PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Portsmouth match thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: Portsmouth match thread  (Read 33089 times)

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Portsmouth match thread
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2019, 09:21:28 PM »

Pompey say 8,000 home fans. I do hope it’s better than that.
Sure they took more to Wembley the other year🤔

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2019, 09:31:56 PM »

Unfortunately, home fans don't turn out in numbers for a game against lower opposition for a cup match. We had 680 against Whitley Bay in the Cup last season, and that  included a good away support.

A total attendance approaching 9000 is, if anything, a bit more than I was expecting and a decent effort from Portsmouth.

Pompey Paul

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2019, 11:53:15 PM »

Unfortunately, home fans don't turn out in numbers for a game against lower opposition for a cup match. We had 680 against Whitley Bay in the Cup last season, and that  included a good away support.

A total attendance approaching 9000 is, if anything, a bit more than I was expecting and a decent effort from Portsmouth.

Looking at the second round fixture list the only tie that I can see that may have more people attending is Bristol Rovers v Plymouth because its a West Country derby.
From Altrincham's receipts point of view I think that its the best possible tie you could have got.
I know that we (Pompey) will have been aware that its important to you, pricing of the match at £15 is probably maximising the shared revenue at the expense of another 1000 or so home supporters. (Our leasing.com match against Northampton on Tues is £10).
Our FA Cup second round fixture last year was on a Sunday away to Rochdale and attended by 2500 of which 600 came from Pompey (despite the match being on BT) for context.
I think whoever it was at your club (manager?) raising expectations of a 15 k crowd at this stage was probably a bit optimistic.
You are very welcome at Fratton Park and we will do our best to make a noise! It may not be a state of the art stadium by modern standards but in terms of traditional stadiums its pretty good.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2019, 12:16:33 AM »

Looking at the second round fixture list the only tie that I can see that may have more people attending is Bristol Rovers v Plymouth because its a West Country derby.
From Altrincham's receipts point of view I think that its the best possible tie you could have got.
I know that we (Pompey) will have been aware that its important to you, pricing of the match at £15 is probably maximising the shared revenue at the expense of another 1000 or so home supporters. (Our leasing.com match against Northampton on Tues is £10).
Our FA Cup second round fixture last year was on a Sunday away to Rochdale and attended by 2500 of which 600 came from Pompey (despite the match being on BT) for context.
I think whoever it was at your club (manager?) raising expectations of a 15 k crowd at this stage was probably a bit optimistic.
You are very welcome at Fratton Park and we will do our best to make a noise! It may not be a state of the art stadium by modern standards but in terms of traditional stadiums its pretty good.

After two visits to the khazi at Bootham crescent Fratton Park will be fantastic.

Bring it on.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2019, 10:15:10 AM »

Most of us don't like the soulless modern stadiums, whatever their facilities may be; I certainly don't and am much happier visiting a traditional ground like yours.

Traveling in hope, not expectation and looking forward to a good day out whatever the result.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2019, 11:26:49 AM »

I’ve had a fiver on 1-0 Alty. Just the 25-1. Fingers crossed.

Number 23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »

I suspect a some home fans might make a late decision about whether to go. The win on Tuesday (when the atmosphere was excellent) might encourage a few more.
And if there are 600 Alty fans that'll be three times what Rotherham brought.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »

I reckon we are heading for our biggest crowd for an Alty 2nd Round FA Cup match.

Currently it looks like this:

1973 (a) Blackburn Rovers 8564
1968 (h) Barrow 8462
1965 (a) Rochdale 8367
1979 (a) Rotherham United 6083

Barrow were in Division 3 at the time for our younger viewers.  And in my opinion, the win at Rotherham was one of our best ever performances in the Cup.  Just three years after going there and getting beat 5-0 we controlled the second game, showing just how much progress we had made in that time

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2019, 12:11:30 PM »

Looks like it will be 8500 to 9000 Bill - any idea what the final total Alty tickets sold given the deadline of midday has just passed  understand it was just over 600 as of about 5pm yesterday, according to a contact I have at the club. 

