Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What about the "Mark Eckersall fan zone" in tribute?

Author Topic: What about the "Mark Eckersall fan zone" in tribute?  (Read 3715 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 11, 2020, 08:21:57 PM »

I don't know whether it's too early to discuss this or what other people think, but I strongly feel there should be some sort of permanent tribute to Ecky at Moss Lane. He did so much for the club during the darkest times, and he really was the heart and soul of the Golf Road End for many years.

As I understand a new fans area is being created between his beloved Golf Road End and the popular side, I would like to suggest naming this in his honour. After all, he is everything you would want a fan to be and more - just look at the way he inspired the team this season. I suspect, knowing him, he wouldn't want the Golf Road End named after him, and I dare say to some people it will always be the Golf Road End. But this new feature will create its own history and I feel it would be the perfect tribute to him. I don't know yet what the area will consist of exactly, but tributes etc. might be included to other supporters who have left us in recent times. We will sorely miss his presence, and it would be nice to feel that he is still part of the place in some way.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: What about the "Mark Eckersall fan zone" in tribute?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 08:24:49 PM »

Either there or rename the Golf Road end to The Mark Eckersall stand, subject to family approval.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 10:47:27 PM »

I think naming the new fan zone in his honour is a very good idea & something that should definitely be closely considered.

However, naming stands or ends of the ground after supporters is not something I think we should do, there would be plenty of legendary players and managers in line for that kind of accolade first. I also agree with Hugh that it’s something Ecky himself would have thought a bit  OTT.

I know though it’s on the Boards mind though to properly & permanently reflect the huge contribution that Ecky (and George H of course) made to the club & they will want to speak to their families too but yes it’s good for people to discuss & kick ideas round on here.

scousr alty

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 01:07:20 AM »

What a great idea Hugh.
Not just for Mark but there can be other permanent reminders of other fans from the Altrincham family.
👏

andrewflynn

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 10:05:59 AM »

They're heart warming and admirable ideas with the absolute best of intentions but ultimately, and it's just my opinion, I can't help but think that he'd have hated anything like that - particularly naming the Golf Road End after him. It was never about him, just the club. The majority of the work he did for the club, such as the away travel coordination, was incredibly understated. Also, he'd probably be the first to question why him over the likes of Noel White who's legacy is sorely under represented at the ground since the Noel White Suite was culled.

For me it's more a case of deeds not words. His legacy should live through us all turning up to every game and singing our hearts out, and getting involved with voluntary initiatives that you think you can impact. If we all do 10% more for the club in his memory then we'll be flying... and I think he'd have loved that far more than his name in lights.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 10:35:51 AM »

It would be a great honour to have a stand named after you, but there are a lot of other people who have sadly passed away that this could be applicable to. Without wanting to cause any upset or controversy, in recent times there is Kenny Palin, Jacqui Forster, Keith Davey, George Heslop, Pete Warburton etc.

I am sure there are many more to choose from. All people like Mark who were great friends of the club. I do like the idea of the singing area being named in Mark's honour
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 10:39:00 AM »

Im inclined to agree with Andrew here (a rarity) on the grandeur of the suggestions but do think there should be something in his memory.

It doesn't need to be decided this week, either.
It's all my fault.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 01:13:54 PM »

Some sort of blue plaque scheme (obviously need to change the colour!) would enable us to honour the many deserving friends we have lost and will continue to loose. There are only so many parts of the ground you can name. Giving Mark a permanent presence on the Golf Road, Kenny behind the dugouts to remind managers to get their subs on etc would be fitting

Jezza

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 01:15:13 PM »

I think a flag funded by the fans is appropriate.

Do we not have a wall of rememberance?..i thought we did but if not maybe something to think about for future reference.

Mark Ecky will be forever remembered...there will be chants of one Mark Ecky....Ecky would have been humbled and slightly embarassed by the amazing tributes he has received from players the club the fans.
If he could reply to this he'd probably say "nah.. name it after kenny...or jacqui..or george...."....and he'd become exasperated if a committee had a lengthy debate on the subject....

Id leave it to the club with regards anything additional to a flag which I saw was being considered by kings of the golf rd?

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 02:43:09 PM »

I think a flag funded by the fans is appropriate.

Do we not have a wall of rememberance?..i thought we did but if not maybe something to think about for future reference.

Mark Ecky will be forever remembered...there will be chants of one Mark Ecky....Ecky would have been humbled and slightly embarassed by the amazing tributes he has received from players the club the fans.
If he could reply to this he'd probably say "nah.. name it after kenny...or jacqui..or george...."....and he'd become exasperated if a committee had a lengthy debate on the subject....

Id leave it to the club with regards anything additional to a flag which I saw was being considered by kings of the golf rd?

Yes we do, there's a commemorative wall and a flowerbox as you come through the main stand turnstiles

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 04:53:46 PM »

Maybe our friends at Libero could do an "Ecky Ale"?
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

arnald

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 09:19:01 PM »

Ecky didn't want anything special ,an alty flag in biro pen
At Northwich was a good thing  for my mate .a true legend  , with confette we made flying through the air . Back in the 80s xxx

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 11:28:44 PM »

Andrew, the idea of a fan zone named after him is to remind us to try and live up to what he would have wanted.  As Mark said on the Rushden and Diamonds coach (1997), "everyone on this coach is heroes!". Hence the idea of having others who have been a part of the club he loved recognised in the same area. He is simply a figurehead for us all, and those who have sadly left us. Anyway, see what his family and those closest to him say. Whatever they feel, I am more than happy to go along wtth. I know he had no sort of an ego and, as I say would want the Golf Road End to remain just that (unless it was for the benefit of the club...).
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team