News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Get down to the ground today at 12.45pm to say farewell to an Alty Legend

Author Topic: Get down to the ground today at 12.45pm to say farewell to an Alty Legend  (Read 3304 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I’ll be down about 12:30 Flynny.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile

Proper tribute duly paid. The word "legend" is sometimes bandied about too lightly, but it's absolutely right for George. We will not see his like again.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Tremendous turnout along Moss Lane this afternoon to honour the late, great George Heslop.

It was also splendid to see such former players in attendance as Eddie Hussin, Danny Adams, Gary Scott, Stuart Coburn and Rod Thornley.

I've just watched the live stream of the funeral service from Altrincham Crematorium and I was extremely proud to receive a mention during the eulogy which was befittingly delivered by Graham Heathcote.

It was a lovely touch to hear ELP's Fanfare For The Common Man played and I certainly didn't see Status Quo's Rockin' All Over The World coming as the closing music!

It's astonishing to reflect on the fact that George started watching Alty as a seven-year-old during the club's first post-war season in 1946/47.

A true Alty FC legend.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Thank you everyone for doing one of our true stalwarts proud today. 

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Watched the live stream as I couldn't make it across unfortunately. For me George and our club are inseparable, simple as that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:33:54 PM by JTH »

whiskyalty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile

George was more than a legend he was a great man.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

My fondest memories of George Heslop as follows. His humour when on the terraces, particularly during the 70's:-

1) We once played I think Stafford Rangers who were then sponsored by Bostick. Their keeper dropped a catch from which Ian Morris scored, and I remember hearing Georges deadpan voice; 'you could do with some of that Bostick on your hands keeper.'

2) George giving me advice on whether my kids should join Unicorn Athletic Junior Football Club. He replied, 'they play the game the way it should be played, we only have to check fitness levels in our ex Unicorn youth players, they don't need to be taught to play the game, so sign your kids up.'  Both my boys played, and I had a long stint as a team manager and club secretary from 2000-2008. Happy times!

3) Passing George, the player Wes Wilkinson on referral for his youth team. George said to me a month or two later, do you know any more like him, he has put us in the first round of the FA Youth Cup!

George was a fine fellow, I have known him as long as I have supported the club, so glad I could be there today. Shows how strong and deep the Alty family ties are.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I’m currently up in the North of Scotland.
When I returned to my holiday cottage tonight we both sat and watched the funeral of George.
I have to say I found it sad and felt for Jen and her family.

Graham gave an excellent eulogy in his usual professional manner.

Well done to all you folks who were able to get to the ground to pay your respects

George you will be greatly missed... RIP fella.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Get down to the ground today at 12.45pm to say farewell to an Alty Legend