If Pompey had sold 8000 by yesterday afternoon that is good enough for me - but you never know they may have sold a few more this morning  - and will they be selling home tickets on the day? Still hold out the hope that we will sneak into 10000 plus - but perfectly happy with 8500 to 9000.

I thought Preston away was about 8800 - was that 1st round then?

Agree Rotherham away one of our all time best performances - was 12 at the time and still ranks as one of top all time away day experiences for me - seem to remember we had a packed special train plus 4 coaches for that match - and easily over 1500 in their vast away end at Millmoor.  Was at the match 2 years previously when they thumped us 5 0 and that was still a great day out.

Tomorrow will be a fantastic day whatever happens - something epic about 600 plus travelling such a long way by train, coach, car, plane - I reckon - and probably boat as well - stuff of legends. Its like a gathering of the global Alty clan

Come on Alty!!

Pompey Paul

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2019, 01:17:59 PM »

Looks like it will be 8500 to 9000 Bill - any idea what the final total Alty tickets sold given the deadline of midday has just passed  understand it was just over 600 as of about 5pm yesterday, according to a contact I have at the club. 

If Pompey had sold 8000 by yesterday afternoon that is good enough for me - but you never know they may have sold a few more this morning  - and will they be selling home tickets on the day? Still hold out the hope that we will sneak into 10000 plus - but perfectly happy with 8500 to 9000.

I thought Preston away was about 8800 - was that 1st round then?

Agree Rotherham away one of our all time best performances - was 12 at the time and still ranks as one of top all time away day experiences for me - seem to remember we had a packed special train plus 4 coaches for that match - and easily over 1500 in their vast away end at Millmoor.  Was at the match 2 years previously when they thumped us 5 0 and that was still a great day out.

Tomorrow will be a fantastic day whatever happens - something epic about 600 plus travelling such a long way by train, coach, car, plane - I reckon - and probably boat as well - stuff of legends. Its like a gathering of the global Alty clan

Come on Alty!!

Pompey Home Fans can buy tickets on line up to the day through "print at home" and on the day at the ticket office.
Its a bright sunny day on the south coast and tomorrow is forecast to be dry until 8pm might encourage a few stragglers.
Any Alty fans coming by Hovercraft can get a discount, details here https://www.hovertravel.co.uk/special-offers/portsmouth-fc-match-day-flyer/ ;)

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2019, 02:12:55 PM »

Thanks Pompey Paul - if I had time I would have loved to get the Hoverbus just to try it out. Does Pompey have a strong fanbase in IOW? Guessing Ryde will be a Pompey town, are there Pompey towns and Southampton - sorry, Scummer - towns on IOW?

I reckon with pay on the day that we may well sneak over 10000.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2019, 05:00:19 PM »

The Great Trek begins tonight. In fact, now.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »

The Great Trek begins tonight. In fact, now.
Indeed, currently on a train from Cornwall to London so I can train it down there tomorrow

Jenga

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2019, 06:12:36 PM »

Currently on the vino as driving down in the morning.

Pompey Paul

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2019, 08:08:21 PM »

Thanks Pompey Paul - if I had time I would have loved to get the Hoverbus just to try it out. Does Pompey have a strong fanbase in IOW? Guessing Ryde will be a Pompey town, are there Pompey towns and Southampton - sorry, Scummer - towns on IOW?

I reckon with pay on the day that we may well sneak over 10000.

Pompey has quite a big following on the island. They have their own supporters club who arranges coach travel to most away games.
On evening games there is a double-decker bus that goes directly from the ground to a football special hovercraft. The ferries often wait if theres extra time at a cup match as well.
I think even Newport is considered to be a Pompey Town. Pompey does the football coaching for the kids there.
I guess the Scummers don't like crossing the water, it takes them away from "looking after" their Ponies. ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Portsmouth match thread