PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ex player news
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ex player news  (Read 8142 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Ex player news
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 10:48:30 AM »

Whilst it's easy for me to say so now, I did always think he was a bit of a myth - looked like Messi in the Evo Stik, was ineffective as much as he was effective the level above.

Bringing in Owen Dale and Ashley Hemmings proved there was better quality out there - and more importantly, players that could retain the ball more effectively.

There's no way I'd take him back here now - he isn't good enough against defenders at this level. Could you imagine him coming up against that Bromley team?

For his own sake he needs a move back to a club with less expectation like Curzon Ashton.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »

I would have no hesitation in bringing JJ back. Phil & Neil got the best out of him & I am convinced that he could be a success in the National League.
He made an outstanding contribution over two & a half seasons.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 11:39:06 AM »

I would have no hesitation in bringing him back if we needed him, but wingers don't seem a problem at the moment. I'm hoping that everything goes tits up for Jordan at Fylde tbh.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 11:43:05 AM »

I would have no hesitation in bringing JJ back. Phil & Neil got the best out of him & I am convinced that he could be a success in the National League.
I have to agree with Brian. JJ was a great provider for Hulme and Hancock as well as scoring a fair few himself. Whilst we may well be missing Jordan Hulme, we are also missing a provider. JJ has not been successfully replaced in spite of the various signings designed to do just that.

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2020, 11:43:17 AM »

Well, I agree with Brian Flynn. I would like to see JJ back and under the Alty management team and working on his final ball. The way in which those two at Chester manage (I say manage loosely) is not for me and neither does it appear for JJ. SBL

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 11:58:08 AM »

Rather re-sign Anthony Griffiths
Full time and proud of it

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »

I've heard JJ wasn't the easiest player to manage but what it shows is how good PP & NS are at getting the best out of player. One thing I miss with JJ is the width he gave us - if the play was on one side of the pitch he would often go and stand on the other, away from the play  and gave us a fast route out which was his forte. I'm not saying it would work at NL level or as was even a management tactic but JJ haring off after the ball in the clear was something we saw a lot of. His final ball let us down too often though.

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2020, 12:09:48 PM »

I hope that I don't cause offence to anyone on here, but (and this is only my subjective opinion) talk of JJ ever coming back to Moss Lane must be based on pure sentimentality.

I was watching "Parky's Dream" yesterday after the Maidenhead game, and one thing that struck me was just how well Phil and Neil have done with the same core group of players e.g. Thompson, Hancock, White. Players who are good enough for the National League.

Some players we had prior to this level of promotion just had to move on, e.g. Harrop, Harrison and, in my view, JJ. JJ is nowhere near as good as Durrell, Mooney, Kosylo and probably not even better than an aging Mahon.

A lot of blame for JJ's apparent dip in form is being aimed at Chester's management team, but do not forget that JJ did not only leave for Chester's short lived wealth; he had played for Bern and Jonno before and has a great relationship with them. I can't imagine that they don't back him all the way.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2020, 12:21:55 PM »

i'd have him back. could have done with his running at the bromley defence. better with the ball at his feet than ceesay.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2020, 01:50:43 PM »

Both parties have headed in different directions since he moved on. It's time we did for good too.

Might sound a bit harsh, but we just don't need him.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 02:28:39 PM »

Isn't this the point - we've got a management team that get the best out of players and seem to be building a reputation of providing EFL clubs real added value rather than merely open age competitive football for their young loanees. Clear to anyone from his time here JJ had pace to burn and plenty of ability, he just needed the right coaching, so he's exactly the same at Chester but with different results. By the way, if anyone was offered double their wages in a profession which is one clumsy tackle from ending would you turn it down?

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2020, 03:32:01 PM »

My lasting memory of JJ will be away to Chester two seasons ago. The game started quite tight and they tried to press us, but when they did an early ball over the top set JJ away several times. As the game progressed they had to defend deeper and deeper because they couldn’t deal with the pace we had on the wings, which meant there was space for others to play.
It seems clear to me that teams are pressing us early to stop us playing and we could do with that electric pace to break the press. Hopefully Ceesay can do it but JJ wouldn’t be the worst option.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2020, 03:41:07 PM »

I was gutted when he left. I used to love watch him loitering on the wings. He was usually unmarked. I just don't think that would happen at this level. So then what? It sounds like however Chester is expecting him to play isn't bearing much fruit.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2020, 04:19:21 PM »

Any player who leaves mid-season for a few quid, could do it again. I wouldn't want someone who would disrupt the sqaud.
It's all my fault.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2020, 05:59:24 PM »

Whatever you think of JJ he was good for Alty. Frustrating? Certainly.
Decent winger with very good pace

I hope he can get going for Chester.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ex player news