News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Aside from Football

Author Topic: Aside from Football  (Read 4578 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Aside from Football
« on: January 11, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »

Just heard the news that one of my favourite rock-bands, Rush, have just lost their supremely talented drummer to brain cancer, Neil Peart. Gutted by the news, anybody else here a fan of Rush like me.

Apologies for putting on our site, know it's nothing to do with Alty, but very sad at this news, superb drummer and also the band's lyricist.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Aside from Football
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 06:31:29 PM »

They were 'big' when I was at school in the 70s / early eighties.......my 24 year son has seen them live on two occasions....he watches many bands, all music types etc and says it was the best gig he has ever been to
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 07:01:27 PM »

Seen them twice myself in the last 10 years or so, both times at the MEN - superb musicians, all of them.

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:49:35 PM »

Rush was my first proper gig at the Manchester Apollo in - I think - 1980 - and they were incredible - so loud it scared me out of my wits! Saw them again in 1981 at - of all places - Deeside Ice rink near Chester - saw Motorhead there that year as well - I think it held 6000 standing and 1000 seated at the time so was a big stadium at the time, before the days of stadium rock.  Neil Peart was the best drummer I ever saw - and is still widely held by drummers as the best.

Terribly sad - off to the great gig in the sky.

Any younger posters who may feel this all kind of excludes them - check Rush out - you may or may not love them - but you will surely agree that that boy could drum!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 04:24:25 AM »

Any young fans who do not know of them, they are a Canadian rock band from Willowdale, a suburb of Toronto. They have three members, lead singer and bass player Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer/lyricist Neil Peart. They formed in 1968 and disbanded three years ago, probrably because of Neil's illness. They were a superb live band and excellent musicians and songwriters. I have most of their albums.

My two other favourite bands are Genesis and Led Zeppelin, and they are like a fusion between the two. They are more popular in the US and Canada, but have a big cult following in the UK and are Canada's most popular band. They have also inspired many other artists over the years. Listen to their 2112 anthem - side one of their album of the same name. It is superb, and is all of them playing and pushing the bounds of musical talent. Wonderful band, complex music and inspiring lyrics, some about sci-fi but a lot about life's struggles.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 11:31:08 AM »

I'm sorry for your loss, Steve
It's all my fault.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 02:31:22 PM »

"We are only immortal for a limited time".

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 02:55:23 PM »

I always think being a proficient musician is overrated

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »

Never got Rush despite being into Zeppelin and others. Always seemed a bit indulgent. Prefer the more blues rock line. I'll perhaps give them a listen maybe my tastes have matured a bit.

Is this the most off-topic Alty thread ever?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 07:55:36 PM »

Funnily enough, as I am now 62, a lot of my bands have fallen by the wayside and I know that as they are all older than me, they are now moving on and as in Neil's case do not last forever.

I guess this is a new part of me getting old now. I was happy cos they were still active until 3 years ago; but there again nothing lasts forever and they were helping me hang on to my youth. Funnily enough, they were one of the few bands that crossed into my next generation as both my kids like them, and have seen them perform live, accompanying to both the concerts.

Brian Flynn; I would love it if you could play Time Stand Still by Rush during half time on Tuesday on RR in memory of Neil Peart. It is about the passage of time but more importantly, showcases Neil Peart's drumming abilities and superb drum fills. A request only from me, no problem if you are unable. Thanks in advance, Brian.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 07:58:35 PM »

SW, agree with you re Zeppelin, also along with Rush/Genesis, one of my top 3 with favourites. I am sorry for hijacking the thread, sometimes it's nice to talk about other things also, aside from football and this has still drawn replies as a subject. Grateful for all your postings guys! Thanks!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 10:41:15 PM »

Funnily enough, as I am now 62, a lot of my bands have fallen by the wayside and I know that as they are all older than me, they are now moving on and as in Neil's case do not last forever.

I guess this is a new part of me getting old now. I was happy cos they were still active until 3 years ago; but there again nothing lasts forever and they were helping me hang on to my youth. Funnily enough, they were one of the few bands that crossed into my next generation as both my kids like them, and have seen them perform live, accompanying to both the concerts.

Brian Flynn; I would love it if you could play Time Stand Still by Rush during half time on Tuesday on RR in memory of Neil Peart. It is about the passage of time but more importantly, showcases Neil Peart's drumming abilities and superb drum fills. A request only from me, no problem if you are unable. Thanks in advance, Brian.

Hi Steve.....certainly can do that.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 02:53:10 PM »

Thanks Brian, looking forward to listening in tonight as the game is on I have heard.

Very many thanks for this Brian.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Aside from Football