PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 EFL suspend all games until 4th Apr
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: EFL suspend all games until 4th Apr  (Read 9396 times)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: EFL suspend all games until 4th Apr
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 02:20:02 PM »

There's no simple solution. Everyone has the right to not turn up to watch if they think it will allow them to dodge the virus. If the game is on I will be there tomorrow but others may not want to take the risk.

As a responsible employer the club has to protect its employees by law which means as soon as someone gets the symptoms of the virus they have to be excluded. The league could limp on but for how long. If games are postponed it will bring further complications in to play. I don't know what the correct answer is but then it's not my call.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 02:27:42 PM »

Isn’t it more about the integrity of the competition, with various clubs having players, staff etc who will need to self-isolate, than about the public health risk of staging matches?
Absolutely right. It’s about players, staff, officials and their families and friends as well. I’m afraid the season’s over, whether now or in a couple of weeks. The chance  to contain it has been missed.

Agree with both of the above. Given the North & South Divs are largely p/t and contracts expire in a matter of weeks for the vast majority of players suspending the season for a week or two is a non starter. That leaves soldier on or stop. If you continue, given current official advice is to self isolate you could have half the clubs with half a squad unavailable at various times from now til the end of the season - not sustainable. Sad to say, the only option as I see it is to stop now and decide whether to re-start at a much much later date or scrub 19-20 completely.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:29:17 PM by JTH »

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 03:33:45 PM »

I am amazed that the powers that be in our league haven't followed the same line as the premier league and the EFL. FFS are a bunch of idiots running it? What is the logic behind their decision making? SBL

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 03:37:13 PM »

Here’s a plan:
-postpone all this season’s outstanding matches and hold the league table as is;
-roll over outstanding matches to next season;
-maintain leagues as they are;
-start next season a week early and extend it, using the play off period, and thereby accommodating the extra matches;
-automatic promotion only- no promotion through play offs
-league table is cumulative, effectively for two seasons.

Then wait and hope we’re through the worst by August.

finnquark1

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 05:54:59 PM »

Gloucester vs Blyth off due to the virus.

finnquark1

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 05:58:21 PM »

I do so enjoy living in the abstract permutations of a government's obsession with the power of modelling. The party of individual responsibility.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »

I work in a supermarket in  Ayrshire (4 cases) and today we had hundreds through the tills - lots of person to person interaction, handling of cards & cash and goods -and I would say the chances of catching anything in such an environment would be far greater than at a football match at our level (I admit I am no expert, but common sense suggests as such).
It's all a matter of perspective!
So where do you draw the line?
Obviously shutting shops would be silly, but people still have the choice as to where they go and what they do and, taking precautions with hand gel, wipes and the like should reduce contagion risks.

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2020, 10:19:02 PM »

The first case of Coronavirus amongst the indigenous population of North Yorkshire has been identified today.  No information about where but there’s a good reason for that. Absolutely disgraceful decision from the National League.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2020, 10:31:31 PM »

When did we become such a nation of snowflakes ? One case in North Yorkshire (population over 600,000). You've got more chance of being mowed down by an ambulance FFS.

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 10:50:23 PM »

Explain that to the people now desperately trying to contact anyone who has been in contact with the poor woman who has been identified with this virus, and the people with whom they have been in contact, and their families and friends, their neighbours, work colleagues etc etc.. The virus is out there spreading. Complacency is as well. The two are linked.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:08:14 PM by Graham Bennetts Perm »

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 10:55:44 PM »

When did we become such a nation of snowflakes ? One case in North Yorkshire (population over 600,000). You've got more chance of being mowed down by an ambulance FFS.
Oh do f**k off
When it’s you losing members of your family we will revisit this. By the way have you got enough toilet roll? Snowflake.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 11:31:40 PM »

Oh do f**k off
When it’s you losing members of your family we will revisit this. By the way have you got enough toilet roll? Snowflake.
I lost my family member in October if you care to cast your mind back. If I run out of bog roll I've got plenty of newspaper I can cut up. I assume that for the duration of this crisis you're going to lock yourself in your garden shed. After all, it's far too dangerous to go shopping, use any form of public transport, or go to a pub (God knows who had that glass before you). And don't think of going to church - pray at home, it's safer.

At 72 I am "vulnerable". I'm doing precisely nothing differently to how I ever do it. If I get sick and die, so be it. I'll take my chances.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 11:39:58 PM »

Oh do f**k off
I lost my family member in October if you care to cast your mind back. If I run out of bog roll I've got plenty of newspaper I can cut up. I assume that for the duration of this crisis you're going to lock yourself in your garden shed. After all, it's far too dangerous to go shopping, use any form of public transport, or go to a pub (God knows who had that glass before you). And don't think of going to church - pray at home, it's safer.

At 72 I am "vulnerable". I'm doing precisely nothing differently to how I ever do it. If I get sick and die, so be it. I'll take my chances.

Well said. I have elderly relatives (mid 80s) with a range of fairly typical age related conditions. They, and I, have changed our habits... we wash our hands better and more often... then just carry on.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 11:50:16 PM »

The first case of Coronavirus amongst the indigenous population of North Yorkshire has been identified today.  No information about where but there’s a good reason for that. Absolutely disgraceful decision from the National League.

North Yorkshire reports separately to York. York has had three cases, the couple of tourists in late Jan and another unrelated case of a resident coming back from northern Italy. There have been no further cases in York. The case you refer to is somewhere in North Yorks (exc. York), which covers in excess of 3000sq miles.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 11:55:38 PM »

Here’s a plan:
-postpone all this season’s outstanding matches and hold the league table as is;
-roll over outstanding matches to next season;
-maintain leagues as they are;
-start next season a week early and extend it, using the play off period, and thereby accommodating the extra matches;
-automatic promotion only- no promotion through play offs
-league table is cumulative, effectively for two seasons.

Then wait and hope we’re through the worst by August.

Or Stop league now or calculate a final table & complete the play offs in a 1 week period before the start of 20-21. Suspend County and League Cups for the season if starts later than August.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 12:00:13 AM by JTH »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 EFL suspend all games until 4th Apr