PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Playing next season

Poll

Will next season be played on time and as scheduled?

yes
- 5 (16.7%)
will start on time but some matches will be cancelled
- 9 (30%)
will start but later be cancelled
- 4 (13.3%)
will start late but then run as scheduled
- 6 (20%)
will start late with some matches cancelled
- 4 (13.3%)
will not start at all
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Playing next season  (Read 19460 times)

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Playing next season
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2020, 11:21:17 AM »

I imagine that there would be lots of issues to resolve around a streaming service and you'd like to think that discussions are ongoing.
Can't believe that the league would just allow clubs to go off and do their own thing - it'd be bound to be centralised with the extra fuss that would entail.
BT would no doubt have a view on it as it would be competition for their paid for service, and I'm not sure about the Saturday 3pm-5pm blackout, but you'd hope that's still on hold.

Anyway, I'll trust that the club have this covered and we'll just have to wait and see.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2020, 12:49:38 PM »

I'm not concerned too much with other clubs, I am sure the majority in this division can provide a high quality service, if supported with the technicals by BT so it can merge into their offering.

Where there's a will, there's a way (as with the vaccine).

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2020, 01:55:31 PM »

BT are the biggest stumbling block when it comes to live streaming. If they could be persuaded to lower their charges (or preferably introduce a realistic pay-per-view option) I'd be happy to subscribe. Otherwise I suppose I can live with Radio Robins and Alty TV highlights later where possible.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »

BT are the biggest stumbling block when it comes to live streaming. If they could be persuaded to lower their charges (or preferably introduce a realistic pay-per-view option) I'd be happy to subscribe. Otherwise I suppose I can live with Radio Robins and Alty TV highlights later where possible.
Agree with your BT comment.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2020, 09:16:10 AM »

I don't honestly see, even with ppv streaming, how playing matches at this level behind closed doors is sustainable. You can get away with it for a few games in the play offs but who knows how long this will last. The TV deal is probably a fraction of the EFL but you've got plenty of NL clubs budgeted and run as if they are in it.

Zero gate receipts, no bar takings, sponsors lounge income or club shop sales. You're probably talking £6-700k minimum of running costs in a season for us and other clubs are in the millions. We are probably less exposed in all of this compared to other clubs to be fair.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2020, 09:37:50 AM »

I think it's the meeting of the National League today. Apparently they might be asking for around £20 million of government support for the three national leagues. If this comes off, or anything like it, we'll be fine. Fingers crossed for developments eh?

Also wonder what the decision re Macclesfield might be?

Does anyone know what time the meeting is and when we might hear back from it?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2020, 09:40:56 AM »

The meeting is 2pm, according to R4 this morning.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »

I don't honestly see, even with ppv streaming, how playing matches at this level behind closed doors is sustainable. You can get away with it for a few games in the play offs but who knows how long this will last. The TV deal is probably a fraction of the EFL but you've got plenty of NL clubs budgeted and run as if they are in it.

Zero gate receipts, no bar takings, sponsors lounge income or club shop sales. You're probably talking £6-700k minimum of running costs in a season for us and other clubs are in the millions. We are probably less exposed in all of this compared to other clubs to be fair.

John Coyne said on Granada Reports last  night that  Alty could get through the season with streaming

andrewflynn

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2020, 11:53:06 AM »

That's the nail on the head as far as I'm aware. We'd be able to get by streaming in the short term, and you can rest assured we will look to be as creative as possible with additional extras like programmes for the game, golden goal and so on - but it would be catastrophic for some of the bigger teams in our league who just can't make up that massive food and drink / corporate match day sponsorship deficit.

Personally I'm all for pushing to get the season going behind closed doors but we should respect that it could seriously harm, or even be at the expense of, some clubs in The National League.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2020, 01:04:53 PM »

That's the nail on the head as far as I'm aware. We'd be able to get by streaming in the short term, and you can rest assured we will look to be as creative as possible with additional extras like programmes for the game, golden goal and so on - but it would be catastrophic for some of the bigger teams in our league who just can't make up that massive food and drink / corporate match day sponsorship deficit.

