News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alex Stepney

Author Topic: Alex Stepney  (Read 3353 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Alex Stepney
« on: September 05, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »

Only just spotted the following. Good to see that he's not forgotten us!

https://twitter.com/AlexStepney1/status/1289853551993221122
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Alex Stepney
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 05:12:55 AM »

I wonder how many other European Cup winners have played at Conference level or below?

*I notice on his Wikipedia page it says that he had 17 games on loan at Altrincham. Who from? Say his previous club was Dallas Tornado.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 05:16:58 AM by Hale Alty »

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 10:32:04 AM »

I wonder how many other European Cup winners have played at Conference level or below?

*I notice on his Wikipedia page it says that he had 17 games on loan at Altrincham. Who from? Say his previous club was Dallas Tornado.

He was on loan from Dallas Tornado! In fact, we had two goalkeepers on loan from them.

"Of the seven members of the Robins’ second string who would make their first team debuts at the Moss Rose on that evening, the most significant was undoubtedly Billy Phillips, the promising 23-year-old 6ft 1in goalkeeper with black curly hair and a moustache who had been Alex Stepney’s understudy at Dallas Tornado in the North American Soccer League (NASL).

Born in Long Island, New York on 9th August 1956, Phillips graduated with a degree in Physical Education from Adelphi University, Nassau County, NY in 1978 but then reputedly proceeded to quit his job as a teacher to play soccer with Dallas Tornado for 50 dollars a week. The NASL club had paid his expenses to travel to England with Alex Stepney in September 1979, in order that he could continue to improve his game under the tutelage of the former Manchester United goalkeeper."
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »

He was on loan from Dallas Tornado! In fact, we had two goalkeepers on loan from them.

"Of the seven members of the Robins’ second string who would make their first team debuts at the Moss Rose on that evening, the most significant was undoubtedly Billy Phillips, the promising 23-year-old 6ft 1in goalkeeper with black curly hair and a moustache who had been Alex Stepney’s understudy at Dallas Tornado in the North American Soccer League (NASL).

Born in Long Island, New York on 9th August 1956, Phillips graduated with a degree in Physical Education from Adelphi University, Nassau County, NY in 1978 but then reputedly proceeded to quit his job as a teacher to play soccer with Dallas Tornado for 50 dollars a week. The NASL club had paid his expenses to travel to England with Alex Stepney in September 1979, in order that he could continue to improve his game under the tutelage of the former Manchester United goalkeeper."

Somebody's been reading my 10-year-old programme articles!

Here's the man in question (No. 22) on a Dallas Tornado team photograph from 1980:

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 12:15:14 PM »

His penalty save at Rotherham stands long in my memory in the FA Cup.  ;D
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alex Stepney