PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Playing next season

Poll

Will next season be played on time and as scheduled?

yes
- 5 (16.7%)
will start on time but some matches will be cancelled
- 9 (30%)
will start but later be cancelled
- 4 (13.3%)
will start late but then run as scheduled
- 6 (20%)
will start late with some matches cancelled
- 4 (13.3%)
will not start at all
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Playing next season  (Read 19407 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Playing next season
« on: September 11, 2020, 08:54:07 PM »

weather not withstanding of course!  ;D

With the current situation and October 3rd only a few weeks away, I tend to think it will be option 5 - if we are lucky. There seem to be just too many forces ranged against a return to sanity, sadly. If we could only have some certainty on this matter, we need (almost) never mention this wretched "political" virus on here again. If only...

It would be good to know what plans, if any, are being made by the club and the league, FA etc. against each eventuality. Presumably any option (apart from the first) would be problematic in different ways for the club.

Of course other options are possible, but 6 is enough for now.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Playing next season
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 07:46:02 PM »

Have locked this poll now, thanks to all those who participated.

Some interesting results, and let's hope the optimists are right!

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 10:17:45 PM »

Have locked this poll now, thanks to all those who participated.

Some interesting results, and let's hope the optimists are right!

If you look at the facts and figures we have every right to be optimistic.

If you listen to the media and the governments we are struggling!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 10:50:33 PM »

;)

I was slightly surprised so many went for the first option (which I suspect we can rule out now).

Still, you always get lots of people betting on England to win the world cup. I hope they're (both) right of course - despite being born in Scotland!

Won't push my luck but hope to give regular updates on the ot section for anyone interested.. I think it could end up being a good thing for the forum if it was a little busier like Chester's.

I won't give up hope of that sold out playoff with Stockport quite yet. Live the dream! (not like Weymouth obviously!)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:58:27 PM by Hugh »

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 08:03:07 AM »

With the season potentially being only a couple of weeks away someone somewhere needs to make a decision soon on whether matches go ahead or not. I understand that a month or so ago the league said no fans no matches however, with the spike in cases its beginning to look like a deferral may happen but will we be any the wiser next week? SBL

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 08:47:40 PM »

With the season potentially being only a couple of weeks away someone somewhere needs to make a decision soon on whether matches go ahead or not. I understand that a month or so ago the league said no fans no matches however, with the spike in cases its beginning to look like a deferral may happen but will we be any the wiser next week? SBL

A spike in cases because of a very inaccurate testing system (Centre for Evidence based medicine) interpreted by a government in a hysterical flap.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 10:02:40 PM »

Don't worry, the test they'll use for "ten million tests a day" will be even more inaccurate!  :)

It's a pity, things were looking so positive on Saturday with 1000 Boro supporters roaring their team on. Ah well, maybe in three to six months (even though the Centre for evidence based medicine has just demolished the case for further restrictions) - if there's enough teams left by then for a league season. Quite honestly, at this rate I think they may have to make ppv streaming only a viable option if they are to start this season at all.

(I have been trying with the ot forum, honest!)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:25:30 PM by Hugh »

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 10:27:51 PM »

Don't worry, the test they'll use for "ten million tests a day" will be even more inaccurate!  :)

It's a pity, things were looking so positive on Saturday with 1000 Boro supporters roaring their team on. Ah well, maybe in three to six months - if there's enough teams left by then for a league season. Quite honestly, at this rate I think they may have to make ppv streaming only a viable option if they are to start this season at all

I asked bt if I could pay to just watch any Alty games they had on. Not a chance,they were keen on flogging me a two year contract at £15 a month.

Happy to pay £10 a game for a few months, being a confident chappy I can see vaccines and the like in the spring.

Fingers crossed.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 11:38:00 PM »

Well - according to the Chester forum, they are actively investigating the possibility of streaming all their games. I don't know if it's different for the "GMVC", but I suspect their hand may be forced if the only viable way of starting the season is by allowing clubs to live stream their matches.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 11:54:07 PM »

Thought the CL had committed to no games played behind closed doors.

I know from a someone at one of the larger clubs that they can simply not afford to run their stadium without gate receipts. They have suffered massively already with no conferences, weddings and pop concerts over the summer. Missing out on Christmas parties could finish them
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 12:10:05 AM »

So we appear to be faced with three options then:

The league change their mind on games behind closed doors if live streaming proves more profitable than thought (rather like Chester equivocating on the playoffs).

The league delays the start for weeks or months in the hope that something turns up (as Micawber might say).

The league cancel the season.

Of course if things turn out better than recent developments suggest, I suppose we might continue with the season as planned from October the third with spectators. But I really would have to get into politics and crackpot theories to expand on this!  ;)

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 08:12:59 AM »

Maybe Johnson should put a curfew on posts rather than pubs.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 08:15:19 AM »

We believe you.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 08:35:53 AM »

So we appear to be faced with three options then:

The league change their mind on games behind closed doors if live streaming proves more profitable than thought (rather like Chester equivocating on the playoffs).

The league delays the start for weeks or months in the hope that something turns up (as Micawber might say).

The league cancel the season.

Of course if things turn out better than recent developments suggest, I suppose we might continue with the season as planned from October the third with spectators. But I really would have to get into politics and crackpot theories to expand on this!  ;)

FIrst option for me Although  I'm guessing paying for testing could be a problem .

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 08:38:10 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Playing next season