PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Droylsden
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Droylsden  (Read 5442 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Droylsden
« on: August 06, 2020, 10:14:59 AM »

Resigned from NPL and all cups
It's all my fault.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Droylsden
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 10:17:07 AM »

Is dave pace still involved with them?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Altyrocket

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:34:48 AM »

Yes looking at the official club statement.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 10:51:06 AM »

I presume its too late to switch to north west counties league ?Bad news  probably first of many .

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 11:29:17 AM »

Mixed emotions for me, not good for any club to go this way but Pace always had it in for us, probably a housing development site.  Not nice if you've followed them for years even after the snakes and worms jibes
Bernard Taylors barmy army

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »

Butcher's Arms is one of my favourite grounds in Manchester. Hopefully things get sorted for them.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 06:01:33 PM »

The 'ploughed field' and dim floodlights of March 2002 weren't particularly enjoyable, however this day out in Tameside truly was:

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 07:09:31 PM »

Stood on the terrace to the right of the stand and gave Peter Eales, who didn't play that day, a light for his King Edward cigar. Remember Kingy leading us out and shadow boxing much to the annoyance of the home fans! 😉 😂😂
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 07:20:59 PM »

Mickey Brooke converted to a 10 due to John Rogers injury scored a rare goal.  (Also scored in that position the previous week against Netherfield).

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 08:58:13 PM »

The game Robbie Lawton scored in was fantastic day out.

Full time and proud of it

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 09:19:14 PM »

I always like going to Droylsden, and I even have a sneaking admiration for Dave Pace and his pugnacious nature against bigger clubs, although I admit that is easier when you are there as a neutral rather than watching Droylsden play against your club.

Hopefully, they can continue, whether it means sitting out a season, or competing in the Manchester League or somewhere. I fear, though, that other clubs around this level will end up following suit.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 09:35:54 PM »

Very sorry for them and their few hundred loyal fans. Dave Pace made them the best side in Tameside for a while & they’ve got an excellent ground too for that level. It’s very much MCFC country though & a working class area & your not going to get the support or locals chucking £50k into the pot in a few months like our fanbase have.

Tameside I’ve always thought has far too many NL sides as it is, maybe there might come some mergers out of the current situation. None of them regularly get above 500+ these days & they must all be chasing the same sponsors.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 09:49:29 PM »

My own idiotic behaviour once caused a very unpleasant scene with Dave Pace and his entourage in the Noel White Suite, something I very much regret in retrospect.

When you look at it in the cold light of day, he did a fantastic job there in getting them to the top level of non league football and deserves great credit for having done so. I feel very sorry for the club and its supporters that they now find themselves in this dreadful position. Hopefully they can come back in some form and keep football going in Droylsden.
Come on Alty!

altering um

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 12:31:03 AM »

re the above three posts - totally agree. Dave Pace was a  great pantomime villain. The Chesterfield saga was brilliant. Fair play/ hats off to the man.
  I'd be interested to hear more about the 'incident'...

They won the Manchester Cup...

"The Butcher's Arms will be aptly named".

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 01:51:00 AM »

The incident? So far as I understand it (and I was there) - after a home win for Alty, a supporter (who will remain nameless but he knows who he is  :) ) said " thank goodness we beat those (redacted)". Apparently one of Pacey's stooges overheard and told him. He thereupon stormed into the middle of the NWS and shouted "who's a (redacted), who's a (redacted)..  Someone in the circle that had gathered around him replied "you are", which was perhaps unsurprising in the circumstances. Then that lad whose name I always forget (but I seem to remember pushed me in a trolley at Chorley - but that's another story) picked up a bar stool, as I remember, which was apparently the excuse for the mayhem that followed with, as I suspect, some of the thuggish players playing for Droylsden at the time (remember Marcus Hallows against another Tameside team?). I'm sure there's details I've forgotten, and I may have been a bit unfair to some people etc. But thatt was the jist of it.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Droylsden