PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chances of league football
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Chances of league football  (Read 5754 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 30, 2020, 11:21:35 AM »

Well, as of this season we now have direct access to league football. The club now has it's ambition back, which we last had in the 70's/80's/90's.

Seriously what do you think are our chances in the next few years. My own opinion is that we should establish ourselves as a National League Club, taking it slowly over the next couple of seasons.

Build up to full time in stages, and then really push for it. I do feel we would be better going with what the board suggest and are planning for. But I also feel we should grasp what we have done in the last three years and keep the momentum going.

One thing is for certain, it's going to be a roller-coaster ride. In view of the above, I would settle for around mid table in our first season. That would be deemed a success.

Any one else's thoughts??

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of league football
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 12:38:05 PM »

This is where the REAL test comes now for Parky, Sorvs and this team. No longer competing with part-time competition, most NL teams are fulltime with vastly higher budgets and squads.
It's great to see we no longer lack the ambition, but it will come down to ability on and off the pitch. The nightmare scenario would be relegation again.
Just trying to survive may actually be the wrong approach, I think we will attack it like Parky has done previously but in the end it will be playing ability that will decide that.

It's going to be an exciting ride ahead, lots of ups and downs but if we can establish ourselves, increase the fanbase and income, promotion IS achieveable long term.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 02:42:37 PM »

If the momentum keeps going ,the next two or three seasons  could be the best chance since  the near miss of 1991.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 02:54:58 PM »

On paper, we should be up against it certainly. However, we are a very good team used to winning and with an established spine. I think that this will make us competitive initially and I really do believe that we will be the surprise package of the season. Keeping PP and our better players and really kicking on as a club will require us to become full time as soon as possible - there's no point kidding ourselves otherwise.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »

On paper, we should be up against it certainly. However, we are a very good team used to winning and with an established spine. I think that this will make us competitive initially and I really do believe that we will be the surprise package of the season. Keeping PP and our better players and really kicking on as a club will require us to become full time as soon as possible - there's no point kidding ourselves otherwise.

^^^^ This.

Unless one of our strikers can score in the twenties and two others can get fifteen each, we won't be able to keep other sides on the back foot to help our defence.
As Bri says, we can only build a club which can sustain a title challenge in this league if we move towards being full time. It's the only way. PP knows this and so do the club.
I believe they've got this in their plans and we've got to trust them and back them as much as we can.

Bigger crowds are essential in this and we all need to turn up as soon as we can.

Come on you Supers!!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 04:16:43 PM »

I don’t want us to be Gung Ho, but understand the need to not be afraid of attacking teams when and where possible. I would like us to have a solid start back in the National league, and not have to worry about relegation.

I’m convinced with the Team we have, Management ability and positive thoughts throughout the club we are, and will be well able to establish ourselves at this level..

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 09:17:09 PM »

We have a big task on our hands. In essence we have finished 5th in the league below in the last two years. Hoping connectives and spirit will prevail. We need to change to full time by season 2 or the bounce up will be limited
Bernard Taylors barmy army

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 10:32:00 PM »

I believe the fans have a huge part to play in the coming season. Over the past 3 years, this team has been given us so much to be positive about and the supporters have had no real reason to get on their backs during games.  This season will undoubtedly be tougher and it is important that we all keep the faith and remember what these players have given us so far when things aren't going as well as what we have been used to.  I'm not advocating we ignore bad performances or don't have our say when we can see where the team isn't performing - we pay our money and are entitled to our opinions. I can remember however fans turning on the great 78-82 team when it was breaking up and not reaching the standards they'd set before. During PP & NS's time with the club, the support for the team has been fantastic and it has been regularly acknowledged by the management team and the players the confidence boost they get from it - let's keep it that way and continue to show that Altrincham supporters are the best!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 01:48:00 AM »

Personally, I'm more optimistic than I've been for a long time that we can get "back" in the football league (copyright Kenny Palin). Even without Elliot Durrel who was clearly a class act, we have plenty of players who are more than capable of competing at this level - Hancock, Ceesay, Thompson and so on. Crowds are double what they were back in 2003, and if we give them reason to come here - attractive football, a successful team, improved facilities - I don't see why the crowds shouldn't turn up. It's not that much of a gap between our best finish in recent years (13th or 14th) and 7th place, and I genuinely think we are a bit better this time. I feel we should at least have 3 nights training (if we don't already), which definitely seemed to give us an extra edge when we tried it previously.

Funnily enough I was just researching the local population statistics, and it seems that in Altrincham and the surrounding district (Knutsford, Wythenshawe etc.) there are now close to 300,000 people. We just need to give them reasons to come - it's up to us now. My 1978 Rothman's talks of Wigan having over 300,000 living within a 5 mile radius and we're not too far off that. If we could attract a few hundred more our crowds would be comparable to a number of clubs who have played in the league (Morecambe, Accrington etc.) and a lot more than Boreham Wood! And I suspect we are better placed than quite a few clubs to survive any economic downturn (much as I don't want to see one).

Jenga

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 02:40:08 PM »

There may not be the big gulf in previous years between part and full time as Covid-19 will temper the resources of some of those full time clubs.

With the possible gap being smaller we may have a good chance to establish ourselves this season before the other clubs get their finances in order a full time level and bring in better players again.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 03:01:29 PM »

There may not be the big gulf in previous years between part and full time as Covid-19 will temper the resources of some of those full time clubs.

With the possible gap being smaller we may have a good chance to establish ourselves this season before the other clubs get their finances in order a full time level and bring in better players again.

I wouldnt be surprised if a number of clubs went part time for season 21-22

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 03:52:05 PM »

I'd be quite surprised if they did. Most clubs cherish their full time status and are more likely to impose wages cuts and increase gate prices before resorting to that.
Also it might require an almost total squad turnover to achieve and another one if returning to FT in the future.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 08:39:22 PM »

We've gone up at the best possible time, really - a settled squad when others are facing considerable disruption to theirs.

I do think a solid mid-table finish isn't beyond this team - I just hope the fans don't get on the team's back if we do our usual thing of starting slowly.

Further down the line, what worries me is that the spine of the team that have served us so well, aren't getting any younger - we're really going to have to nail most of our recruitment.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 08:54:33 PM »

I would think people are used to slow starts by now. :)

Anyhow, I think having played in the playoffs could be an advantage, with other clubs not having played competitively for over 6 months, and maybe brought in a lot of new players too. I can't see the likes of Dover starting well.

brisbane_alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 12:46:41 AM »

I heard that Barrow were part-time last season - is that correct? If so, an incredible achievement to win the league.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team