PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team of the decade
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Team of the decade  (Read 10899 times)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Team of the decade
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 09:46:28 AM »

Coburn, Dens, Griffin, Luca, Young, Moult, Kearney, Hancock, Watmore, Clee, Little

Reeves, Wally, Cavanagh, Marshall, Tomlinson

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 05:46:12 PM »

Good to see Tom Marshall get a couple of mentions, him and Hannigan  would have made a great partnership in my opinion.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 06:16:23 PM »

Who was Cavanagh? I have no recollection of him at all.

Central midfielder signed in the summer of 2014. Bags of football league experience, bags of quality. Exactly the sort of signing you should be making when you get promoted to the National League.
Made players around him look comfortable at the level too, many of who fell into a Peter Cavanagh shaped black hole the following season after he left in the summer to take up a coaching role elsewhere.

Depends on what criteria you are using. If you are considering overall contribution to the club over the past 10 years, then Jake Moult strolls in ahead of him. If you are selecting the best 11 players to play for the club over the decade, then Cavanagh is an absolute shoo-in for me.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 11:45:50 PM »

Well Coburn, Densmore, Watmore and Clee get in everybody’s team......Have I missed anybody

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 05:50:02 PM »

Who was Cavanagh? I have no recollection of him at all.

Central midfielder signed in the summer of 2014. Bags of football league experience, bags of quality. Exactly the sort of signing you should be making when you get promoted to the National League.
Made players around him look comfortable at the level too, many of who fell into a Peter Cavanagh shaped black hole the following season after he left in the summer to take up a coaching role elsewhere.

Depends on what criteria you are using. If you are considering overall contribution to the club over the past 10 years, then Jake Moult strolls in ahead of him. If you are selecting the best 11 players to play for the club over the decade, then Cavanagh is an absolute shoo-in for me.

I asked him to contact the club on Twitter (I watch Rochdale every now and then, they were surprised to see him released).

He said 'thanks will do' and he was named in the very next line up. Surreal to see him captain the team v Bristol Rovers a few weeks later.

Shame we couldn't have had him for longer.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 10:33:34 PM »

Well Coburn, Densmore, Watmore and Clee get in everybody’s team......Have I missed anybody
little
Come on you red and white........

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2020, 11:47:41 PM »

little
Not in Brian Flynn’s team

Matt Taylor

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »

It’s not for me to tell people who they should or shouldn’t have in their own personal team of the decade. However, if I was Damien Reeves and I’d scored 150+ goals in 6 seasons during the 2010s, at a better than 1 in 2 strike rate, scored goals in 3 different seasons at National League level (in an otherwise forgettable decade for the football club), passed 40+ goals in consecutive Conf North seasons (in sides not challenging for the title), and I still couldn’t get into everybody’s team of the decade, then I’d be wondering what more I could possibly do as a forward...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:42:34 PM by Matt Taylor »

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 12:02:27 PM »

Colin Little was not only a goalscorer, he was a superb footballer too.

Forgot to add, he'd grace our present team too.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »

Colin Little left Alty in 2010. A shoe-in for the previous decade but not the past one.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 12:53:38 PM »

little

Technically, Colin Little isn't eligible for this team, as he didn't play for Alty in this decade, as he retired in 2010 & the decade technically started in 2011.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2020, 01:14:02 PM »

little

Technically, Colin Little isn't eligible for this team, as he didn't play for Alty in this decade, as he retired in 2010 & the decade technically started in 2011.

Maybe, however the opening question on the thread was using Jan 2010 - Dec 2019 as the reference.

Colin Little undoubtedly a player from the previous decade. However, if selecting a best 11 on ability rather than sentiment/overall contribution, within the timeframe above, then I’d still have a 2010 Colin Little amongst the best 11 players to represent the club.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2020, 02:28:26 PM »

It’s not for me to tell people who they should or shouldn’t have in their own personal team of the decade. However, if I was Damien Reeves and I’d scored 150+ goals in 6 seasons during the 2010s, at a better than 1 in 2 strike rate, scored goals in 3 different seasons at National League level (in an otherwise forgettable decade for the football club), passed 40+ goals in consecutive Conf North seasons (in sides not challenging for the title), and I still couldn’t get into everybody’s team of the decade, then I’d be wondering what more I could possibly do as a forward...

Just going back to look at my selection again, I'd consider Reevesy at his peak feeding off Jordan Hulme a mouth-watering prospect.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2020, 09:46:19 PM »

little

Maybe, however the opening question on the thread was using Jan 2010 - Dec 2019 as the reference.

Colin Little undoubtedly a player from the previous decade. However, if selecting a best 11 on ability rather than sentiment/overall contribution, within the timeframe above, then I’d still have a 2010 Colin Little amongst the best 11 players to represent the club.

Good point, Matt.......based on this, I would amend my team as follows:-

Stuart Coburn

Shaun Densmore | James Jones | Tom Hannigan | Nicky Clee

Simon Richman | Jake Moult

Duncan Watmore |Josh Hancock | John Johnston

Jordan Hulme

Subs
Colin Little
Damian Reeves
James Walshaw
Tom Marshall
Scott Leather
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:48:24 PM by Brian Flynn »

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2020, 10:37:07 PM »

I am going to argue a technicality - if we are looking at the most influential player in each position over the decade, I nominate Greg Wilkinson to sit on the bench
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team of the decade