News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Coronavirus

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 5303 times)

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Coronavirus
« on: March 10, 2020, 04:22:59 PM »

There’s talk of Premier League games in this country being played behind closed doors in the not too distant future if this virus continues to spread, as seems likely.

Do we think this would be extended to the rest of the pyramid, in particular to our level?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 04:25:08 PM »

Anything that stops Liverpool winning the football league is ok with me to be honest. We’ll just send Brian and the lads in wearing gas masks and pith helmets and we can listen on radio robins from our cellars

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 04:31:37 PM »

Anything that stops Liverpool winning the football league is ok with me to be honest. We’ll just send Brian and the lads in wearing gas masks and pith helmets and we can listen on radio robins from our cellars

:D quality Pete, Quality  ;D

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 04:58:18 PM »

Well, the premier league are considering banning all those people over 70 years old from premiership games. Quite how they intend to police that remains to be seen! So, the question may be is a premiership fans life more important than a fan of non league?  By default that must be the case! Be interesting to see how this develops. Matches played with no fans? Cheltenham races going ahead I think. Big sporting events coming up soon e.g. London Marathon, 6 nations, Alty V Chester & Kings Lynn! Interesting to note there were no hand shakes V Spennymoor! Just nipping to Tesco express to but some Dettol spray and bog paper! SBL

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 05:09:46 PM »

We all know the handshake embargo is farcical, considering players shove, hug, pull and kick the crap out of each other during a match. Never mind how they celebrate goals.

So as you say SBL, it will be interesting to see how it develops.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 06:08:02 PM »

Can't people make their own mind up?
Full time and proud of it

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 06:49:58 PM »

Carry on as per with more diligent handwashing.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 07:01:31 PM »

I’d have thought once it moves past the ‘containment’ phase into the ‘delay’ phase in the UK (probably sometime next week I’d guess) then that’s when ‘large gatherings’ will begin to become prohibited. I’d certainly suggest that would cover the PL and all the EFL too. We are in a tricky position as I imagine the standard attendance in our league would be on the borderline of what would constitute a ‘large gathering’ and obviously there are large fluctuations from 250 at Curzon to 2000 plus at Chester and York. Put it this way, I’ve got tickets for City vs Real Madrid next Tuesday and I don’t expect I’ll see it live at the ground at the current rate.

Overall though football is a sport and this is peoples lives, if they have to pause or postpone the rest of the season then the authorities will just have to work it out. In our league the title winner and the bottom two looks pretty well set to me so let’s just work out the only other thing that matters (the play off winners) and the fairest way I can see to do that is on the basis of the winners being in alphabetical order of teams currently in the play offs.  ;D

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 07:24:17 PM »

They have mentioned postponing games where crowds of 1k plus are expected  or playing behind closed doors .Chester and Kings Lynn  games could be affected
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:27:08 PM by Timperley The Best »

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 07:59:16 PM »

They have mentioned postponing games where crowds of 1k plus are expected  or playing behind closed doors .Chester and Kings Lynn  games could be affected

Just let the first 999 in
Full time and proud of it

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 08:10:19 PM »

They have mentioned postponing games where crowds of 1k plus are expected  or playing behind closed doors .Chester and Kings Lynn  games could be affected

Why 1000? Why not 500, 721 or 358. It's just a random number as opposed to the number four which is the number of confirmed cases in Trafford as of now.

Zero is another number, that's the confirmed cases in Cheshire West and Chester.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-number-of-cases-in-england/coronavirus-covid-19-number-of-cases-in-england
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:20:39 PM by Back Roads »

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 09:25:04 PM »

Without gate receipts, a lot of clubs will have serious financial problems. Players still need to be paid, etc.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 10:56:53 PM »

Another possibility, no, probability is that a National League player in one team will test positive, as has already happened for a Scottish female rugby union player. As a young, fit athlete, he will be fine, as will most people, but he will have to self-isolate as I expect will his teammates and, quite possibly, recent opponents.

That would throw any leagues into chaos, especially as the FA have already refused league extensions at lower levels. I won't comment on rumours that that is because they have already paid for the buffet for their end of season meeting, so can't delay it.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 04:52:34 AM »

Just let the first 999 in

Best let Wayne know to start queueing now
It's all my fault.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »

I'll be surprised if we get to the end of the season without some kind of disruption. Sooner or later a player will become infected and that will have a knock on effect in terms of isolation
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Coronavirus