Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The most scared youve been at an alty match????
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The most scared youve been at an alty match????  (Read 22170 times)

louise1925

Re: The most scared youve been at an alty match????
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2007, 10:37:03 PM »

FC United was the scariest for me, because it was so unexpected and I was close to the trouble. The Colchester game at Layer Road also sticks in the mind for my brother falling over the advertisements onto the pitch during the stampede. I had the good fortune to miss the Bishop Auckland match, though my dad still remembers it vividly - sounds rough.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2007, 10:40:05 PM »

JTH has brought back  the personal trauma of Gainsborough on the opening day of the 1976/7 season.Last Alty fan out of the Northolme....I got ambushed on the way to the coach.Seeking refuge in a garden across the road (still nostalgically viewed to this day on visits there) I was outraged by the member of the public who was going to save me only to hear the words...."No more than one of you in there"......definitely not what I wanted to hear.Legged it up the road before succumbing to the inevitable pummelling & life scarring!!!!

I need my medication........Nurse!!!

Altysmiffy

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2007, 10:50:29 PM »

Who remembers the 2nd leg of the Runcorn FA Trophy semi back in '78?   As I recall lots of Liverpool fans  causing us grief.  Remember having to climb the perimeter wall at one point to avoid the aggro and being on the touchline for a couple of mins.   

Liverpool fans causing grief? Never!

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2007, 11:12:54 PM »

Certainly the Runcorn away leg had tasty potential I went by coach but wisely left my scarf inside, got a lift back from The Gazelle's mates, Another SW if I recall so lost my treasured Alty silk scarf.

I remember now an incident with Mossley fans on my train home to Dane Rd, some of them targetted me and some other Alty fan I didn't know but some boys got on at Sale and kind of got involved, suffice to say the problem was dealt with.

Gazelle, misty memories but didn't we have some minor bother at the mighty Great Harwood once?

Ah, Steve.....now you've got me on to those great football staples of the '70s.....the silk scarf!!  My dad still  has one of those original Alty ones from the 70s in the coat closet under the stairs!  Couldn't believe he still had it.   All the white letters are creased and worn (after being tied round my wrist as was the way at the time)  but, still, what a football fashion statement!  I'm sure I also had a white one with red lettering from the 78 trophy final, can anyone confirm?! 

Altysmiffy

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 11:20:59 PM »

Certainly the Runcorn away leg had tasty potential I went by coach but wisely left my scarf inside, got a lift back from The Gazelle's mates, Another SW if I recall so lost my treasured Alty silk scarf.

I remember now an incident with Mossley fans on my train home to Dane Rd, some of them targetted me and some other Alty fan I didn't know but some boys got on at Sale and kind of got involved, suffice to say the problem was dealt with.

Gazelle, misty memories but didn't we have some minor bother at the mighty Great Harwood once?

Ah, Steve.....now you've got me on to those great football staples of the '70s.....the silk scarf!!  My dad still  has one of those original Alty ones from the 70s in the coat closet under the stairs!  Couldn't believe he still had it.   All the white letters are creased and worn (after being tied round my wrist as was the way at the time)  but, still, what a football fashion statement!  I'm sure I also had a white one with red lettering from the 78 trophy final, can anyone confirm?! 

Likely you did. I've got one that the missus won't let me display anywhere she can see it (she's Scottish & doesn't understand football!)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2007, 12:45:20 AM »

Easy.

When Brian Flynn hurtled down a grass bank screaming like a rabid jackal in an FA Trophy tie at Colwyn Bay in 1996 in celebration of our last minute equaliser in a 3-3 draw.

