PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stan Allan RIP
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stan Allan RIP  (Read 7504 times)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Stan Allan RIP
« on: November 25, 2019, 10:52:30 PM »

Skelmersdale United have announced the sad news of the death of Stan Allan. He won the FA Amateur Cup with them before moving to Moss Lane where he became the first player to win the Trophy as well as the Amateur Cup.
He played in the first game I ever saw, which will hardly be unusual as he played for us for years, and was our record appearance holder at the time. I remember him as a very dependable right back, who later returned as manager for the difficult 1991-92 season after a successful spell managing Witton Albion.
RIP Stan and thoughts with his family and friends.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Stan Allan RIP
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 11:01:23 PM »

RIP Stan, truly one of the club's legends

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 11:07:43 PM »

Right from the very start of my support of Altrincham FC, Stan was our first choice right-back, way back in late 1974. He was with us a few years too, as I am sure he played in our Gola League winning team in the 1979-81 years.

So very very sad to hear this news, my heartfelt condolences to Stan's friends and family.

RIP Stan

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 11:34:54 PM »

Absolutely gutted.
ALTY legend.
My thoughts to his family, you should be proud of Allan.
He gave so much joy to Altrincham fans, I’m also sure to his family as well
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:36:40 PM by B. 4D »

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 11:59:32 PM »

Stan was a near ever present in his first 10 seasons at Moss Lane, playing at Everton, Spurs and Liverpool; winning two Alliance Premier League titles with us; being the first player to win both the FA Amateur Cup and FA Trophy and playing a critical part in our greatest ever comeback in 1979.  Those of us of a certain age will all have our Stan Allen memories and he will be sorely missed

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 12:40:03 AM »

First ever post on here, but an Alty fan since the 1970s. Stan Allan is a true legend for the club, and this weekend's FA Cup 2nd round match at Portsmouth is a fitting tribute to one of very few players who appeared in pretty much every 2nd and 3rd round FA Cup match from 1972 to 1983 for The Robins.  He personified the glory years, was the club's talisman and beating heart, and I like to think his spirit will be watching over the players on Saturday, willing them to emulate the glory years, and kick-start the new Glory Years, which our marvellous younger supporters richly deserve to experience. RIP Stan and thank you

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 02:22:13 AM »

Very sad news regarding a tremendous servant to Altrincham FC who was an integral member of the most successful team that this club has ever had.

So many happy memories of his playing career as a fiercely competitive and consistent right full back with the Robins from the 1970s Northern Premier League days right up to those hugely memorable opening two seasons of the nascent Alliance Premier League.

He didn't score that many goals but there was that spectacular beautiful freak of a strike at Bath City on Easter Saturday, 5th April 1980. In the 29th minute, Stan launched a hopeful and innocuous-looking punt from inside his own half but as the home side's goalkeeper Bennett ventured out of his goal to collect the ball (and with John Rogers simultaneously turning around to lambaste his team mate for overhitting the intended through ball!), he misjudged its trajectory and it promptly bounced up off the hard, dry pitch and sailed over his head before continuing on its inexorable route into the vacant net.

That very same season, I also recall Stan as an outfield player obliged to assume the role of goalkeeper during that bruising Moss Lane encounter with the heinous Northwich Victoria after the Vics' towering central defender Jeff Forshaw had rearranged Alex Stepney's facial features without the aid of an anaesthetic. Stan went on to keep a clean sheet, too.   

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Time to dig out that famous photograph from the FA Cup Third Round 1-1 draw against Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday, 4th January 1975:

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 06:06:22 AM »

very sad lost RIP Stan
Harold

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 10:04:04 AM »

I'm supposing Stan would have played in my first ever Alty game, the Notts County FA Cup game. Sad news.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »

Very sad to hear this. Stan was one of the foundations of the most successful Altrincham team and was there from start to finish. Nobody would argue he was the greatest player but he was consistent, solid and reliable. Also one of the most misspelt surnames of all Alty players! 

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 10:28:55 AM »

RIP Stan, condolences to friends and family. True Alty Legend at right back, he was there from when I first started supporting Alty around 1976 through our glory years of winning the Alliance Premier League. Played in those many memorable Cup games and at Wembley. Thanks for the memories.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 10:49:45 AM »

I'm supposing Stan would have played in my first ever Alty game, the Notts County FA Cup game. Sad news.

He did....that was my debut as a ball boy & one of my memories is of Stan asking me to hold on to the ball when it went out of play, to slow the game down before he took a throw-in.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 11:26:54 AM »

A true Altrincham legend. Not the most technically gifted full back we ever had, but he compensated for that with a stubborn refusal to give second best to any opponent. He could drive you mad with his occasional tendency to mess around with the ball on the edge of his own penalty area, but if he lost the ball it was odds- on he'd get it back. I've so many memories of him, most of them positive. RIP Stan.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »

Can't really add much more (especially the postings of Cult and Management Guru), but what a reliable player, what a team he was an integral part of. Those 1st two season of the APL where we pretty much swept all before us and we expected to win (nearly) every FA Cup tie we went into. What a time to be alive and an Alty fan...thanks for the memories. RIP
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 07:25:44 PM »

When Stan played alongside Gerry Casey, it must have been hard to play against both of them together. The photo of them both going in to that tackle at Everton made me wince!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stan Allan RIP