Shocked another loyal fan gone.
Very sad news indeed,Condolences to Marks family
Harold

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Ecky
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 01:09:15 PM »

A lovely lovely man.  His deep and abounding love for this football club was obvious for everyone to see.

Taken from us way too soon, and there's another space on the terraces and on the coach that cannot be filled.

Rest In Peace Mark - and thank you for everything you have done for this club we all love

Jezza

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 01:11:26 PM »

went and found Ecky's Gateshead car story and hope it's appropriate to paste it in tribute below..says so much about him...

Story comes about due to my hopeless addiction for watching Alty and a bit of a tight boss.

Its the Bob Lord trophy circa 93-94(?), Gateshead v Alty. Always the worst cup in the days before we knew the presidents cup etc. We are 3-1 down from the first leg and always get beat at Gateshead, basically if I had a house I would have put it on us losing again.

My boss won't let me leave until 5 o'clock, but undeterred I jump in the Maestro (B124 UNE)on me own and head off as fast as I can. Absolutely flying towards the A1, weaving like the red arrows and when on it I just put my foot to the floor. The car would do 94 if you put both feet on the accelerator although the shake from the steering wheel make your teeth knock together and you knuckkes went white due to gripping the steering wheel so hard but on I went.

Didnt have a clue where i was going but headed for Gateshead and had an atlas and some programme directions. As I approached the town (still doing 94) I was map reading with it on my knee whilst driving (it may have been me who invented Police, camera, action and the quote of "look at this idiot map reading at 90 in a built up area"). Only slowing for speed cameras I headed for the international stadium.

I arived to find the car park full due to a big event at the sports centre bit of the ground, so dumped the car in the middle of the car park and ran in. Still in messy painted up work gear I ran to the top of the steps and, as if he had been waiting for me, the ref blew the whistle and the game started. It was as bad as expected and we lost 3-1 (agg 6-2). The game seemed to last ten minutes and before I knew it I was back in the car and ready to go home again. I remember standing with Andy A both in our own cars on our own laughing at how much petrol we had used and how it might be an idea to communcate next time.

Setting off back and coming down the M62 (I think) fog started to roll in off the fields next to the motorway and I could not see a thing. I remember thinking that this is what suicidal people must feel like.

As I attempted to drive the radio was getting quieter (no FM on it, just MW/LW with big preset button on the front and only fast forward on the tape) so I kept turning it up and I was getting more and more tired. Then the lights started to dim on the dashboard and the radio went off. Now I know nothing about cars at all you see. So I carried on and really just wanted to get home and never wake up again.

Made it to Washway Road and by now everything has gone off, no dashboard lights, heater, radio nothing. I only realise by the fact that everyone is flashing me that I have done the last 60 miles without lights. So as 50 people tell me to put my lights on and I try and tell them they don't work but i'm not arsed (whats the hand signal for that?) , I plod on down Washway Road.

There is a terrible knocking sound from the engine as well that i had been masking by having Atlantic 252 on very loud.

I have had to slow down so its about 1 o'clock now and I'm just trying to make it home without passing any old bill and I get as far as Barrington Road lights and just pray that there are not any coppers in sight. As I fly through the lights the first car is obviously the police. I try and belt it round the corner past the George and Dragon but before long the blue lights are flashing and he pulls me over into that little road next to the Cresta.

Trying to act surprised when he said I had no lights on, I went the front of the car and scratched my head. When I opened the bonnet I realised that the fan belt had melted.

As the copper and his mate had a good laugh at the Maestro, and refused to believe it was MOT'd, I just sat there wondering whether I was officially mad. After issuing my producer, they left. I thought sod it, I'm still driving home not realising that when I turned the key there was no ignition and I was stranded.

Five minutes later they came back and said I couldnt leave the car there as it was on double yellow lines!! As I lost it and said I wouldnt have been there if they hadn't stopped me they went off laughing. I kicked the car and called me Dad who reminded me I was in the RAC and asked why i had woke him up at half two when they worked 24 hours a day.

RAC took an hour, home at 4, up at seven and its one of the few times I have thought that watching City/United must be easier than this.

RIP mate

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »

Terrible news. Mark really helped me get into watching Alty. I remember him driving me and Jack Jolly to midweek games at Runcorn and Curzon Ashton in about 2010. A really warm and funny guy who was also in charge of me at one point when I worked at Cotton Traders.

Glad he got to see us promoted.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 01:29:07 PM by RageAgainstTheFirstTeam »
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 01:40:20 PM »

So unbelievably sad.

I was lucky enough to spend a couple of hours in his company about a month ago and, as ever, I was humbled by his courage and wonderful humour in the face of the most adverse situation one can possibly imagine.

One of the funniest, bravest and all round nicest people you could possibly wish to meet. It's been a privilege to call this man my friend and I am grateful for all the happy memories over so many years.

RIP Ecky x
Come on Alty!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »

Such terrible and tragic news at a time of such positivity for the club.

As much as I'm gutted for him that he didn't get to see us give the Conference another shot, I'm glad he went out whilst we were on a high.

R.I.P Ecky.

arnald

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 02:05:48 PM »

Such sad news so gutted he is a legend of a supporter and did so much for the club

Really decent lad with a heart of gold

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 02:25:07 PM »

What a warm friendly bloke, I chatted to him once queing for a burger at Kiddy in the 90's. From then on he always shouted over as I walked across the Golf Road Terrace to the Pop side.