Utterly petrifying.   
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

thegazelle

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2007, 01:49:29 AM »

i still have a wembley 78 silk scarf in one of my treasured memories boxes in some friends house or other, one day we will be reunited.

the great harwood one is something of a blur but it involved some tw@t with a dangly earing and driving round great harwood looking for him in the other sw's green hillman i seem to recall chasing him down some alleyway but surprisingly not catching him and then deciding it was better to go and drink some thwaites

one of the funniest memories of the other SW was a weymouth at home game where surprise surprise we had a scoop or twenty in the moss and he was so p1ssed he fell asleep on the chequers end and we carried hurse like with the funeral march being chanted to the golf road when we changed ends at half time.

runcorn in the trophy we got attacked as soon as we walked into the ground and as usual foxy took the brunt of the assault he was led off by the st johns lot and i remember thinking i wish i could go with him. i can still picture my view from the canal end of the ball boucing off mal baileys head and thinking oh sh*t what do we do now, the rest i recalled earlier but what a moment.

one of the funniest football violence moments was when we played rochdale in the early eighties around falklands war time. ozzy the punk had already upset my school teacher mother with his f**k argentina tea shirt as he called for me to go to the moss for our usual 11am start.

rochdale unbeknown to me had started an attempt to take the golf road and i had gone for a piss, as i walked past some young herbert leapt on my back and attacked me i shook him off and turned to face possibly 20/30 rochdale fans on my own about half way down the golfroadthinking i was done for. only to hear their leader say sorry ozzy i didnt know you were an alty fan we'll go back to our own end and they promptly all turned around and left such was ozzys reputation.

and just to prove i remeber the football as well we won, had 3? players sent off and vic Callow was the referee and did derek goulding score or was he sent off

somehow the fear made it all the sweeter when we won and boy was i happy to get back on the coach on several occassions

i dont try to gloryfy those days and am sometimes embarrassed about some of my antics (but we all know that feeling
heh gary/young denis etc)

but those days were outstanding in my life and i wouldnt change any of it.
the nearest i have felt to it was the play off wins and that oh so sweet equaliser at the new swill field

and in a slightly oiled mood it was all for my beloved Alty FC

drunken ramble over but sw does keep firing the bullets to jog ny hazy memory

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2007, 07:11:22 AM »

FA cup replay at Ellesmere Port we won ,their fans invaded the pitch to try and get the game stopped,then walking back in the car park a group of then ambushed us,my Uncle hid behind a car,the rest of us got stuck in.In the end we beat them off,but was pretty scarey at the time,sometime in the 70s i think.
My father (alty fan)would give the Alty players some stick if he thought any of them were not playing well and then he would turn on any fan that disagreed with him( he has been seen trying to stangle the odd home home),so always tried to stay a few yards away from him.he is to old for that sort of thing though now and he still goes to Moss Lane
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 07:18:56 AM by hsmith1 »
Harold

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2007, 09:38:31 AM »

I too had the white Wembley 78 silk scarf with the red lettering, it was the original red one i lost at Runcorn. No idea what happened to the Wembley one, likely to be a victim of my mum's "tidying up sessions"

A later scarf was the red one with a white centre band with Altrincham printed along it, some sort of acrylic fibre. I swapped mine with a Yeovil fan in the Moss at the last game of the 80-81 season when we had won the title at Worcester the game before. still got the Yeovil scarf.

That was the game when Alty and Yeovil fans mixed on the terrace until the old Bill decided to seperate everyone. As I now had a Yeovil scarf on I was moved protesting to the Chequers end with the majority of Yeovil fans!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

York Alty

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »

I was at the Frickley game and whilst it certainly was a nasty atmosphere, made worse by th goal and what happened to their keeper, I thnik there is a difference.

That was th height of the miners strike, we were well and truly in their patch, and the locals had taken all sorts of grief from all sides, including the police who behaved appalingly throughout that dispute.

Yes that match meets all the criteria of scared at an Alty games but there was a national political and social backdrop that provided the aggro.

