PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 20/21 SQUAD THREAD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 20/21 SQUAD THREAD  (Read 10391 times)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: 20/21 SQUAD THREAD
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2020, 03:48:34 PM »

We go with the best eleven in the opinion of Parky & Sorvs.

If us lot were any good at picking teams we wouldn’t be posting on here

It’s that simple.

Just hope we hit the ground running and accumulate some points early doors, consolidation is the name of the game for us

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2020, 05:02:54 PM »

We go with the best eleven in the opinion of Parky & Sorvs.

If us lot were any good at picking teams we wouldn’t be posting on here

It’s that simple.

Just hope we hit the ground running and accumulate some points early doors, consolidation is the name of the game for us

Posting on a football fans' forum that the opinions of football fans are worthless is an interesting move...

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2020, 05:24:37 PM »

Not worthless, just not as relevant as those who actually pick the team!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

AltyFan101

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2020, 05:56:37 PM »

If we still had the budget to make a couple more signings, I'd be considering a Right Back and a Central Midfielder.

I'd then line up with a back five of:

Tony (to start with at least), New RB (if not, Densmore), Sutton, Mullarkey, Hampson

I'd then keep Moult as the pivot midfielder and bring in a box-to-box midfielder alongside him (e.g. Lundstram) - if not, Sean Williams and Simon Richman are both viable options

Finally, in terms of attack, this is where the biggest headache is because one can only presume Clayton has been promised football because otherwise what's the point in coming here but then again both Hulme and Hancock seem undroppable.  So I'd use Clayton in both the striker and CAM role during pre-season and if he looks a very big improvement on Jord or Hanks he comes in.  Then, the same for the wingers.  Mooney nailed on for RW for me - he was impressive during the play-offs and then it's between Ceesay and Kosylo for the other flank - Kosylo is almost a copy of Mooney but right-footed whereas Ceesay has the pace but less of a goal-scoring presence.  Ceesay was excellent when he had a very fast JJ on the other side so I wonder if Parky would like to have two very similar wingers to start with and then use Ceesay's pace in any of the front three positions off the bench.  Definitely very excited to see what pre-season brings though - could we even see Parky experimenting with new systems such as a 3 back (as long as he doesn't do it in a Champions League Quarter-Final like Pep did!)

Anyway, obviously all this is speculation and there is one man's opinion that matters more than everyone else and in Parky, I will always trust!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2020, 06:00:48 PM »

No heard much from the club re Shaun Williams, or discussions with the fans on this site. Wonder what is happening with Shaun. Good player who could also make a fair contribution next season, any other comments re Shaun most welcome.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2020, 06:40:46 PM »

I thought Williams performed well for us at National League level previously, so hopefully he'll do well again.
Come on Alty!

Jenga

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2020, 07:00:04 PM »

I would buy Football Manager 2020 and then manage Macc (sell all the players as i couldnt afford their wages ) and then see which players the computer chooses as first team for Alty and go with that.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2020, 10:17:33 PM »

Having a different back four for home compared to away games is just about the most bonkers thing I've heard on here for a while.

For what it's worth, I think the back four will start as Hampson, Hannigan, Sutton and Densmore unless the PSFs tell us anything otherwise.

Yes. Would always start with Dens

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2020, 11:30:36 PM »

If we still had the budget to make a couple more signings, I'd be considering a Right Back and a Central Midfielder.

Tony (to start with at least), New RB (if not, Densmore), Sutton, Mullarkey, Hampson

I'd then keep Moult as the pivot midfielder and bring in a box-to-box midfielder alongside him (e.g. Lundstram) - if not, Sean Williams and Simon Richman are both viable options

Finally, in terms of attack, this is where the biggest headache is because one can only presume Clayton has been promised football because otherwise what's the point in coming here but then again both Hulme and Hancock seem undroppable.  So I'd use Clayton in both the striker and CAM role during pre-season and if he looks a very big improvement on Jord or Hanks he comes in.  Then, the same for the wingers.  Mooney nailed on for RW for me - he was impressive during the play-offs and then it's between Ceesay and Kosylo for the other flank - Kosylo is almost a copy of Mooney but right-footed whereas Ceesay has the pace but less of a goal-scoring presence.  Ceesay was excellent when he had a very fast JJ on the other side so I wonder if Parky would like to have two very similar wingers to start with and then use Ceesay's pace in any of the front three positions off the bench.  Definitely very excited to see what pre-season brings though - could we even see Parky experimenting with new systems such as a 3 back (as long as he doesn't do it in a Champions League Quarter-Final like Pep did!)

Anyway, obviously all this is speculation and there is one man's opinion that matters more than everyone else and in Parky, I will always trust!

You seem to be playing 12.  In a 5 -2 -3-1 formation!

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2020, 12:15:04 AM »

Four - four - f&$@!$# - two!

(Forthose who remember Mike Bassett and Shoot magazine!

AltyFan101

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2020, 03:06:32 AM »

Although 12 players would help ease the selection headache I am quite sure it is 11!  (when I said back five I was including the goalkeeper and four defenders)

1. Thompson/Gould
2. Densmore/Mullarkey/New RB
3. Hampson
4. Mullarkey/Hannigan
5. Sutton
6. Moult
7. Mooney
8. Williams/Richman/New CM
9. Hulme
10. Hancock/Clayton
11. Kosylo/Ceesay

FORMATION: 4-2-3-1

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »

Close, though you've omitted White.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »

Yes sorry.  Didn’t spot 5 at the back meant a back four.  We have 3 good cb and fb who are good enough going forward to do it but I wouldn’t change the system either.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2020, 03:26:50 PM »

Finally, in terms of attack, this is where the biggest headache is because one can only presume Clayton has been promised football because otherwise what's the point in coming here but then again both Hulme and Hancock seem undroppable.  So I'd use Clayton in both the striker and CAM role during pre-season and if he looks a very big improvement on Jord or Hanks he comes in.  Then, the same for the wingers.  Mooney nailed on for RW for me - he was impressive during the play-offs and then it's between Ceesay and Kosylo for the other flank - Kosylo is almost a copy of Mooney but right-footed whereas Ceesay has the pace but less of a goal-scoring presence.  Ceesay was excellent when he had a very fast JJ on the other side so I wonder if Parky would like to have two very similar wingers to start with and then use Ceesay's pace in any of the front three positions off the bench.  Definitely very excited to see what pre-season brings though - could we even see Parky experimenting with new systems such as a 3 back (as long as he doesn't do it in a Champions League Quarter-Final like Pep did!)

Why change the way we play? Done that before at this level and we encouraged better teams to attack us.

There is no reason to change and our attacking players will cause most teams a lot of trouble.

Let's stick to the game plan that has been so successful and get at teams. Much rather give it a go than sit back and wait for us to get picked off.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 03:28:42 PM by oneedham »

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2020, 03:39:24 PM »

To start with, but I feel Gould and Sutton will come into the team. This team selection is on merit of last season / playoffs.

GK Thompson

RB Dens
LB Hampson
CB Mularkey
CB Hannigan

DM Moult
CM Richman ( for his legs) / ideally Lundstram.

WL Ceesay ( if fit I would always start him, his pace is needed)
WR Mooney or Kosylo

No.10 Hancock
CF Hulme
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 20/21 SQUAD THREAD