PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sutton Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Sutton Match Thread  (Read 22844 times)

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Sutton Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2021, 12:36:13 PM »

No, "you" can't drive 200 miles for a football match but the players can. They are athletes going to compete in elite sport and are treated as such.

Get a grip lads, it's not like they are travelling to London for a night out.

Have a look at the list of elite sport games off due to covid. The virus doesn't discriminate. We're told to act as if we have it, but that doesn't apply to some. It's mad.

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2021, 12:50:19 PM »

Okay that's fair, I agree that the rules and the constant changing and inconsistency of them is mad.

Would you really have the game not go ahead though, bearing in mind that elite sport is allowed to continue? I know that you haven't said this by the way, so not trying to put words in your mouth.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2021, 01:28:40 PM »

Okay that's fair, I agree that the rules and the constant changing and inconsistency of them is mad.

Would you really have the game not go ahead though, bearing in mind that elite sport is allowed to continue? I know that you haven't said this by the way, so not trying to put words in your mouth.

I am starting to agree with Steve Bruce, it jars badly with what the nation is trying to achieve. Meh, I'm just hacked off with it all now!!

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2021, 01:41:10 PM »

It's such a polarising topic. For me, football in general is a positive in a very dire situation. Without getting into detail, I still go to work all week and watching the Alty livestreams gives me something to look forward too away from what is happening.

Perhaps this is selfish, I'm not sure. I think people need football as a bit of normality during what has been an awful year.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2021, 01:51:45 PM »

It's such a polarising topic. For me, football in general is a positive in a very dire situation. Without getting into detail, I still go to work all week and watching the Alty livestreams gives me something to look forward too away from what is happening.

Perhaps this is selfish, I'm not sure. I think people need football as a bit of normality during what has been an awful year.

All true and valid points. The season is already all over the shop in terms of timing. Having sport join what is meant to be a virus suppressant for a month is reasonable and proportionate I think.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2021, 02:20:30 PM »

All true and valid points. The season is already all over the shop in terms of timing. Having sport join what is meant to be a virus suppressant for a month is reasonable and proportionate I think.

A month ? Three months at least I'm guessing ! I see no problem if elite sport continues, as long as all the protocols are rigorously adhered to. Solskjaer's views on the effects on fans' mental health of stopping play resonate very much with me.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2021, 02:24:11 PM »

Confirmed Alty Team News...

TT
Senior
Mullarkey
Sutton
Connor

Moult
Smith

Kosylo
Hancock
Colclough

Ceesay

Subs: White, Hannigan, Richman, Mooney, Byron Harrison

Would take a draw, but always feel we can beat anyone on our day... playing well & on good run of form... head says score draw, heart says away win...

Hence going to predict 2-1 Alty win (Sutton, Kosylo)...

COYR!  :)
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2021, 04:59:54 PM »

Excellent point. Lovely.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2021, 05:20:39 PM »

Fully deserved that draw, particularly after taking the game to Sutton United after the interval.

We dominated that second half and created all the chances, including a couple of close-range opportunities for Jake Moult; a one-on-one with the goalkeeper with Ryan Colclough and a thumping shot from Alistair (alias 'Anthony', according to the commentator) Smith, which looked destined for the top corner until a Sutton defender contrived to provide a crucial block.

Mind you, the Sutton United TV commentator declared that: "Altrincham have stolen a point". He was enthusiastic enough but ultimately turned out to be a rather amateurish, prattling buffoon, I'm afraid. 

Ceesay and Hancock were never really at the races. Harrison didn't really have a sniff when he came on.

I thought that Connor Hampson had a poor first half and was possibly at fault for their first goal but, my hat, how he atoned with that glorious 94th-minute thunderbolt!
Straight out of the Clive Freeman textbook.

Incidentally, just how many 'volunteers' did Sutton United have inside that stadium?

Oh, and I never want to see an artificial pitch installed at the J Davidson Stadium.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:24:05 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2021, 05:22:55 PM »

Blimey, what a goal from Connor, upset the neighbours by cheering when that flew in.

Least we deserved though as we dominated the second half (credit to their keeper, Boozanus, who was kept busy throughout). 

Thought Sutton United were better first half but we stepped up a level after HT. Very encouraging stuff to go with the performances versus Stockport, teams at or near the top.

Thought Smithy was superb in midfield. We've got loads of threats going forward, just need someone to put them away. Looked like we'd run out of time and then Connor let rip into the top corner...superb stuff!

T.C

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2021, 05:51:32 PM »

very enjoyable game, thought we played well especially in second half, in fact would of been gutted if we had got nothing from that performance. thankyou conner for that screamer, much deserved

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2021, 05:52:40 PM »

Should have won end of. Smith MOM. Thought Harrison looked ok. Worse 3G pitch I've seen since BTH
Full time and proud of it

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2021, 05:54:39 PM »

Thoroughly deserved at least a point. As mentioned above we had so much of the ball in the second half without being able to convert until right at the end. The team spirit really is fantastic. I was quite bemused by Clive Dunn sat somewhere near the microphone moaning his way through the game.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2021, 06:14:20 PM »

I was quite bemused by Clive Dunn sat somewhere near the microphone moaning his way through the game.

Sutton certainly didn't like it up 'em !

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2021, 06:22:55 PM »

Get in! Thoroughly deserved late equaliser...

Connor... what a strike... happy dayz!!! :)

https://twitter.com/Freddie_Alty/status/1347951632995201035?s=20
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sutton Match Thread