Up The Miners.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2007, 04:51:05 PM »

My partner is from a former mining village in South Yorkshire, I met her in 1983 at Poly. Went to her Dad's house in the village at Xmas 83, in the middle of the strike. I got a £10 note out and ordered cod and chips in the local chippy. It was totally without thinking..............that's the most scared I've ever been in a chippy! It didn't go down well at all.l
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jacko

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2007, 06:03:35 PM »

i remember the moss rose 5-2 thashing we got most of all becuase of two really old blokes genuinly going for it next to the corner flag, think the macc fan got a decent dig in then the alty geezer was led away by 2 police!! he was shouting "you lucky sheep shxxxxxx txxt!!!!! i'll be back for you ya blue nose cxxx!!! to this day i dont think ive ever laughed  as much on a train home as much as i did, awesome!!! if your on here respect to you sir!!!

thegazelle

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2007, 06:11:59 PM »

Whats pink and covers the front of a c**t

Arthur Scargills tie

all was not as it seemed and has been portrayed on the tele etc

A mate of mine spent plenty of time up there as a bobby on the frontline and he tells stories of the quiet days when rent a mob and all were not present. They used to chat with the miners round a fire and provisions were passed from the over fed police ranks to the miners. Then the mobs would turn up and it was back to action stations.
a bit like playing football on xmas day and all that.

in my opinion mr scargill had a lot to answer for !!!!!

markecky

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2007, 08:57:53 AM »

Maybe I get scared easier than most as I seem to have a list as long as my arm!  I had a run of beign assaulted by men twice my age due to being tall which was very annoying.  In no particular order

Macc on Boxing Day - Circa 1987 - (age12) - Me and my mate walked out of the golf road end and past a load of Macc fans.  One was really fat (oo the irony) and as we walked past I blew my cheeks out and did that spaceman walk that you used to do to really big people, he saw me and chased me.  Turned out that he was a fat sprinter, I ran up Sandileigh and for no reason at all decided to do an immediate right and hide behind Rent Equip.  He saw me and chased me down the entry and punched me in the face.  Remember beign worried about going home as my Gran was round and I would have to explain why my cheek was massive. 

Colchester away 1991- As mentioned by Joe, 7000 in the ground, about 200 from Alty (which was massive for us then), the home end was full so the police thought they would let a few squaddies into our end as there was some room.  Within five minutes I looked to my right and there was windmill punches being rained on anyone from the North.  I looked left and Rob Dawson was hiding behind me despite me being 16 and him about 28! Got a smack on the nose from a man who was wider than he was tall.  One of my memories of the day was Pete Hennerly lifting children over the barrier onto the pitch to get them away.  Not nice at all.

Port Vale at home - 15 vale fans decided the home end was more fun and proceeded to ruin the match by standing right next to us chanting "vale, vale,vale".  We were awful that day.  I think it was Carl Dyson who got out very late consolation goal.  It wasn't even worth celebrating, i clapped and a bloke grabbed my adidas managers coat and dragged me from the back of the golf rd end to the front.  Really no need!

Halifax at home - The game when they all came in fancy dress.  Again managed to get a smack, this time from a guy in a prison outfit with a ball and chain around his foot. I knew then that the early release of prisoners was not a good thing.  Two arabs just laughed at me and a crocodile just  carried on smoking.

Morecambe away - I think we won one nil and I was clapping Barry Butler off when the biggest Leeds fan in the world hit me from behind.  It was like on a cartoon when a boxer knees wobble, they see colours and fall over.  Never clapped Barry Butler again.

I should point out that I have been to matches and not been assaulted!  Due to our excellent stewarding and me beign a big quicker with ducking, not seen much in the last ten years.

Happy times!

DarrenH

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2007, 11:21:12 AM »

I remember one mid week match in the mid 80's away at Macc when only one exit gate was opened and we have to leave through all the macc fans. My mate got a right slap. Not scary now but when you are about 13 years old.
Frickley was pretty bad too. Guys in miners jackets climbing over the fence into the away end half way through the match and being kept in for what seemed like ages. Had forgotten all about the guy in the white pants running up the slag heap.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The most scared youve been at an alty match????