PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 George Heslop
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: George Heslop  (Read 8566 times)

whiskyalty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: George Heslop
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 12:44:18 PM »

Rip George you will be missed by so many people. Loved playing for you when you started up the first supporters team then playing in the Sunday league for you even now still laugh at the time when we were playing cards on the back of the coach at barrow you were just about to fold and Andy shouted make Phil show his hand you did and I lost all my money you looked at me and said don't worry I will pay for you to get in magic again rip mate.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 03:34:05 PM »

RIP George, really sad day, George is a true Alty FC legend in every possible way.
Lovely man, lovely family, he will be very sadly missed by us all  :(

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 07:07:17 PM »

In my near 50 years of supporting Alty, the venerable Thomas George Boyd Heslop Esq. has been a constant presence.

My father knew George during their time as fellow employees at Shell Carrington and who can forget seeing the reassuring presence of George (and his legendary bobble hat) on those supporters' coach trips to countless away games during the 1970s, in particular?

He devoted an incalculable volume of hours to his beloved Altrincham FC, from his debut as a supporter circa the late 1940s/early 1950s to his work as a member of the old Supporters Association (followed by SAFE in the 1990s) and then in more recent times his respective roles as matchday secretary and manager of a successful youth team.

During his subsequent time in the accounts department at MMU, many a morning commuting into Manchester from Altrincham on the tram involved him suddenly appearing in the seat next to you (carrying that enormous black briefcase) after the Timperley stop and then taking great delight in disrupting your attempts to complete the newspaper's cryptic crossword.

I readily confess that I have teased him mercilessly over the years, whether it be in person, via this forum or even in several of the articles that I penned for the Robins Review. George loved it and he would invariably respond with a typically dry and witty riposte when you next encountered him in the old Noel White Suite or the CSH. He had marvellous anecdotes galore, too.

Let's hope that when some semblance of 'normality' returns, a memorial service can be held in his honour.

What a character. He is part of this club's DNA.

Sincere condolences to Jenny and all the other members of George's family.

Here he is with his old sparring partner John King in August 2014:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 07:14:42 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 08:11:55 PM »

Another legendary name will look down upon Altrincham FC and smile.

Condolences to all.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 08:44:36 PM »

very very sad, condolences to Jenny and family, it was people like George who made Altrincham the club it is today and, like 2 years ago with Kenny, I hope they can "do it for him" in the play offs. Like Kenny, you could fill a book with stories about him, and like Kenny, he would be worthy of his own flag.

I too remember him at the race night with his dead pan replies to people's gentle teasing, and on other occasions claiming to have a "broad Timperley accent", or walking through Navvy Road rec  with his little dog to see the excellent Packet House team of the time (unless my memory is playing tricks on me), and he and Jenny helping to pick up the pieces after Maunders left ( a time I will always remember with fondness despite the trials). rip, George

ps I remember the meeting to save the club, I don't remember anything that was said but do remember it was a big turnout and a very emotional night, for me the key moment in our history since I started watching in 1990 (Bangor City to be precise, those were the days)  after moving down from Scotland.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 09:32:45 PM by Hugh »

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 08:51:24 PM »

A few months ago i picked him up on altrincham taxi rank and took him home, what should have been a routine 5 minute journey ended up 20 minutes of impassioned talk from George about his ALTY, i was gutted that he had to leave due to looking after a family member, he will be sadly missed. On a side note i will always remember his passionate speech at the meeting to save alty in the 90's and if any of you remeber it(the broomwood i think) !!!his grandchildren will see football at moss lane. RIP
FFS

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 10:02:47 PM »

RIP to a true club stalwart and one of those people who has always been there in my time supporting our club.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 10:49:39 PM »

Very sad news, I think every Alty fan knew George, he was always there from when I started going in the early 1970s. He'll certainly be missed by a huge number of people, RIP George.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2020, 12:19:53 AM »

Ah, you know, how sad. This time comes to us all I guess but this one leaves me (us all) with a very heavy heart. I obviously have fond memories of George but I think from what Hugh and Cult have said it just shows you that whatever age you are as an Alty fan from any time in the past 60/70 years you’ll have come across George and been enriched by his presence.

I’ll remember him as a true gentleman, Alty to the core and an absolute football man in the very best sense. In my time coaching with him he was honest, decent, organised and more than that, caring. He managed a lot of lads from widely different races/classes/areas/backgrounds /circumstances - I don’t know how that comes across, I mean a spectrum I guess - and he treated them all unscrutably fairly and with understanding.

In that sense, he was always able to treat every young player on their own basis. He never, ever said that x was like y who he had managed the year before and bracketed them together if you see what I mean. I learnt a lot from that and I bet there’s hundreds of young footballers out there who would attest to that.

Moreover, the planet is less one good guy tonight and that’s sad and I wish Jenny and the rest of the Heslop family my very best of wishes and respect tonight, and what a marvellous couple they are and alway will be.

Rest easy George, we all owe you a great debt in this Alty family and it has been a pleasure x

Bonzo

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2020, 08:36:55 PM »

Very sad news. The end of an era. An absolute stalwart of the club, and a wonderful friendly character always happy to chat about football whenever our paths crossed.
Condolences to Jenny, family and friends.
RIP George 

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 08:50:11 PM »

Sad news...R I P

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 09:01:09 PM »

OMG such an amazing person. I remembering some years ago when Nantwich Town youth beat an Alty youth team 8 1 . George came over and said "well that was close" ha x I always had time for a chat with Mr GH and I know he always held Josh H my son in high regard. RIP GH. Promotion to the Conference will be for you my friend SBL xx

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2020, 01:01:08 AM »

One of those chaps for whom you can't quantify what they have done for their club; part of the club's culture and so eloquent and knowledgeable when on RR.

R.I.P George

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 04:28:52 PM »

A reminder from John Laidlar's website:

Amidst the euphoria of Altrincham's promotion, it is a sad duty to remind everyone that tomorrow (Monday) is the day of long-time club servant George Heslop’s funeral. Former Youth team manager, Match-day Secretary and occupant of a host of other job titles at Moss Lane, George has sadly missed this year's promotion finale.

Altrincham FC has announced that "The funeral will pass The J Davidson Stadium at 12.45pm on Monday 3rd August and it would be really appreciated if as many people as possible, maintaining social distancing, could be there to pay their respects.

The funeral service itself can be followed by a webcast at 1.30pm for anyone who would like to follow the service. The login order ID is 41005 and password is snmequjz".
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 George Heslop