the club. I look forward to the club revealing who will be at the helm next season. If I had my choice anybody who is on the current board would be a preference, including possibly Ian Watmore?

I do hope this brings the stay-away fans back now, rather than next season, we need you from now! The club can start the new era by beating York tomorrow to keep us on the up. I do hope this happens.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »

It's a good job Glen Tamplin is based down south.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 03:34:50 PM »

I think Grahame is leaving standing down at the end of the season so he can help the new chairman take over.

The official statement on the club website reports that "Grahame Rowley announced that he will be stepping down as Chairman by the end of the season".

I may be reading too much into this but my interpretation of the use of the preposition 'by' rather than 'at' is that a successor could actually assume the role of chairman any time between now and late April 2020 (or, indeed, early May 2020 if we were to go the full distance in the play-offs).

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 03:42:08 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

arnald

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 09:08:13 PM »

When Graham goes some of my mates will come back
It will make this club a lot better in away
But ile miss him to chat to

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »

only just picked up on this..I agree with most of the comments above.

Couple of thoughts...its a tough job being any non-league chairman...limited budgets, high degree of local public exposure, expectations that are understandable very high, but also very hard to achieve on those budgets. And attracting investment is tough, because in truth non-league football isn't a great investment in the traditional sense so you are looking for people investing into a subset of the local community rather than investing to make the more normal financial returns.

Also, better the devil you know. Sure he made mistakes (few people in that job wouldn't), but lets see who we get to replace him. Look what happened to Macc, Vics to namer but 2.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham FC announcement - Grahame Rowley to step down as Chairman