PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Loans from now om
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Loans from now om  (Read 11666 times)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Loans from now om
« on: January 18, 2021, 09:50:12 PM »

The league have announced its loans rather than grants for the rest of the season.

Much wailing at Chester because they aren't allowed to accept loans as a fan owned club.

It looks like it's squeaky bum time.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Loans from now om
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 10:08:43 PM »

I think it's worrying for everyone, not just Chester.

The National League was supposed to start on the basis that fans would attend, then, when this didn't happen, that clubs would receive grants rather than loans.  Wealdstone and Concord Rangers have gone public too, with the latter's chairman, Ant Smith (not our newly signed midfielder :) ) saying that he would be 100% behind any club who refuses to play on Saturday.

I believe there is a meeting on Wednesday, but this could be big, and no doubt there will be a statement from our board in due course - a considered statement rather than a panicked tweet, I am sure.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 10:17:45 PM »

I didn't mean to imply only Chester are affected. Kings Lynn chairman has also spoken out. It will cost a comparable amount in Furlough payments than it would to carry on with grants.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 10:52:56 PM »

This could change the outcome for a lot of clubs. Gosh.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 10:57:50 PM »

I wonder how flexible furlough works for players?
It's all my fault.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 02:19:54 AM »

Would need to see the terms of the loans, but, tbh, unless there is a 50 year interest free payback, i cannot see that as sustainable.
We already have businesses going bust, i can see more clubs going the same way, which is tragic as football has been one of very few things to sustain people's morale.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 09:35:56 AM »

I'd welcome a statement or (preferably a zoom) where fans can hear updates on financial information, plans for the stadium (it's totally fine if they've been paused, but if some work has commenced it'd be great to know, or if what it takes for them to re start)
It's all my fault.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 06:05:52 PM »

I'm talking about this on Radio Manchester in about 15-20 minutes if anyone's interested.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 05:34:47 AM »

Didn't we get stung over loans in the past (admittedly with the value of the stadium as collateral)?

This is deeply worrying, but hardly surprising.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 08:23:57 AM »

No grant no play. If the TV money was withdrawn from the big boys they’d not be playing either. This is a complete shambles but hardly surprising given whose implementing the “plan” (?). If they’d been honest upfront about this devious plot I’m confident clubs wouldn’t have wasted their time travelling up and down the country fulfilling their league fixtures if they knew what was in store. In the greater scheme of things the £11 million is small change weighed against the devastation loan repayments would bring. I don’t see them being long term either. If they were long term they’d be giving grants instead. The government isn’t interested in money being repaid beyond their term of office.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 11:01:19 AM »

No grant no play. If the TV money was withdrawn from the big boys they’d not be playing either. This is a complete shambles but hardly surprising given whose implementing the “plan” (?). If they’d been honest upfront about this devious plot I’m confident clubs wouldn’t have wasted their time travelling up and down the country fulfilling their league fixtures if they knew what was in store. In the greater scheme of things the £11 million is small change weighed against the devastation loan repayments would bring. I don’t see them being long term either. If they were long term they’d be giving grants instead. The government isn’t interested in money being repaid beyond their term of office.

I would like to hope our club put measures in place throughout the season for no-fans all year, covid-breaks, increased testing.

We've seen a new Director, Hulme cash and a run culminating in Portsmouth away. We've taken on more FT staff than we've ever had.  I'm hoping all plans were made with a plan to not have any fan for large parts of the season when budgets were set.

We - unlike a lot of clubs - have at least 2 long term fans on the board in Bill and Neil (nothing against LL, Rob and other but they won't have to experienced the turmoil of the clubs financial problems as fans) means we should be in a far strong position to know what is at stake.

We should seek to see the season out - to avoid the impact it'll have on sponsors, ST sales and other investments in year's to come. Obviously if safe to do so. Securing a comfortable 11-13th place finish would set the groundwork for our push on the FL rather than finishing 6th with half the games to go.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 11:17:33 AM by HashtagAlty »
It's all my fault.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »

I would like to hope our club put measures in place throughout the season for no-fans all year, covid-breaks, increased testing.

We've seen a new Director, Hulme cash and a run culminating in Portsmouth away. We've taken on more FT staff than we've ever had.  I'm hoping all plans were made with a plan to not have any fan for large parts of the season when budgets were set.

We - unlike a lot of clubs - have at least 2 long term fans on the board in Bill and Neil (nothing against LL, Rob and other but they won't have to experienced the turmoil of the clubs financial problems as fans) means we should be in a far strong position to know what is at stake.

We should seek to see the season out - to avoid the impact it'll have on sponsors, ST sales and other investments in year's to come. Obviously if safe to do so. Securing a comfortable 11-13th place finish would set the groundwork for our push on the FL rather than finishing 6th with half the games to go.

Can't disagree but if you were one of the bottom three clubs your priorities might be different.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 12:12:32 PM »

Wonder what the position of the Club is with regards to the three options outlined by the NL?
PS. Wouldn't expect official comments from the Club at this stage, obviously.

Wouldn't be surprised to see NLN and NLS calling to end the season with the National preferring to play on given the preoccupation with the preservation of the promotion spots to League 2.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 12:20:55 PM »

Clubs have told the National League their preference from 3 options:

1) Clubs take on long term low-interest loans

2) The League takes on the loan & gives clubs grants, with future League central payments to clubs then reduced

3) Suspend the season

I'd imagine we'd want 2,1,3 as we could always look to find other ways to fund other than loans (director loans, fan fundraising etc, sponsorship)

Clubs so far:

2 Chester Eastbourne Hemel
3 Darlington concord Tonbridge slough

Gloucester and Dorking say none - would rather lobby Gov or let clubs drop out with no punishment.
It's all my fault.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 12:58:57 PM »

Clubs have told the National League their preference from 3 options:

1) Clubs take on long term low-interest loans

2) The League takes on the loan & gives clubs grants, with future League central payments to clubs then reduced

3) Suspend the season

I'd imagine we'd want 2,1,3 as we could always look to find other ways to fund other than loans (director loans, fan fundraising etc, sponsorship)

Clubs so far:

2 Chester Eastbourne Hemel
3 Darlington concord Tonbridge slough

Gloucester and Dorking say none - would rather lobby Gov or let clubs drop out with no punishment.

"as we could always look to find other ways to fund other than loans (director loans, fan fundraising etc, sponsorship)"

Hmm really...…….You would advocate director loans. In terms of sponsorship and fundraising, I admire your enthusiasm, but are we not doing this anyway and struggling as it is to find fans and local companies to hand over cash ?

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Loans from now om