PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New Supporters association/group
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Supporters association/group  (Read 6418 times)

decman7

« on: April 25, 2020, 11:35:36 AM »

I watched Bill and Jons interview on Thursday night. It was clear to me that they want a supporters organisation of some sort.

I posted this on my twitter so apologies if you've seen this before.

Is there a true appetite for a supporters group? If there was one would anyone be interested in being involved?  If a new one was to start up it couldn't be the same format as times have moved on. It couldn't be the same old same old either. It would need fresh blood from our existing hardcore and new fans.

From the response I got on twitter it seems there is an appetite for a group but it doesn't need to be as formal.

I'm intrigued to see what members of the forum think, plus id like to know what boycotters of the club think as well.

I feel the clubs moving in the right direction and this is might be the right time to act.

My twitter handle is @thedeccavanagh if anyone interested to see what others have said.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: New Supporters association/group
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 07:09:50 PM »

In my experience, successful supporters' associations tend to originate during a time of crisis. In particular, I'm thinking of SAFE back in those dark months after the conclusion of the 1994/95 season.

Alas, the destabilisation and extermination of its eventual successor STAR in 2006 by members of the club's board of directors simply engendered disillusionment.

An evolving different ethos at the club does now suggest that they would countenance the existence of an independent supporters' group.           
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 07:58:05 PM »

Whilst I agree fear and dark days bring a band of people together, successful times (we've not had these in a while) make it cool to be involved with something. 

A fan group that can put ideas and fundraising in to practise would work.
It's all my fault.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 09:25:20 PM »

Personally, for what it’s worth, I think more of a supporters action group type thing might be easier to get off the ground initially than a full supporters association. Along the lines of the Lancs Action Group at the cricket, but not as militant.
Claiming to put forward the views of the members (ie those who choose to join) rather than trying to represent the full supporter base might be easier at this stage. And hope it leads to full association later. It would at least give a short term solution for getting supporters views heard at a time when the club would really benefit from it.

I’d also look at how meetings, certainly to start with, could happen. If we can run the country on zoom meetings, then there’s no reason it couldn’t play a part in supporter meetings. There’s always been a problem getting people back out of the house for supporter meetings. Understandable when people already spend so much time away from family, partners, work, actually watching the football. Could also bring exiles on board, who wouldn’t otherwise be able to get as involved. Not sure how easy it would work, but worth considering.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »

Agree re. zoom. Always felt that supporters groups don't have to involve physical meetings (online works well)but benefit from having meet-ups as it's beneficial for the fan culture.

Lancs Action Groups looks a good middle ground between Fan group and Fan Trust. Thanks for sharing.

It's all my fault.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 01:10:15 PM »

no need for it in my opinion
Harold

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 06:51:50 PM »

Any supporters group is only as good as the people who put the graft into running it. I do find it a bit back to front that all the noises about making it happen are coming from within the club and not so much the fanbase itself. It's normally the other way round?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good idea and I hope it can be done successfully, but I know how much hard work and commitment it takes for it to flourish. Not a project to be taken lightly, that's for sure....
Come on Alty!

decman7

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »

Whys that Harold? I think we need all kinds of opinions on this subject so would like to know why you think that.

decman7

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 09:35:18 PM »

Any supporters group is only as good as the people who put the graft into running it. I do find it a bit back to front that all the noises about making it happen are coming from within the club and not so much the fanbase itself. It's normally the other way round?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good idea and I hope it can be done successfully, but I know how much hard work and commitment it takes for it to flourish. Not a project to be taken lightly, that's for sure....

Indeed. It should have come from the fan base but I suppose a nudge in the right direction isnt the worst thing. I do think it's a good thing to have though.

Definitely not taking it lightly, that's why myself and Jack are gauging interest.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 11:50:20 AM »

Whys that Harold? I think we need all kinds of opinions on this subject so would like to know why you think that.

Especially as an exile too.
It's all my fault.

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 01:55:01 PM »

I reckon the kings of the golf rd is a cool bunch of young whipper snappers to join onto and expand things like fundraising board communication travel etc.

they've got their finger on the pulse and feeling of the moment.

And they say I'm not with it....

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 08:58:54 PM »

I reckon the kings of the golf rd is a cool bunch of young whipper snappers to join onto and expand things like fundraising board communication travel etc.

they've got their finger on the pulse and feeling of the moment.