Personally I'm all for pushing to get the season going behind closed doors but we should respect that it could seriously harm, or even be at the expense of, some clubs in The National League.

You have got several clubs losing fortunes in this league as it is, and those who are kept alive by directors and owners pumping money in even with attendances we would love. I would be amazed if they would agree to a scenario where the losses and subsidies become massively worse.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2020, 01:51:13 PM »

But then isn't the only realistic alternative to BCD  - scrapping the entire season - even worse? Maybe it's not, if clubs could cancel all their staff contracts. But that would be a pretty horrendous step to take.

I suspect there will be some sort of support scheme for NL and EFL clubs from the government and/or Premier League. If that does happen, the onus will be on those clubs to get playing.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2020, 07:46:09 PM »

John Coyne said on Granada Reports last  night that  Alty could get through the season with streaming

How many outside the club - those who do not look at the websites and who are casual fans - will know of the streaming? Can this be advertised around the community: local radio, local newspapers, Altrincham Today or even press releases to local TV?

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2020, 08:00:01 PM »

Club need to look to sort  the "match day experience". Watching it in a pub is never going to be that good, but we need to keep people as fans; interested and involved. With the curfew, we could get a lot of day drinkers together in one venue for the game. I'd much rather drink somewhere that can benefit the club for every pint.

If CSH is workable for the Away Games, it needs to be a full fundraising day competing with bottomless brunch/Market for day drinkers. Bands, brunch (beyond bacon sandwiches), bottle bars, private hire of the sponsors lounge.You pay £30 for brunch beer and live music and most gaffs intown (usually six drinks and a small plate).

For Home games if we can use CSH, can we strike a deal to endorse the King George and with a package - Pie Pint Stream, pre-match recorded content.

With a new fanzone, and no MCR  Christmas markets, can we create something on the pitch/stands to allow midweek drinks of mulled wine and bratwurst. People love being overcharged for substandard products, it's worth us filling the gap.

With fans not able to spend £50 on matchdays, I'd be interested in how non-football subscriptions:

Thee Terrace sell monthly "loot boxes" £25 a month gets you six items of merchandise unavailable elsewhere.

Do we move away from a program to an £8-10 monthly magazine.

Could Libero do a local beer selection of the away breweries were due to face.? A can from Southampton local brewery, Nottingham brewery delivered in month one.
It's all my fault.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2020, 08:11:09 PM »

Club need to look to sort  the "match day experience". Watching it in a pub is never going to be that good, but we need to keep people as fans; interested and involved. With the curfew, we could get a lot of day drinkers together in one venue for the game. I'd much rather drink somewhere that can benefit the club for every pint.

If CSH is workable for the Away Games, it needs to be a full fundraising day competing with bottomless brunch/Market for day drinkers. Bands, brunch (beyond bacon sandwiches), bottle bars, private hire of the sponsors lounge.You pay £30 for brunch beer and live music and most gaffs intown (usually six drinks and a small plate).

For Home games if we can use CSH, can we strike a deal to endorse the King George and with a package - Pie Pint Stream, pre-match recorded content.

With a new fanzone, and no MCR  Christmas markets, can we create something on the pitch/stands to allow midweek drinks of mulled wine and bratwurst. People love being overcharged for substandard products, it's worth us filling the gap.

With fans not able to spend £50 on matchdays, I'd be interested in how non-football subscriptions:

Thee Terrace sell monthly "loot boxes" £25 a month gets you six items of merchandise unavailable elsewhere.

Could Libero do a local beer selection of the away breweries were due to face.? A can from Southampton local brewery, Nottingham brewery delivered in month one.

Some great ideas in there. The clubs that get creative will be the ones to come out the other end of this mess on top.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2020, 08:56:32 PM »

Some great ideas in there. The clubs that get creative will be the ones to come out the other end of this mess on top.

Yes indeed! Love these ideas

and

Marketing the club shop better (Christmas presents!!!!!!)
New sponsorship options like sponsoring a seat in the main stand - we did this about 20 years ago
Will the CSH be showing Prem League games - get some packages there?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Playing next season