News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wealdstone - a sorry saga

Author Topic: Wealdstone - a sorry saga  (Read 3833 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« on: February 07, 2021, 09:41:39 AM »

When we played our rearranged league fixture at Grosvenor Vale back in November, our 1-0 defeat was the fourth in a series of five straight league wins for the hosts. The story behind manager Dean Brennan's departure - both versions of it - can be found on John Laidlar's site, and it comes in the wake of a run of only 5 points from their last 11 league games.

Who is the REAL villain of the piece ? The evidence seems to point to Brennan's assistant Stuart Maynard, who appears to have been cosying up to the chairman behind his back. Brennan claims he was made promises, and turned down an approach from another club (Barnet ?) to stay at Wealdstone. Certainly the sudden departure of two other members of the coaching staff, along with four recently signed players, and the return of another former coach - all within a couple of days - seems to point to skullduggery at boardroom level.

How much has all of this affected the players ? The 4-1 Trophy defeat at Darlington yesterday would indicate that there's more pain in store yet for Wealdstone's supporters.

It's good to be an Alty fan, and all the better when some of our rival clubs couldn't organise the proverbial brewery event.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wealdstone - a sorry saga
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 09:13:36 PM »

People who have no respect for either the club or the fans!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 11:05:50 PM »

It is really great to be where we are, and one appreciates it all the more when one considers what has happened to our traditional rivals, Northwich, Macc, Witton and Runcorn.

Such a shame for Wealdstone - the best position they'd been in since the 80's, and joins Stockport and Hereford in a list of sorry sagas. To be fair, the jury's still out on how Stockport will do post Gannon, but it's hard to believe they'll do better with a new man.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 11:11:49 PM »

our traditional rivals, Northwich, Macc, Witton and Runcorn.

Don't forget Wigan! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 11:28:03 PM »

Could see a return next season!

I was slightly surprised though to hear some Wigan fans singing the "red red robin" song the last time we played them in a friendly. Looks like some of them haven't forgotten either! I remember the Neil Morton song when we played Wigan in the cup in 1994 but not much else.

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 08:27:03 AM »

Were Witton ever a rival? Or did they just conveniently fit the number of syllables needed for the song?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 09:03:54 AM »

Were Witton ever a rival? Or did they just conveniently fit the number of syllables needed for the song?
The original song, as I remember it was, "We hate Wigan Athletic, we hate Macclesfield too. We hate Northwich Victoria but the Robins we love you!"
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 10:55:00 AM »

I much prefer this version Saughall, perhaps it is time to revert to it!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 01:08:06 PM »

I much prefer this version Saughall, perhaps it is time to revert to it!
I've been singing that version for over 55 years 🙄!
(some times on my own admittedly)
😂😂😂😂

PS. The nearest Witton came to being a rival was in the two legged CSC final in 1967 (I think) when we recovered from being a goal down at the Central Ground to win 3-2 on aggregate in front of over 7000 at Moss Lane.
Still remember 'strolling Ken' Barnes (ex City) as their player - manager and Peter (?) Mellor their blonde keeper who went to Fulham. Sure they had a centre back who made it big too. Think it was Chris Nicholl.
That was the bloke who played for Aston Villa and Northern Ireland
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:04:25 PM by Saughall Robin »

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 01:40:21 PM »

Witton had / have more in common with us, than divide us - mostly sharing a natural distaste for all green and white named Victoria!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:58:26 PM by CRT Butty »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 02:06:10 PM »

They couldn't have had much distaste for their green neighbours as they have often taken their money as tenants when needed.
At least we only let them play at ML once (I think 🤔)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 02:39:17 PM »

Peter Mellor in fact played in the 1975 FA Cup Final for Fulham against West Ham

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 02:53:44 PM »

Peter Mellor in fact played in the 1975 FA Cup Final for Fulham against West Ham

Now 73. a US citizen living is the USA. I remember him well, he was a very good keeper whose looks could easily pass him as a German Aryan.. 

Reading about him brought back happy memories of days long gone.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 02:59:03 PM »

Now 73. a US citizen living is the USA. I remember him well, he was a very good keeper whose looks could easily pass him as a German Aryan.. 

Reading about him brought back happy memories of days long gone.

Bizarrely, one memory I have of him is the number 1 on the back of his Jersey being up near the back of his neck!

The other bizarre recollection was Witton had the only footballer I know named Eli. (Eli Gorton) but I'm sure someone on here will know of others! 😉
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:07:54 PM by Saughall Robin »

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 07:14:47 PM »

Witton had / have more in common with us, than divide us - mostly sharing a natural distaste for all green and white named Victoria!

Why I could never like Irvine Victoria!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team