PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Macclesfield
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

Author Topic: Macclesfield  (Read 35848 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Macclesfield
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2020, 08:25:01 PM »

Think it's the council. That would be a silver lining for any phoenix club.
(Could be wrong though 😉!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2020, 08:25:54 PM »

I wonder who owns Macc's ground? That must be worth more than the debts

It looks like Cheshire East council acquired it in 2013.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2020, 09:29:44 PM »

If Macc are wound up it would be 2 great rivals we have beaten without doing it on the pitch. THAT will be a great shame.

AltyFan101

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2020, 11:07:31 PM »

Do feel for Macc, the FA and the EFL need to sort some sort of legislation that allows them to intervene with the club's running.  We've seen time and time again punishment is not enough because these money-grabbers don't seem to care about the football or the results, they're just there for sort term profits for themselves.

AltyFan101

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2020, 11:10:28 PM »

If Macc are wound up it would be 2 great rivals we have beaten without doing it on the pitch. THAT will be a great shame.

If Macclesfield are fully wound up and liquidated and re-enter at counties level, out of curiosity, who would people then consider our main, realistic rival.  For me you can either go historical and say someone like Barrow or look at more recent years in particular and say (and I'm sure many will disagree) Chester.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2020, 11:41:45 PM »

If Macclesfield are fully wound up and liquidated and re-enter at counties level, out of curiosity, who would people then consider our main, realistic rival.  For me you can either go historical and say someone like Barrow or look at more recent years in particular and say (and I'm sure many will disagree) Chester.

Chester and Stockport I would say

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2020, 11:50:48 PM »

Definitely Stockport.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2020, 11:53:15 PM »

Just realized that, if there isn't a fixture backlog to sort out, Macclesfield's demise potentially leaves a two week gap between our visit to Weymouth and our last game at home to Torquay.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2020, 12:03:53 AM »

Just realized that, if there isn't a fixture backlog to sort out, Macclesfield's demise potentially leaves a two week gap between our visit to Weymouth and our last game at home to Torquay.

Glad they gave us Stockport for Christmas and new Year then!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2020, 12:04:42 AM »

If Macclesfield are fully wound up and liquidated and re-enter at counties level, out of curiosity, who would people then consider our main, realistic rival.  For me you can either go historical and say someone like Barrow or look at more recent years in particular and say (and I'm sure many will disagree) Chester.

Chester and Stockport I would say

W!tton Albion for me, I'm still not over '95, and I didn't even stay for the 'afters'!  ;) Though saying that, I met a Chester supporter on Snowdon recently who said he hates us as we always beat them and hopes we go down. Seeing as they're desperate to be our rival... they are funny though, Chester!

More seriously, who else has failed the fit and proper persons test since Stevie Vaughan (the first one to fail it) did over another of our Cheshire rivals, and what has changed since then? For instance, if someone initially passes the test but new information comes to light at any later date, I would really hope that a mechanism is in place to allow their ownership of a club to be reassessed. Something really needs to be done to stop these chancers exploiting football clubs.

And of course this must be a reminder to us to keep up an unceasing vigilance to make sure that such a situation can never ever happen to our club. That is one of the things that pleases me most in recent years, that we are now a million miles away from the situations we faced in the dark times.

If we go up (you never know!) and Wigan go down (more likely), could the rivalry be revived?  It used to be quite  strong I understand. I didn't even know of it when we played them in 1994, but I presume quite a few supporters still remembered it at the time. I seem to remember at a recent friendly, some Wigan supporters sang the red red robin song, which I was slightly surprised by.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:12:39 AM by Hugh »

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2020, 07:20:21 AM »

Glad they gave us Stockport for Christmas and new Year then!

I’m certain that was deliberate on both our & Stockport’s part in terms of anticipating Macc might not be here by Xmas & not wanting to miss out on the traditional Christmas local derby games. I remember a few years back with one of the various Chester FC iterations we made sure we played them at home on the August B/H to maximise gate receipts before they had the plug pulled on them later that season.

I’d say in terms of active dislike & needle on both sides that Chester is the nearest we have to a proper local rival now, Stockport that just isn’t there for me, though if we both stay in the same league for a few seasons & the games are tight then who knows.

On a final note obviously some sympathy for the Macc fans but the chickens have finally come home to roost for them, it’s been an on-going catalogue of numerous EFL disciplinary offences, late (or not at all) paid players & staff, racked up huge debts all whilst trumpeting the ‘miracle’ of winning the Conference 2 years ago. We’ll hopefully see AFC Macc & 1874 Northwich one day again.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2020, 08:18:22 AM »

Yes. A phoenix 1874 Macclesfield vs 1874 Northwich is a distinct possibility!
1874 must have been a heck of a year!

Incidently, I'm not sure why they bang on about that as they have re-formed at least twice up to now (i e before any future phoenix club)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2020, 08:52:54 AM »

I’d say in terms of active dislike & needle on both sides that Chester is the nearest we have to a proper local rival now, Stockport that just isn’t there for me, though if we both stay in the same league for a few seasons & the games are tight then who knows.
Agreed re. Stockport. Geographically they are the natural rival, but there's no history, they're a much bigger club and it feels weird having them here - they're just a victim of mismanagement off the field. Would like to see them go up this year.
Proper rivalries do take some time to be established, but on and off field events with Chester seem to be accelerating that process.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2020, 09:14:02 AM »

From 20 years living on the outskirts of Chester, I can assure you that the only rivalry they see is the one with Wrexham and it will always be that way. They consider us to be a 'part-time pub team' who are trying to create a rivalry with them.

andrewflynn

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2020, 09:33:28 AM »

Agreed re. Stockport. Geographically they are the natural rival, but there's no history, they're a much bigger club and it feels weird having them here - they're just a victim of mismanagement off the field. Would like to see them go up this year.
Proper rivalries do take some time to be established, but on and off field events with Chester seem to be accelerating that process.

Absolutely, it's a bit of a local derby without the rivalry if that makes sense. If anything it's quite friendly and amicable, but then we never turn up when we go there - that helps!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Macclesfield