News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 NL update

Author Topic: NL update  (Read 3345 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
NL update
« on: April 09, 2020, 06:32:14 PM »

National League has advised clubs in its three divisions to vote in favour of ending the regular season without playing games that were scheduled up to 25 April.

If the vote passes, clubs will then be asked to help "determine the outcomes of the season" through further polls. Starting with North South then conference after.

A decision is expected to be made next week

Via bbc
It's all my fault.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: NL update
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 06:44:49 PM »

It’s still leaving scope for playoffs to take place.

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 09:33:59 PM »

It’s still leaving scope for playoffs to take place.

Nice idea, and this could be played a little later than usual hopefully when restrictions start to be lifted, with reduced crowds or the same crowd in a larger stadium more spread out.

However its not so straightforward. Look at the current table...who would you chose out of Gateshead, Chester or Spennymore for 6th and 7th place in the table to qualify for play-offs? Draw lots (per the old World Cup...not really fair, but there is precedent) or a pre play-off play-off? Or average points per game (but who have had the easier games so far?)

And would we expect to be given 3rd place? or would we settle with our current 5th and take our chances??

Also York vs Kings Lynn could be controversial(another pre play-off play-off?)

Loads of solutions of course, probably many more than the few I suggested above, but every solution has relative winners and losers and you can bet your life the losers (at best) complain like hell or (at worst) go legal.

At least the relegation decision looks kind straightforward :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:36:50 PM by nimeta »

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 10:59:04 PM »

If you nip over to the BPA forum most of their fans want to go down because they know they've got no budget for next season. Some of their fans are advocating volunteering to drop down so they can compete.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 09:18:22 AM »

I don't think they can volunteer to drop down as the FA have said that all leagues as steps 3 to 7 are null and void and all leagues will have the same formation for next season (quite a kick in the teeth for the players, supporters and volunteers at successful clubs).

In practice, a couple of clubs have already so there will be vacancies, but a club who decide to drop down could potentially find themselves in the West Yorkshire League so I can't see it happening.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »

Didn't one of the clubs on the wirral volunteer a couple of seasons ago?  Vauxhall Motors?

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 09:56:50 AM »

Didn't one of the clubs on the wirral volunteer a couple of seasons ago?  Vauxhall Motors?

BPA could swap with South Shields
It's all my fault.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 11:45:23 AM »

BPA could swap with South Shields
They could try, but the FA control league membership, and I am sure the likes of Truro, who I think have got the best PPG at Step 3, would object to a deal like this.

Vauxhall Motors did drop down, but they went right down to the West Cheshire League. They have been working their eay back up, and are one of the clubs worst hit by the FA's ruling as they would have been promoted.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 11:55:33 AM »

The South Shields thing is definitely troublesome - one potential option could be to create a one-off 'super playoff' system between the 'winners' of the 4 regional leagues.

If the football league does manage to conclude (with the Prem), at least that would confirm Stevenage down - and could pave the way for the NL to determine the 2 usual spots through PPG and playoffs.

As for us, the PPG would work out quite well in giving us crowd-pulling ties v Chester (H) and then York (H) in any playoff situation.

Should we end up getting promoted out of all this, my conscience would be pretty clear as we suddenly had a small glimpse of going up as potential champions anyway.

Let's see what happens.

Fairfield Alty

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 03:39:45 PM »

As a previous post has already stated, steps 3 to 7 null and void so no chance of Bradford ( Park Avenue ) and South Shields just changing places.

This would take it down the litigation road. Incidentally the best PPG at step 3 are our old friends? Tamworth currently 2nd in Southern Premier

Division Central. They average 2.166 and Truro 2.161.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 NL update