And they say I'm not with it....

If this - as it appears on the face of it - to br genuine comment, we're currently considered expanding KGR to be a members collective.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 09:08:04 PM by HashtagAlty »
It's all my fault.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 10:51:43 PM »

Indeed. It should have come from the fan base but I suppose a nudge in the right direction isnt the worst thing. I do think it's a good thing to have though.

Definitely not taking it lightly, that's why myself and Jack are gauging interest.

Fair play to you guys for taking it on, I'm sure you will do a great job. 👍
Come on Alty!

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 11:37:25 AM »

Having had a chat over the past few weeks, speaking to others across all forms of socials media, KGR have posted the following to our social media channels as an update:

Moving Forward

Kings of the Golf Road was formed by four Altrincham fans at the beginning of the 2019/20 season.

The aim was to create simple, high-quality, limited-edition products.​

Products to be proud of.

Products that would generate a bit of money for us to reinvest into the terrace culture of the club.

We're proud to say that this has been a success, and we've been able to donate £175 to the club's COVID-19 Go Fund Me as well as organising a couple of top new flags for when the football returns.

It felt great to be able to do that. To pay your money back into our football club at a time of need.

It got us thinking about the future.

What if we could capitalise upon the momentum we've built?

Looking back over the past year - aisde from our merchandise - we've co-ordinated successful fan 'meet ups' for our three biggest games – Chorley, Blyth and Portsmouth.

Over 50 Robins under the same roof. Having a pint and enjoying themselves. Discussing the club.

​In April 2020, after some initial social media discussions, there is an appetite for a fans group at Altrincham, albeit a far cry from a trust.

To continue our work, we are actively considering how to grow Kings of The Golf Road into a club-recognised, informal fans group that all Robins who share our passion can contribute to and participate in.

Over the coming months, ahead of football returning, we’ll be reaching out to as many fellow fans as possible to discuss what this collective can, could and should do for us all.

​What parts might people be able to play?

What does the club need from us, for this Kings to be a recognised and respected independent group?

Just to clarify, Kings of the Golf Road will not be seeking a seat on the board. Nor will we be looking for a committee to sign-off on purchasing a new biro. That doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Even with these exciting thoughts, we're still committing to building on what we've always done: high quality merchandise, celebrating fan culture and most importantly, watching football.

We want to to build on what we've got here so that we can do more of it, more often and with greater impact.

Andrew Dec Jack and Joe.
It's all my fault.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 11:54:07 PM »

Having had a chat over the past few weeks, speaking to others across all forms of socials media, KGR have posted the following to our social media channels as an update:

Moving Forward

Kings of the Golf Road was formed by four Altrincham fans at the beginning of the 2019/20 season.

The aim was to create simple, high-quality, limited-edition products.​

Products to be proud of.

Products that would generate a bit of money for us to reinvest into the terrace culture of the club.

We're proud to say that this has been a success, and we've been able to donate £175 to the club's COVID-19 Go Fund Me as well as organising a couple of top new flags for when the football returns.

It felt great to be able to do that. To pay your money back into our football club at a time of need.

It got us thinking about the future.

What if we could capitalise upon the momentum we've built?

Looking back over the past year - aisde from our merchandise - we've co-ordinated successful fan 'meet ups' for our three biggest games – Chorley, Blyth and Portsmouth.

Over 50 Robins under the same roof. Having a pint and enjoying themselves. Discussing the club.

​In April 2020, after some initial social media discussions, there is an appetite for a fans group at Altrincham, albeit a far cry from a trust.

To continue our work, we are actively considering how to grow Kings of The Golf Road into a club-recognised, informal fans group that all Robins who share our passion can contribute to and participate in.

Over the coming months, ahead of football returning, we’ll be reaching out to as many fellow fans as possible to discuss what this collective can, could and should do for us all.

​What parts might people be able to play?

What does the club need from us, for this Kings to be a recognised and respected independent group?

Just to clarify, Kings of the Golf Road will not be seeking a seat on the board. Nor will we be looking for a committee to sign-off on purchasing a new biro. That doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Even with these exciting thoughts, we're still committing to building on what we've always done: high quality merchandise, celebrating fan culture and most importantly, watching football.

We want to to build on what we've got here so that we can do more of it, more often and with greater impact.

Andrew Dec Jack and Joe.

:)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team