R.I.P mate, I never really knew you but I'll miss the wave and shout.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 02:37:10 PM »

I came to know mark through Alty and Stamford park . I must have been about 14 maybe and him 12 ? Another giant is lost to us. He fought so hard . So brave . RIP mate . It's hard looking at old photos as you get older and seeing those you grew up with watching Alty leaving you
ParkINson's red and white army

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 02:38:34 PM »

Just really sad. Too many good one's are being taken before their time. Absolutely loved this club and just a true gent. My thoughts are with his family. Alty lose another huge fan. Gutted.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 03:03:12 PM »

went and found Ecky's Gateshead car story and hope it's appropriate to paste it in tribute below..says so much about him...

Story comes about due to my hopeless addiction for watching Alty and a bit of a tight boss.

Its the Bob Lord trophy circa 93-94(?), Gateshead v Alty. Always the worst cup in the days before we knew the presidents cup etc. We are 3-1 down from the first leg and always get beat at Gateshead, basically if I had a house I would have put it on us losing again.

My boss won't let me leave until 5 o'clock, but undeterred I jump in the Maestro (B124 UNE)on me own and head off as fast as I can. Absolutely flying towards the A1, weaving like the red arrows and when on it I just put my foot to the floor. The car would do 94 if you put both feet on the accelerator although the shake from the steering wheel make your teeth knock together and you knuckkes went white due to gripping the steering wheel so hard but on I went.

Didnt have a clue where i was going but headed for Gateshead and had an atlas and some programme directions. As I approached the town (still doing 94) I was map reading with it on my knee whilst driving (it may have been me who invented Police, camera, action and the quote of "look at this idiot map reading at 90 in a built up area"). Only slowing for speed cameras I headed for the international stadium.

I arived to find the car park full due to a big event at the sports centre bit of the ground, so dumped the car in the middle of the car park and ran in. Still in messy painted up work gear I ran to the top of the steps and, as if he had been waiting for me, the ref blew the whistle and the game started. It was as bad as expected and we lost 3-1 (agg 6-2). The game seemed to last ten minutes and before I knew it I was back in the car and ready to go home again. I remember standing with Andy A both in our own cars on our own laughing at how much petrol we had used and how it might be an idea to communcate next time.

Setting off back and coming down the M62 (I think) fog started to roll in off the fields next to the motorway and I could not see a thing. I remember thinking that this is what suicidal people must feel like.

As I attempted to drive the radio was getting quieter (no FM on it, just MW/LW with big preset button on the front and only fast forward on the tape) so I kept turning it up and I was getting more and more tired. Then the lights started to dim on the dashboard and the radio went off. Now I know nothing about cars at all you see. So I carried on and really just wanted to get home and never wake up again.

Made it to Washway Road and by now everything has gone off, no dashboard lights, heater, radio nothing. I only realise by the fact that everyone is flashing me that I have done the last 60 miles without lights. So as 50 people tell me to put my lights on and I try and tell them they don't work but i'm not arsed (whats the hand signal for that?) , I plod on down Washway Road.

There is a terrible knocking sound from the engine as well that i had been masking by having Atlantic 252 on very loud.

I have had to slow down so its about 1 o'clock now and I'm just trying to make it home without passing any old bill and I get as far as Barrington Road lights and just pray that there are not any coppers in sight. As I fly through the lights the first car is obviously the police. I try and belt it round the corner past the George and Dragon but before long the blue lights are flashing and he pulls me over into that little road next to the Cresta.

Trying to act surprised when he said I had no lights on, I went the front of the car and scratched my head. When I opened the bonnet I realised that the fan belt had melted.

As the copper and his mate had a good laugh at the Maestro, and refused to believe it was MOT'd, I just sat there wondering whether I was officially mad. After issuing my producer, they left. I thought sod it, I'm still driving home not realising that when I turned the key there was no ignition and I was stranded.

Five minutes later they came back and said I couldnt leave the car there as it was on double yellow lines!! As I lost it and said I wouldnt have been there if they hadn't stopped me they went off laughing. I kicked the car and called me Dad who reminded me I was in the RAC and asked why i had woke him up at half two when they worked 24 hours a day.

RAC took an hour, home at 4, up at seven and its one of the few times I have thought that watching City/United must be easier than this.

RIP mate

He did like a mechanics bill!

Mark was the big guy I could spot to check if I was heading to the right end.

We certainly are on a bad run on the terraces.

He will be sorely missed by all.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2020, 03:09:32 PM »

Terrible terrible news. I know that Mark and I were about the same age. I remember seeing him about the terraces when we were just kids. I didn't speak often enough really with Mark but he always came across as a thoroughly lovely guy. Gone much much too soon. Another one I will be looking over my shoulder to find at future matches.

Rest in peace Mark.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 03:11:45 PM by Alty Bri »

YorkyAlty

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2020, 03:23:07 PM »

RIP sending thoughts to all family and friends

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2020, 03:47:42 PM »

Awful news, always such a lovely and devoted fan and tremendous supporter of the club. I know he has been fighting hard for sometime but this terrible news is still hard to take in.
RIP Ecky we will all miss you greatly.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2020, 03:47:48 PM »

So sad to hear this news, Mark was a lovely popular fellow with all Alty Fans. I enjoyed his postings on this website, always the voice of common sense and reason.

A very sad loss to the club as we have all lost a dear friend. Though I am much older than Mark and were part of different supporters groups, we always chatted whenever we met up at the ground, or for away games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ecky