Ecky
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ecky  (Read 13576 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Ecky
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2020, 04:04:00 PM »

Sad news indeed big man big heart, I got to know Ecky more when i took over as Chief steward and i used to ask him for his advice
on big games or even the smaller games if there was problems he was the one to approach me to sort things out.
his courage via his funny tweets about his treatment made us all laugh.
RIP Mate condolences to Jayne and your family.
@AltyDaz

Shiny Happy

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2020, 05:44:49 PM »

Condolences to Mark’s family.

I didn’t know him personally but I’d like to express my appreciation not just for his role in organising the away coach but also his annual effort in helping to cobble together the supporters team for that most important season finale that was the staff vs the supporters game. RIP

cheeky trucker

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2020, 05:47:25 PM »

Sorry to read this news. A great club man and a memorable and entertaining forum poster, who was never short of something to say (this coming as a non-Alty fan). My sincere condolences to both his family and his fellow Robins. The guy will be missed.

Leeds Leeds Alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »

Such devastating news and such a fantastic lad.  He didn't need any reason to be friendly to you other than that you were a fellow Alty fan, and his devotion to the club was incredible.

To me Mark was as much a leader as Kingy, Carmody or Parkinson. If it wasn't for Mark and one or two others the club would have died in the 90s and several times since, but it was his passion and his determination to represent the club home and away on the terraces, behind the scenes and to the board that helped to keep the fires burning through some very dark days.

This is the saddest news I have heard in a long time - I will miss him as will everyone - and my heart and condolences go out to all of his family.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2020, 06:56:24 PM »

Every now and again you hear some news where you just exclaim without thinking, "God, no!"

A real and true pillar of the club who will be deeply missed by us all. He is the 2nd great character and figurehead I have known who has lost his life within the week; truly heartbreaking.

I know he had so many close friends at the club (and beyond) and I offer those and his family my deepest condolences.

R.I.P. an Alty legend

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2020, 07:18:31 PM »

My sincere condolences to his family and friends (and, in particular relation to the latter category, those contemporaries of his who have over three decades of memories of standing alongside Ecky on numerous terraces around the country).

Most of us simply blend into the Altrincham FC fanbase. Ecky transcended it.

From his countless efforts in the cause of SAFE in the 1990s to organising more coaches than Geoff Goodwin, via a spell as the supporters' representative on the board and the club's commercial manager during those testing times in the Unibond League when HMRC hovered over the club like a famished vulture, he certainly witnessed a range of highs and lows. Consequently, I was so pleased to hear that he was able to enjoy the Robins' recent triumph at Boston United.

His insightful and entertaining posts on the Alty forum were always worth reading and his trenchant wit managed to raise many a laugh and lift spirits during some dark times. If anyone could cheer you up in the Noel White Suite after a home defeat against Bamber Bridge on a Tuesday night, it was Ecky.

As a habitual main stand dweller, it was when he became the match announcer from the confines of the press box that I got to know him much better. His informed viewpoint on the latest developments at the club was always worth eliciting.

In more recent times, I can only express my admiration for the manner in which he conducted himself during the various torturous treatments for cancer that he endured. His text messages and tweets repeatedly exhibited his resilience, courage, dignity and that indefatigable sense of humour.

In fact, the only time that I ever saw Ecky raise the white flag was when he was confronted by the largest portion of fish and chips that I have ever seen in my life at Eric's chippy in Shildon in September 2012.

Even though logic told you that this day was sadly inevitable, you still harboured the hope that some new medical procedure would be unearthed and his sheer fortitude would prevail to defy the odds yet again.  

A great Alty FC character and, above all else, a thoroughly decent, intelligent and funny man whom it was a privilege to have known.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:20:30 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2020, 07:31:51 PM »

This is the news I was dreading to read on the forum..

Mark (Ecky) Eckersall.. a true stalwart of Alty FC. Probably the most popular lad on the terraces. The guy was red and white through and through. A most articulate lad when commentating or summarising on Radio Robins be it a top of the table clash a reserve game or a Cheshire senior cup match.

As an exile now living in Shropshire I would make a bee line to Mark be it a home or away game just to have a chat with him.

His passion for Alty is unequalled and he will be greatly missed by so many.

I remember him putting an arm round me when I lost my Wife back in Mar 2017.

Sleep easy big man. You have been taken from us far far too early fella.

Condolences to his Wife, family and friends

Ray & Jan

Beez

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2020, 07:54:04 PM »

Some lovely tributes here, what more can be said?

Such a sad day for anybody connected with Alty. A genuine, kind hearted man and one of the funniest people I've ever met. Was an absolute honour to call Ecky a friend over the last 25 years.

