PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 EFL suspend all games until 4th Apr
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: EFL suspend all games until 4th Apr  (Read 9397 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: March 13, 2020, 10:46:03 AM »

Hoping the national league don’t bow to this just yet

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: EFL suspend all games until 4th Apr
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 10:47:50 AM »

'bow to this'?  It's a global pandemic and people are dying, they've kinda gotta take it a bit seriously.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 10:57:52 AM »

You’ll just have thousands of people walking around pubs and shopping centres tomorrow instead. You’d be better off outside in the fresh air. And if you are in poor health do the sensible thing to protect yourself.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »

You’ll just have thousands of people walking around pubs and shopping centres tomorrow instead. You’d be better off outside in the fresh air. And if you are in poor health do the sensible thing to protect yourself.

Agreed.

VocareAdRegnum

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 11:12:03 AM »

With the MLS, NBA, NHL and MLB all postponed, this is the most sensible decision. The Euros will be put back too but health comes before sport every time. Stay safe folks.

Fairfield Alty

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 11:41:18 AM »

According to the BBC the National League to hold a meeting in the next hour

to decide what to do, that was posted at 11:17.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 12:09:52 PM »

The club are monitoring the situation and will shortly be posting an interim statement - ahead of the National League meeting.  This replaces the statement we posted yesterday evening.

The situation is so volatile that I expect us to be posting daily updates, and perhaps several times a day in the next few days.

We will do our best to keep you all informed of the latest in this uncertain situation.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 12:18:01 PM »

Schools are not shut so i dont see how shutting down non-league games makes a difference, it feels like gesture politics.  if the science is against school closures it should also point to this being a waste of time,  I realise that this is a significant issue, but not sure the average non league crowd is much different to going to the pub on a friday night
Bernard Taylors barmy army

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 12:31:47 PM »

We are at York tomorrow. That city had the first two cases in England, two Chinese tourists, and somewhat later someone who has been to Northern Italy. No spread, no community infections, nothing. That tells me York has got this well in hand. Four cases in Trafford, again no known community spread. Play the game.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 12:33:21 PM »

Isn’t it more about the integrity of the competition, with various clubs having players, staff etc who will need to self-isolate, than about the public health risk of staging matches?

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 12:57:02 PM »

Looking at this virus I've done some figures based on worst case 80% infection scenario to a likely 25% infection based on the 2% CV death rate compared to the 1% flu death rate we are talking about an extra 150k to 480k extra people with underlying health isssues dying.

Call me callous but I reckon we have got this whole thing sort of tits up and we should be concentrating efforts and segregating the vulnerable people.

While taking a few extra precautions but not going mad buying up bog roll and pasta and bankrupting airlines we should easily keep the end figure down to the 25% infection rate which given the example just quoted from York and Trafford seems apocalyptically pessimistic.

did anyone catch that zika virus thing???

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 01:10:58 PM »

Schools are not shut so i dont see how shutting down non-league games makes a difference, it feels like gesture politics.  if the science is against school closures it should also point to this being a waste of time,  I realise that this is a significant issue, but not sure the average non league crowd is much different to going to the pub on a friday night

Quite the opposite really, the football authorities are taking action because the government has decided not to, that the economy is more important than people’s lives. All public gatherings should be stopped now

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 01:14:33 PM »

Isn’t it more about the integrity of the competition, with various clubs having players, staff etc who will need to self-isolate, than about the public health risk of staging matches?
Absolutely right. It’s about players, staff, officials and their families and friends as well. I’m afraid the season’s over, whether now or in a couple of weeks. The chance  to contain it has been missed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 01:29:18 PM by Graham Bennetts Perm »

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 01:54:10 PM »

Quite the opposite really, the football authorities are taking action because the government has decided not to, that the economy is more important than people’s lives. All public gatherings should be stopped now

But aren't the, say, 1500 people who would be attending the York v Alty game just as likely to get infected/infect others doing whatever they choose to do instead? I can see the case for suspending football based on teams being disrupted internally but I can't see any obvious public health benefit.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 01:58:26 PM »

Think Toff Apple and Leon have this spot on
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team