PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tommy Docherty RIP
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tommy Docherty RIP  (Read 6485 times)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Tommy Docherty RIP
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2021, 09:27:30 PM »

I can't remember who it was against but in one of his first games, maybe even his first, we scraped a 1-0 win away and he gave 3 players their debuts - if memory serves Adrian Mann (who I think scored), Darren Heesom and another who's name escapes me.

I have a cassette tape somewhere with a recording off the radio of that pub meeting mentioned earlier - if I can find it I'll upload it.

Paul

It was a few games into Docherty's spell in charge, and was away at Welling United where we won 1-0 through a Gary Stewart penalty. Jimmy Collins, Bobby Coy and Adrian Mann were the players who made their debuts, but they were all gone by the following month. Adrian Mann scored in the following match.

PS I also have Mick Farrelly scoring a penalty at Hyde later that season.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2021, 09:51:54 PM »

Must have been the following game because I've never been to Welling. Bobby Coy was the other new player to me.

It was a few games into Docherty's spell in charge, and was away at Welling United where we won 1-0 through a Gary Stewart penalty. Jimmy Collins, Bobby Coy and Adrian Mann were the players who made their debuts, but they were all gone by the following month. Adrian Mann scored in the following match.

PS I also have Mick Farrelly scoring a penalty at Hyde later that season.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2021, 10:00:25 PM »

Must have been the following game because I've never been to Welling. Bobby Coy was the other new player to me.

It's funny how memory works and leaves certain things out. I could remember three players making their debut, and could remember Coy and Mann, but thought it was a  home game until I checked, and had completely forgotten Jimmy Collins, whose career lasted longer than the other two.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 10:53:59 PM »

RIP Tommy, I remember him coming to the club in a blaze of publicity, it never worked out. I remember going to Droylsden or somewhere similar with a synthetic pitch and we were appalling, not long after he departed.

Saturday, 19th December 1987.

We scraped a 1-0 victory in an FA Trophy tie at Hyde United.

With the winner scored by the great John Timmons, whom we had signed from Hyde the previous summer. I watched that game from the main stand at Hyde and it was lively to say the least.

Laurence,

I have distant memories of us winning that match courtesy of a late penalty scored by Mike Farrelly.

Flynny - can you help us out?

Actually I think you're right - Timmons's contribution was to win the penalty with a sharp burst into the box. That's the bit I remember because a couple of Hyde fans were quick to tell us how lucky we were to have him. I don't remember who scored the pen but could well have been Farrelly.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tommy Docherty RIP