PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Torquay Match Thread  (Read 29892 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Torquay Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 10:02:50 PM »

Must say I'm a bit surprised that nobody has asked where Chris Senior is at the moment. 😄
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 10:25:45 PM »

Right, let's give new players a few games before deciding they're irredeemably terrible. Remember the flak Tony Thompson got when he first joined? What about Nicky Clee? Oneneedham, you were on Harrison's case before you even saw him play! You don't have to have one player you constantly advocate for dropping, you know.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 10:27:23 PM »

The main site. See you next tuesday. Is that no longer a way of saying c**t?

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 10:36:37 PM »

Right, let's give new players a few games before deciding they're irredeemably terrible. Remember the flak Tony Thompson got when he first joined? What about Nicky Clee? Oneneedham, you were on Harrison's case before you even saw him play! You don't have to have one player you constantly advocate for dropping, you know.
Barnet away each side of half time. First effort body shape didn’t resemble a strikers instinct and he let the defender get across him. The one just after half time was embarrassing. Kosylo put it on a plate. Appalling first touch but still had chance to bungle the ball in with a modicum of athleticism but chose to try and hold off the attacker who was behind him. I can spot a footballer. This guy ain’t one at this level. I rated Nicky Clee the first time I saw him play. He had balance and could look up when he was running with the ball. To compare Harrison after a few games and Nicky Clee after a similar number of games is ludicrous. Barnet fans will fill anybody in about Harrison’s pros and cons. to endorse the opinion I have formed about him from what I have seen. I’ve picked a bit up since I saw my first professional football game 62 years ago. Be better off playing Simon Richmond or Saun Densmore up front.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 10:46:34 PM »

Well that's gone right over your head. Analysing one of his early performances to counter the argument we should give him more than a handful of games before writing off doesn't really make sense. Look, he's played, what, three games for us and already showed improvement. Personally, I trust the judgement of that guy who's got us to 4th in the conference over the forum that lost its mind when Lawrence Taylor did some short passing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:53:38 PM by RageAgainstTheFirstTeam »
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 11:24:19 PM »

It's very unfortunate that Byron Harrison made a bad mistake - and there is no doubt that it was a very bad miss - in his first start at Barnet, and that dominated any thoughts about his performance in that match. However, he played well enough in the preceding and following matches.
In effect, as he is on a short-term deal, he's on a trial (I am sure Phil Parkinson said the only way we can test potential new signings is to play them), and I have seen enough to say he's worthy of a further look, but not enough yet to say we should sign him on a longer term deal. He comes from London; is he still based there, does anyone know?

Sitting on the fence, I know...

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2021, 01:30:01 AM »

Well that's gone right over your head. Analysing one of his early performances to counter the argument we should give him more than a handful of games before writing off doesn't really make sense. Look, he's played, what, three games for us and already showed improvement. Personally, I trust the judgement of that guy who's got us to 4th in the conference over the forum that lost its mind when Lawrence Taylor did some short passing.
%

Exactly! Maybe these decisions are better left with Parkie.
I thought Harrison showed good positional sense and no little grit on Tuesday.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2021, 08:26:29 AM »

%

Exactly! Maybe these decisions are better left with Parkie.
I thought Harrison showed good positional sense and no little grit on Tuesday.
  I'm not claiming to pick the team but giving a personal opinion (surely the purpose of a fans forum). PP is in charge. We can all, with your permission of course, put our two penneth in. We all have an opinion even if some topics go over some of our heads. I will aspire to reach your heady heights one day sir. In the meantime I will content myself in being in awe of your superior and unchallenged standpoint. COYR.

andrewflynn

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2021, 08:38:21 AM »

I thought Byron Harrison's 70-or-so minutes on Tuesday night were one of the better performances put in by our cohort of strikers this season. Evident in how often Josh Hancock looked much more like Josh Hancock.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 09:07:04 AM »

I thought Byron Harrison's 70-or-so minutes on Tuesday night were one of the better performances put in by our cohort of strikers this season. Evident in how often Josh Hancock looked much more like Josh Hancock.

Andrew, I'd agree, thought he showed some good potential. If he can grab a goal his confidence will really increase.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »

I know it sounds daft, but taking a consensus from another fanbase is never usually very far off.

A couple of sets of fans from Harrison's former employers have expressed surprise he still gets a Conference gig, however I'd back Phil to get a tune out of him more than anyone else, and if it means we have a viable short-term option then so be it.

For me Hancock has been taking up the poacher positions someone like Peers should have been - I think that's why there's clamours to try him there, particularly given we now have players more than capable of being effective number 10s in his absence, which wasn't previously the case.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 12:11:49 PM »

I saw a game against Wrexham (3-2 2015?) and watched a ball into Perry's feet and a ball around the corner to men bombing on.

For me, that's what we need. Unfortunately, I don't feel Harrison or Peers are able to play the 2nd ball. Michael Rankine or Perry could. 

It's not about a big player; it's about ball retention.

It's all my fault.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 12:32:35 PM »

The telling thing for me was that Bryan didn't mention Harrison until the Wealdstone game was about 20 minutes old.

Perhaps he was doing great things off the ball that I didn't notice.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 01:07:45 PM »

I noticed when Harrison was taken off on Tuesday how PP greeted him with a big smile in a congratulatory way - clearly PP was happy with what he'd done on the night. In PP we trust.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 03:24:19 PM »

Not sure when I was Harrison case before he played? I admit I had a strong opinion about Fis and where is he now?
Harrison is much better but he is far from what we need. He showed no grit and didn't want the ball to him.
My opinion is we would be a much better team for quality and more threatening wih Kossy, Colclough, Hanks and Mooney. Football is a discussion but I am quite confident Harrison will not end up being our number 9 long term so play your strongest eleven.
Those 4 are a level or two above Harrison, so personally would love to see them all play together.
I think Ceesay would be more dangerous than Harrison and I reckon even Colclough, out of position, would do a better job, he can shift the ball out of his feet and has a great strike.
I have in the past criticised TT but he has stepped up, made up that he is proving me wrong. His kicking has been absolutely brilliant this season.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Torquay Match Thread