To me, he simply was Mr Alty and had red and white striped blood running through his veins. Every high, every low, Ecky was there, a constant, calming figure, often amongst chaos

So many wonderful stories to be shared another day.

I'm just so pleased that Ecky was able to watch Alty get promoted last week, i know how much it meant to him to see us back where we belong. As we all were, he was over the moon.

Rest easy my mate. Wherever you are, I hope you and Martin are having a right laugh. I'll be raising a glass tonight.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2020, 08:17:52 PM »

I feel so sad right now, I find it hard to believe (although we knew it was coming). Ecky is a great friend, all the times we’ve had (Alty and non Alty) seep into one big collective memory of enjoying being in his company. I don’t know what to say. Luckily there are literally hundreds of people here who can do so.

Life will move on eventually I suppose, although by God 2020 is testing my patience on that score, but this, yeh this right now makes it difficult for me to imagine an Alty without Ecky being present. Maybe that’s because I haven’t known it any other way for the 30 odd years I’ve known him. I’m generally loathe to say these things but I don’t think it’ll ever quite be the same again.

I’ll treasure an evening myself, Ecky, Hughesy and a couple of others spent at the ground in the 90s after we’d heard news that winding up was on its way. I don’t think it was 95, it may have been a slightly later one. We climbed in and just spent ages sat and stood in the corner of the pop side looking out at the ground talking about all the things we’d seen and done at our home. I’d trade so many things to have those chats again.

God speed mate. We love you. X

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2020, 08:54:55 PM »

A pleasure and a privilege to call him a friend. Not much more I can add to what has been said about him. Some great memories include

Sitting in the dugout when we got back from Stoke, looking around the ground and chatting about away end being full of Oxford, Exeter etc

His stag do at Doncaster races and Brickhouse

Numerous coach journies to random places, including him driving a minibus (or in his car as it was for Grantham)

The pre-season game at Whitchurch when I left my car at his, and I had a few too many and couldnt drive.

But one memory that stays with me was when he told me he couldn't attend my wedding as he'd recently found out about the cancer. I was gutted he couldn't come, but my heart sank when he told me that.

I know we've lost some big characters in recent years, but there will never be another Ecky
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2020, 09:50:00 PM »

Very sad news.  R.I.P

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2020, 10:03:05 PM »

So upset to hear this, it really never will be the same again watching Alty, but I know he'll have been happy what the club has become now. Some of the best memories of Mark are when things were not going well and his generosity and fortitude shone through. I was going to recount the Gateshead story so I'm glad Jezza did as I'd forgotten half the details.

Instead I'll recount a couple of incidents that give a measure of the sort of man he was. The Gateshead story reminded me of when the same thing happened to me driving to St. Albans with my brother and the engine started knocking and I turned the tape up. Eventually the engine disintegrated near Crewe, and, like an idiot, I decided to plough on and get a taxi the rest of the way as I'd promised to take Paul there. I arrived late, and was allowed onto the supporters coach on the way back. I was going to pay Ecky but he refused, saying "you've spent enough today".

Some years later, after I'd stayed away from games for a couple of years and frankly behaved quite badly, he made a point of welcoming me back to Moss Lane when he saw me.

The time I sat next to him on the way back from Irthlingborough in '97, he had a bottle of vodka (the last match before drinks were banned on the coach!) and he said "everyone on here are heroes", and insisted it wasn't just the vodka, that he meant every word - and he's been as good as his word to Alty supporters over the years, where his passion for his club and his fellow supporters has always been obvious.

He was a hero himself for this club, a terrace leader always trying to get a chant going and keeping the passion alive through some very dark days. He was the sort of supporter, and man, that we could all aspire to be.

RIP Ecky
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:05:43 PM by Hugh »

NauticaPete

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2020, 10:32:29 PM »

Gutted. I remember going on many random away days mainly in the 90s, Alfreton, Gresley, Colwyn bay, Morecambe ( I think we lost 7-0 once) and Ecky was omnipresent, always positive and friendly. Although we didn’t know each other that well, he always recognised me and we knew we were part of the Alty family. Top bloke. Rip Ecky

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2020, 08:44:51 AM »

RIP  Mark (Ecky) always had time for fans and guided a lot of younger generations though the ranks, a really top man and will be missed greatly.  Always remember his enthusiasm on the supporters coaches through the unibond years.

To many legends have been lost the last few years,  maybe a legends stand should be named with their names permanently at moss lane.

Jenga

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2020, 12:40:37 PM »

Such sad news. His voice and presence will be missed greatly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ecky