PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Squad line-up
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Squad line-up  (Read 7684 times)

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Squad line-up
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 10:42:07 PM »

I think the 2 year deals are done on trust between the players and the management/board.

I am working on the assumption Parkie and the board know the players they have given these deals to are 100% Alty, and for the same reason know these players will accept if they need to be let go.

I agree. I think that's what I was meaning

;)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 11:37:20 PM »

If a player, who is under contract, is let go,  they can expect some payment by mutual agreement, although I am sure any of our players who know the club wouldn't take the mick.

Without wishing to cast any aspersions, you can't be so sure of new players, though. By the way,  I saw Congleton Town win 4-0 at Abbey Hulton today, and Anthony Griffith was playing.  Just saying...

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 12:10:47 AM »

I think from memory of when we were last in the National League, most of our players were on 2 year contracts. That is the norm with most teams in the National League.

Games are televised and both players and clubs give more commitment to their squads at this level. It gives the players more security at a higher level, and the club more commitment. Parky and Neil have acted quickly to tie our players to two year deals. I personally think it is the right thing to do. The fact that all our best players have re-signed from last season is because they want to continue playing for us. If we can get Lundstram to sign on loan from Crewe we are good to go. If not, Parky and Neil will have irons in the fire, believe me.

AltyFan101

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2020, 02:07:53 AM »

No issue in giving younger players such as Hancock, Mullarkey, Mooney and Hulme two year deals because they are only going to improve further over the next couple of years.  Only risk is giving the older players such as Richman, Moult and Densmore two year contracts because they may turn out to be not good enough for the National League and at that age it is unlikely they have enough time to get up to the level required.  But, saying that, I agree as has already been said, all of those players have been at the club for years and years and years and you'd hope that if it was clear they were not good enough or weren't needed anymore they would take one for the club and leave without putting the club under too much financial strain in paying out their contracts.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2020, 09:07:13 AM »

I think from memory of when we were last in the National League, most of our players were on 2 year contracts. That is the norm with most teams in the National League.

I don't think many were Steve. I don't recall too many two year deals before this season in each years sqaud.
It's all my fault.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2020, 10:57:20 AM »

But at least if a player does well and moves on, the club is protected by a transfer fee if they are under contract. TV rights and being in the higher window of the National League will generate more interest from other clubs. Two year contracts will ensure the club will will not lose out should any of our players receive attention from higher clubs. We are a club that helps develop player careers also. James Jones, Duncan Watmore, and to a certain extent Elliott Durrell too, spring to mind. Why not protect ourselves and all our players with a contract for two years. We may then have kept Paul Showler for longer than one year as another example.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 12:51:41 PM »

Jack is right that we didn't tend to go for 2 year contracts in the past. I also think it's incredibly naive to suggest that players will cheerfully cancel their contracts for free if needed. I wouldn't expect them to either.

I'm not necessarily criticising the contracts we've given out. I trust the management and like all of our current squad. But I think trying to claim there are no downsides to it at all is something of an excess of optimism. It's a new approach that carries benefits and some possible risks. Let's be realistic here.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 04:27:09 PM »

What I see here, rightly or wrongly, is an attempt to stabilise our squad for two seasons while we hopefully consolidate in the National League. If all goes well after that, the later contracts could be for full time professionals. We continue to progress, the club is in good hands , and I think we're in our healthiest position since 1980. Bring it all on !

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 04:29:10 PM »

No issue in giving younger players such as Hancock, Mullarkey, Mooney and Hulme two year deals because they are only going to improve further over the next couple of years.  Only risk is giving the older players such as Richman, Moult and Densmore two year contracts because they may turn out to be not good enough for the National League and at that age it is unlikely they have enough time to get up to the level required.  But, saying that, I agree as has already been said, all of those players have been at the club for years and years and years and you'd hope that if it was clear they were not good enough or weren't needed anymore they would take one for the club and leave without putting the club under too much financial strain in paying out their contracts.

Densmore will be 32 in November.

Moult's 31st birthday occurred last January.

Richman turned 30 in June.

Hancock will be 30 in early September and Hulme's 30th birthday falls in November.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 04:46:33 PM »

I was 70 on Friday and Mrs S hasn't given me a two year contract yet! I think I'm on non-contract terms 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »

Re the 2 year contract issue I do think there has to be some leeway for the management & squad who’ve taken us from our lowest ebb back to our natural level in just 3 seasons & should justly be rewarded. I also trust the new co-Chairs to make the right call for the wider benefit of the club in the medium & long term-not something I would have necessarily said about the previous regime to be frank.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »

The other concern is; should Phill and Sorvs be tempted by a new deal elsewhere, we're left with players that a new manager might need to move on.
It's all my fault.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »

Haven't Phil and Sorvs still got two years remaining on their current contracts?

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2020, 07:19:59 PM »

Haven't Phil and Sorvs still got two years remaining on their current contracts?

That doesn't mean they can't leave.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2020, 08:12:46 PM »

That doesn't mean they can't leave.

So can any player.

Blimey, nowt like being positive!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Squad line-up