News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Referee accountability

Author Topic: Referee accountability  (Read 3354 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Referee accountability
« on: January 15, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »

Having considered all the circumstances of last night's postponement, especially B.4D's comments, I am forced to conclude that the referee, Adam Herczeg from (I think) Gateshead, simply didn't fancy it.

It reminds me of the famous postponement of our Trophy game at Buxton 40 years ago, when it was alleged that the referee called it off because he didn't think he'd get back home to Lincoln if it snowed again.

A lot of people were severely inconvenienced and left out of pocket by the late decision to call the game off. Spennymoor will have to pay the cost of needlessly turning on the floodlights for example. Players will have, in many cases, lost time at work.

Spennymoor's chairman's offer to fund our coach was a fine gesture, but I note his phrase "we respect the referee's decision". B.4D reckons that the ref cited "Health & Safety", and I do wonder what guidelines he may have been following.

Whilst we don't want to go back to the times illustrated by the iconic photograph of Tom Finney having an in-play cold shower, the line must surely be drawn  somewhere reasonable.

Do referees have to submit a report to the league when they postpone, and if so, how detailed is it ? Do clubs have any grounds to raise an official complaint if they feel that the decision to call off a game was unreasonable ?

Mr.Herczog would have got home in time to watch Spurs v Boro last night. Our travelling contingent didn't even have that consolation.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Referee accountability
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:08:34 PM »

But, even though they thought that it was playable, the onus should have been on Spennymore to have called a local ref at 4pm "just to check".  Having not done this any argument that its been playable all day can't be considered.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 02:25:38 PM »

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 07:11:28 PM »

http://www.lusoweb.co.uk/20011470139.jpg

This wasn't an issue for the referee, it was a section on the side opposite the main stand.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 07:18:35 PM »

Having considered all the circumstances of last night's postponement, especially B.4D's comments, I am forced to conclude that the referee, Adam Herczeg from (I think) Gateshead, simply didn't fancy it.

It reminds me of the famous postponement of our Trophy game at Buxton 40 years ago, when it was alleged that the referee called it off because he didn't think he'd get back home to Lincoln if it snowed again.

A lot of people were severely inconvenienced and left out of pocket by the late decision to call the game off. Spennymoor will have to pay the cost of needlessly turning on the floodlights for example. Players will have, in many cases, lost time at work.

Spennymoor's chairman's offer to fund our coach was a fine gesture, but I note his phrase "we respect the referee's decision". B.4D reckons that the ref cited "Health & Safety", and I do wonder what guidelines he may have been following.

Whilst we don't want to go back to the times illustrated by the iconic photograph of Tom Finney having an in-play cold shower, the line must surely be drawn  somewhere reasonable.

Do referees have to submit a report to the league when they postpone, and if so, how detailed is it ? Do clubs have any grounds to raise an official complaint if they feel that the decision to call off a game was unreasonable ?

Mr.Herczog would have got home in time to watch Spurs v Boro last night. Our travelling contingent didn't even have that consolation.

Phil.......are you referring to January 20th 1973
If so, that was a nailed on postponement.
The kick-off time was changed on the Friday from 3pm to 2pm as there was zero chance of the game being played after 4pm.
As I emerged from Buxton railway station, I saw a sight that I have never seen on the day of a football match that I have been attending, before or since, namely someone skiing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:25:02 PM by Brian Flynn »

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 07:44:02 PM »

Whilst we don't want to go back to the times illustrated by the iconic photograph of Tom Finney having an in-play cold shower, the line must surely be drawn  somewhere reasonable.

Phil.......are you referring to January 20th 1973
If so, that was a nailed on postponement.
The kick-off time was changed on the Friday from 3pm to 2pm as there was zero chance of the game being played after 4pm.
As I emerged from Buxton railway station, I saw a sight that I have never seen on the day of a football match that I have been attending, before or since, namely someone skiing.

I have never, ever been to Buxton when it has not rained....apart from when it has snowed!

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 10:13:48 PM »

http://www.lusoweb.co.uk/20011470139.jpg

This wasn't an issue for the referee, it was a section on the side opposite the main stand.

Correct Brian,
I’ve said what I thought, but who am I,
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Referee accountability