PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mike Garnett RIP
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mike Garnett RIP  (Read 7333 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Mike Garnett RIP
« on: December 28, 2019, 06:43:55 PM »

I was extremely sad to learn today of the death of long-standing Altrincham FC supporter Mike Garnett (alias 'roytonmike' on this forum), who had followed the fortunes of this club both home and away assiduously since the late 1960s.

A familiar figure leaning on the perimeter fence at the Golf Road End just to the side of the goal, Mike was a regular and sagacious contributor to the Robins Review over many years and a veritable fount of statistical information in relation to the club and its players, much of which he was kind enough to share with me.

As a friend has just texted to me, Mike was fundamentally a good man with whom to watch and talk football.

My condolences to his family and friends (particularly his fellow Alty compatriots Kim Brocklehurst, Malcolm Riley and USA exile Howard Watts).
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Garnett RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 06:52:41 PM »

Indeed, yes. It's very sad news. Mike was an extremely knowledgeable historian and statistician of the club, as well as a friend, and I will miss his knowledge and company very much.
RIP Mike.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:49:37 PM by Sale Holmfield »

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 07:45:14 PM »

As well as being an absolute fount of football knowledge, Mike was the only man I knew who had seen Arsene Wenger play. RIP.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 08:22:38 PM »

Another stalwart says goodbye  :'( RIP x
Come on you red and white........

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:32:49 PM »

I knew of Mike and often saw him standing with his friends pitchside. The longest conversation I had with him was in Alfreton train station in our relegation season. He correctly predicted our relegation.

RIP.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 08:44:54 PM »

Absolutely shocked, His knowledge was unbelievable.
Thoughts go out to his family

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 08:46:45 PM »

Always a knowledgeable and entertaining contributor to this forum; this is very sad news.

My condolences to Mike's family and many friends.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 09:15:42 PM »

Totally shocked and saddened by this news.  I had the pleasure knowing Mike as a colleague when, in 1996, I got a job where he was already in position.  Over the 10 years that followed, we shared many conversations about The Robins and in doing so he became the catalyst that drew me back to Moss Lane after a few years absence.  Now, as a season ticket holder along with my son, it has been a pleasure to stand with him leaning against the perimeter fence.

As others have already said, he possessed a formidable knowledge of the football club; not a game went by when I didn't wonder at his ability to recall some ostensibly minor detail from a game that had taken place (sometimes) decades ago.

The club has lost one of its most devoted and longstanding fans.  My thoughts, naturally, are with the family and with those who knew him.  R.I.P. Mike.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 09:36:19 PM »

A lot of history and knowledge about the club has been lost with this terrible news, mike is another of the ‘always been there’ people that the club has lost with alarming regularity in recent times. I was truly taken aback when the announcement was made today, so sad. He had one of the original altrincham fc coats, that’s an enduring memory of Mike I’ll have despite him not sporting in recent years

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 10:18:21 PM »

A sad day indeed. Condolences to his family and friends.

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 10:51:04 PM »

Very shocked at Mike's passing - I had no idea he was so ill - he has been a permanent fixture at pretty much every Alty match I have been to in 40 odd years.  I didn't know him well but have been honoured to be part of the little group Mike was the heart and soul of at a few matches and his views were always considered, pertinent and very forthright. He knew his football, and he knew and loved Alty FC as much as any supporter we have ever had.

I saw at close quarters how deeply the terrible seasons of successive relegations impacted his beloved Robins - Thank God he got to see 2 full seasons and a bit more of Phil Parkinson's brand of football bringing the club back from the brink - Mike didn't hand out praise lightly but I know he rated Phil highly and loved the way the team plays under him.

Rest in Peace Mike as you join the Great Statistician in the sky.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 02:03:00 AM »

The man in the cap located in his favourite spot:

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 07:06:45 AM »

very sad news RIP
Harold

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 11:49:10 AM »

I didn't know Mike, and until now I'd never been able to put a name to the face but I now realise I'd seen him virtually every time I have been to an Altrincham game in the last twenty plus years. Add to that all the times I have read his contributions to John Laidlar's website. Very sad news.

ianpickles

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 12:25:47 PM »

Please may I thank you for posting this fabulous picture. This scene of three men at a match has been a constant of my many but infrequent visits to Moss Lane for many years. I always went to see Kim Brocklehurst and talked to Mike as well. If you see this post Kim I am sorry to hear that you have lost such a good friend.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mike Garnett RIP