PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sutton Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Sutton Match Thread  (Read 22845 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Sutton Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2021, 10:18:57 PM »

When was the last time we got a result with the last kick/header of the game?

(Anyone who can't come up with at least one possible answer should be ashamed of themselves)

Hanks against Blyth in the playoffs to take us into ET.

Another obvious is Wilkinson against Guiseley

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2021, 10:30:45 PM »

Gateshead away. Two late goals?

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2021, 11:43:58 PM »

(Anyone who can't come up with at least one possible answer should be ashamed of themselves)

For a real last-gasp goal, my mind goes back for some reason to a Paul France header which got us a 1-0 win at home to... Yeovil? Early 90s.

Was that maybe late 93-94 when Kingy came back to save us from relegation. I recall watching it from the pop side, led to a mini pitch invasion IIRC. Paul France could really head a ball.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2021, 02:29:58 AM »

For a real last-gasp goal, my mind goes back for some reason to a Paul France header which got us a 1-0 win at home to... Yeovil? Early 90s.

Was that maybe late 93-94 when Kingy came back to save us from relegation. I recall watching it from the pop side, led to a mini pitch invasion IIRC. Paul France could really head a ball.

Saturday, 13th March 1994

Alty 1  Yeovil Town 0.

The permtastic Darren Heesom takes a free kick from in front of where the Family Stand is now located and curls it over to the far post where the onrushing Paul France times his run perfectly and promptly heads the ball into the net. Cue: joyous scenes.

One of my personal favourite last-gasp winning goals came courtesy of Jeff Johnson at the Golf Road End in that pulsating 4-3 FA Cup First Round victory over Southport at Moss Lane on Saturday, 25th November 1978. Made all the more euphoric by the fact that Southport had levelled the tie at 3-3 merely a minute or two earlier.

It ultimately paved the way for our inaugural visit to glamorous White Hart Lane (via exotic Droylsden).

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2021, 09:22:55 AM »

This one was pretty close to the final whistle, if not actually last kick. Quite pleasing.

https://youtu.be/2HxkmpJVXlk?t=415
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 09:25:11 AM by Hale Alty »

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2021, 11:31:37 AM »

A great performance and just like vs stockport these are a fancied team for the title.  The team really looks to be coming together at the moment and as others have said Alistair smith has a key role,  I really like our 3 CB and i think they are interchangeable in terms of quality.  Also like the mooney, colclough, kosylo, ceesay hancock options.  The pitch was dreadful and we looks like we got to grips with it in the 2nd half, the ball just kept running and running and there wasnt the same grass resitance to slow it down.
To go back to the earlier points on this thread, i'm delighted that there is still football, we need in these dark times moments in the week to look forward to
Bernard Taylors barmy army

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2021, 11:41:00 AM »

This one was pretty close to the final whistle, if not actually last kick. Quite pleasing.

I felt so sorry for the away following.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2021, 11:45:03 AM »

I felt so sorry for the away following.

Wonder what they're all up to?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2021, 01:35:18 PM »

Wasn't it Paul France who scored a late, late equaliser away at Colwyn Bay in the FA Trophy to earn a replay in about 1995/96? I think it finished 3-3 and Andy Reid was also sent off for headbutting one of their players?
Come on Alty!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2021, 02:56:51 PM »

I think I have the picture taken of the goal celebration with Richard Harris and a couple of others running after Franny after he had scored the goal against Yeovil Town. It is also in the book Kingdom come. It is a great photo and shows the joy on all the players faces.

NauticaPete

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2021, 03:20:40 PM »

Wasn't it Paul France who scored a late, late equaliser away at Colwyn Bay in the FA Trophy to earn a replay in about 1995/96? I think it finished 3-3 and Andy Reid was also sent off for headbutting one of their players?
Yes, I was at that game. I think we went 2-0 up and took our foot off the pedal, let them get back into it and then fell behind. Showed a bit of urgency last 10 but looked like it would not be our day. Then Franny scored the last-gasp header, we all went spare and a few people jumped over the hoardings.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2021, 09:17:54 PM »

Just had a quick look at the Sutton forum and I must say that I found it to be one of the most fair minded opposition forums I've seen in a long time.
Not exactly a busy site but certainly a fair one
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2021, 10:32:11 PM »

Another last kick of the game goal -Jake at Kings Lynn!

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2021, 10:49:09 PM »

And another - Matt Doughty's penalty at the end of the 3-2 win at home to Gateshead, ten years or so ago.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2021, 02:06:29 AM »

Sam Heathcote, the unexpected scorer of the winning goal after 90 (+5) minutes (merely two minutes after coming on as a substitute) in a 2-1 home victory over Cheltenham Town on Saturday, 5th September 2015.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sutton Match Thread