PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Conference ask Non League clubs about playoffs
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Conference ask Non League clubs about playoffs  (Read 19186 times)

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Conference ask Non League clubs about playoffs
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2020, 09:26:59 AM »

The written press and media have enjoyed catastrophising every part of this awful situation. We’d never win the hearts and minds in a proper war with these People frightening people and filling everyone with negativity every day.

There's no doubt that the print media in all its variations have been disgraceful in their willingness to use clickbait headlines to draw attention to their own agenda, regardless of whether they are able to back it up with any proven scientific data.  However, to lesson the threat this virus poses or, indeed, the impact that it has had, and will continue to have until their is a vaccine to protect against further transmission, is foolhardy.  Social distancing measures have had a positive effect, remove them and that effect disappears too.

My brother in law is Professor of Pharmacology and Head of the Institute of Translational Medicine at one of the country's leading research universities.  He is having discussions with scientists across the world on a daily basis, all centred around trying to find a vaccine.  If you heard him talk about this virus it would leave you in no doubt whatsoever about the seriousness of what we are facing currently, and the level of caution that needs to be applied when any talk of removing social distancing is being considered.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2020, 11:21:14 AM »

500,000 people die every year in the UK. However I’m not specifically talking about the tragic death rate. It’s the general demeanour of the press. Good news doesn’t make headline good headlines. People need some hope not people continually asking the prime minister to apologise for nearly dying or saying Christmas is cancelled or there will
Be no live sport until 2021. They know f**k all like the rest of us on such matters. They just have a bigger platform to speculate on 

Every proventable death is a tragedy
It's all my fault.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2020, 11:23:01 AM »

Back to football Yeovil town have implied 5 games in 12 days is what has been proposed, although this might just be them referencing the existing structure in their statement
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 02:07:37 PM by HashtagAlty »
It's all my fault.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2020, 11:42:30 AM »

Back to football Yeovil town have implied 5 games in 12 days is what has been proposed.

Tuesday Thursday Tuesday Thursday Saturday would be the case you'd imagine

The  National League are  meeting   to make a decision this week on  the play offs, possibly today.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:35:57 PM by Timperley The Best »

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2020, 01:01:46 PM »

still do not see how it can be done,no walls unless you have 2 mtr gaps no close marking at corners, no tackling as you have to stay 2 mtrs apart,how is it going to work?
Harold

finnquark1

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2020, 01:52:42 PM »

I prefer to circumvent the nattering nabobs of negativity by listening to voices of reason on the YouTube. People like David Icke, Nigel Farage, Alex Jones and so on have been a welcoming oasis of calm rationality in this maelstrom of hysteria. Sort of inverted Lord Haw-Haw figures.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2020, 02:18:24 PM »

Personally I think while people are still dying of COVID-19 every day in significant numbers and there is still no clear way forward, be it a vaccine, a natural eradication or whatever of the virus then all sport should just be put on hold. I understand the need to plan but I don't see the point of compromises like playing behind closed doors - sport is a spectator driven pastime for pity's sake. Some people may get upset because they are losing the rewards of a good season but surely its better to have clubs still in business and supporters still around to watch them when we eventually emerge on the other side of this.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2020, 03:21:03 PM »

Personally I think while people are still dying of COVID-19 every day in significant numbers and there is still no clear way forward, be it a vaccine, a natural eradication or whatever of the virus then all sport should just be put on hold. I understand the need to plan but I don't see the point of compromises like playing behind closed doors - sport is a spectator driven pastime for pity's sake. Some people may get upset because they are losing the rewards of a good season but surely its better to have clubs still in business and supporters still around to watch them when we eventually emerge on the other side of this.

Absolutely. Just the small problem of The Premiership having spent all the TV money and not fulfilled their side of the bargain. Brian Clough always said it would end in tears. 

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2020, 04:26:58 PM »

No decision before next week, decision to be shaped by the EFL. So unsure why the member clubs have been asked their opinion

https://twitter.com/iandennisbbc/status/1257689709234569216?s=21

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2020, 04:44:44 PM »

No decision before next week, decision to be shaped by the EFL. So unsure why the member clubs have been asked their opinion

https://twitter.com/iandennisbbc/status/1257689709234569216?s=21

Can't complain if you've had your say.

I'd love to know we voted for Playoffs, but I understand there may be negative PR implications for this given the comments below.
It's all my fault.

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »

I can’t believe that some think there may be some hope of play offs to end this season, absolutely no chance! Surely safety comes first for everyone involved ...players, staff and supporters, and until a proven vaccine comes on stream then safety cannot be guaranteed.

The timescales involved negate any chance of football at our level...maybe the Prem with their bottomless pits of cash swilling about can play behind closed doors while milking in the TV money, but at our level there is no chance of that. I think we will be lucky to see any live football this side of Christmas, sounds grim but that is my realistic opinion. How many clubs at our level survive long enough to see it through until they can earn some gate money etc remains to be seen, our supports fabulous response to the fundraising initiatives will hopefully help us.

That’s how I see it, and it’s up for debate, but I do wish there was more realism in this talk about play offs.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2020, 10:07:36 PM »

500,000 people die every year in the UK. However I’m not specifically talking about the tragic death rate. It’s the general demeanour of the press. Good news doesn’t make headline good headlines. People need some hope not people continually asking the prime minister to apologise for nearly dying or saying Christmas is cancelled or there will
Be no live sport until 2021. They know f**k all like the rest of us on such matters. They just have a bigger platform to speculate on 

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

An unofficial source from the government has suggested up to 150k could die from the lock down itself - depression/suicide, unfulfilled cancer treatments/tests/results, slower response times for heart attacks/strokes etc etc (one state in America has had more deaths from suicide than Coronavirus and a cancer expert has dsaid there could be 50k extra/premature cancer deaths.

It is a fine line the government has to follow and I don't envy their task, but, as for the media, when did they last tell us how many have recovered? How many have been released from hospital having recovered? Or any other good news figures?

We need positivity and hope, not doom and gloom!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2020, 10:50:58 AM »

Ultimately people will continue to contract and die from covid 19 every day for years to come, even after if a vaccine is found.

So ultimately, if you want sport to happen, then there is going to be a point where we say x amounts of deaths are ‘acceptable’, in the same way that reopening other sectors will happen.

The Premier League has big enough stadia, facilities and resources as well as a relatively limited number of people needed to be able to try and restart in whatever guise. With the economy as it is, I think doing it for the money is a decent enough reason as well.

But for us? At this level? With part time players? No chance.

Play offs with players who have been in a working environment during the day and playing football at night can’t be safe. You could be tested negative in the morning and have it by the evening? Way to many variables

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »

Ultimately people will continue to contract and die from covid 19 every day for years to come, even after if a vaccine is found.

So ultimately, if you want sport to happen, then there is going to be a point where we say x amounts of deaths are ‘acceptable’, in the same way that reopening other sectors will happen.

The Premier League has big enough stadia, facilities and resources as well as a relatively limited number of people needed to be able to try and restart in whatever guise. With the economy as it is, I think doing it for the money is a decent enough reason as well.

Play offs with players who have been in a working environment during the day and playing football at night can’t be safe. You could be tested negative in the morning and have it by the evening? Way to many variables

The most realistic assessment I have heard for a while.
As much as I would like playoffs, I cant see them happening.
Just restart from scratch WHEN SAFE to do so,.. which might be autumn.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2020, 08:02:41 PM »

The most realistic assessment I have heard for a while.
As much as I would like playoffs, I cant see them happening.
Just restart from scratch WHEN SAFE to do so,.. which might be autumn.

Indeed, excellent post.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Conference ask Non League clubs about playoffs