PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chesterfield Away Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Chesterfield Away Match Thread  (Read 16241 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield Away Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2021, 12:58:11 PM »

Richman was on the bench. Thompson doesn't seem to recognise when he is kicking with the wind. He was booting the ball too long last night and he did it previously a couple of games ago. Get it up to the forwards yes, but give them a chance.

I've come to the conclusion that Tom Peers is a good finisher but is missing for much of the game. I thought he put more effort in last night than Saturday, but even then the commentary team didn't mention him much.

Tom doesn't do well when he has to think. Give him time and he will struggle, a flash across goal and he's better.

He gives his all but it isn't enough over 90, where as have him play 20, it's more concentrated.
It's all my fault.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2021, 01:24:33 PM »

Harrison is a target man that holds the ball up very well. I’d like to see him with a strike partner before we dismiss him. Peers was an average squad player at NLN level he should not be starting a NL game. TT should have a game or two off he’s become too comfortable (his form improved when Drench came to the club)

All for opinions but to partner Harrison with another striker would mean dropping Hankcock or Kossy as no.10 and that would be absolutely ludicrous.
People have mentioned his hold up play. At no point has he brought anyone into the game or created a chance.
It was bouncing off him last night.
He is way off the standard. Even his record of many clubs and little goals tells you the story.
The sooner we get Piggott up top with Hancock as number 10  and  then Colclough, Kossy or Mooney out wide the better.
Ceesay is also coming into form which is vital. If Piggott isn't fit then we need to bring in a PROVEN number 9.
It has been the bloody topic all season and it needs sorting.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2021, 01:30:16 PM »

And Gould 100% should be given an opportunity. TT is flapping at crosses, always palms away long range shots and his kicking has dropped again. Also moaning a lot and doesn't looked switched on himself. PP pipes on about when players are below par then others come in so for a number of games Peers, Harrison, White and TT have been below the standard. Let's see some action and not words.

andrewflynn

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2021, 01:40:27 PM »

Eh? I can't be on my own in thinking Tony Thompson is one of the current candidates for Player of the Season.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2021, 01:44:47 PM »

Eh? I can't be on my own in thinking Tony Thompson is one of the current candidates for Player of the Season.

Indeed.
And Andy White has hardly started a game at this level, let him have a chance to see what it's about first (like most of the squad had back in October). He hasn't lunged in for 2 40:60 challenges and get sent off in the first 30 minutes of a match has he?

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2021, 01:50:45 PM »

That's why his dip in form has been noticed. He really struggles to claim crosses and get down to long range shots. Gould deserves a few game in my opinion.
Maybe he needs the competition to wake him up a bit.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:54:08 PM by oneedham »

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2021, 01:53:49 PM »

Indeed.
And Andy White has hardly started a game at this level, let him have a chance to see what it's about first (like most of the squad had back in October). He hasn't lunged in for 2 40:60 challenges and get sent off in the first 30 minutes of a match has he?

Agreed that Connor needs to think and not lunge.

Watch White defend, he stands yards off the attacking player and backs away. Always done it but at this level crosses are costing us in most games.

I know I am slamming some players but I am desperate for us to turn it around and we need to be playing our strongest team and even with all the injuires we are not playing our best 11 and it is very frustrating.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2021, 02:47:35 PM »

Coming round to thinking Harrison is not the answer to the number nine problem.
Also have always agreed with HashtagAltys view that Peers should not be a starter but rather an impact sub at best.
That means if Fisayo is still unfit (if he is still with us) Piggott needs to be starting.
If he's not up to it yet then we need to be looking round for a genuine hold up playing number nine.
I'm sure PP and Co are doing just that as he knows the score much better than me.
On another point, TT is certainly a good keeper but it wouldn't do him any harm to give Gould a game. He probably needs one!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

andrewflynn

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2021, 03:20:49 PM »

I am all for competition but Tony Thompson is not the problem here. I'm struggling to attribute any of the recent goals conceded directly to him? You could make a case for some of the crosses, and his pass to Hampson for the second yellow was a bit suicidal, but I would say we simply need to defend much better than we have done. We very much did last night.

On crosses - the great Stuart Coburn was susceptible to this at times. If we had a keeper who could shot stop, command every cross and ping 60 yards consistently, they would not be here long.

So, on kicking - Thompson is not Ederson. There is always going to be an erraticity to what he does, and on the whole I think his distribution is the best I've seen so far at this level. The confidence he has to continually do what is asked of him by Phil and Neil, even if one or two don't go to plan, is commendable and he finds his man way more than he doesn't. This only ever seems to be questioned when we're on a bad run, convenient.

By all means put Matt Gould in on Saturday but when Bromley (who Conferenced the life out of us last time out with a high press) press us and one of our defenders has to go backwards, they're going to expect Thompson to be there. There's an understanding that has been developed and generally, our distribution out from the back has been excellent as a unit.

I do think Gould deserves way more minutes than he has had, though. He should have started in the Trophy and in a normal season we may have had a couple more Cheshire Cup games by now. I'd be all for him coming in if I felt Tony was losing us points but I just don't see how anyone is coming to that conclusion?

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2021, 03:28:08 PM »

Excellent and sensible post.

I am all for competition but Tony Thompson is not the problem here. I'm struggling to attribute any of the recent goals conceded directly to him? You could make a case for some of the crosses, and his pass to Hampson for the second yellow was a bit suicidal, but I would say we simply need to defend much better than we have done. We very much did last night.

On crosses - the great Stuart Coburn was susceptible to this at times. If we had a keeper who could shot stop, command every cross and ping 60 yards consistently, they would not be here long.

So, on kicking - Thompson is not Ederson. There is always going to be an erraticity to what he does, and on the whole I think his distribution is the best I've seen so far at this level. The confidence he has to continually do what is asked of him by Phil and Neil, even if one or two don't go to plan, is commendable and he finds his man way more than he doesn't. This only ever seems to be questioned when we're on a bad run, convenient.

By all means put Matt Gould in on Saturday but when Bromley (who Conferenced the life out of us last time out with a high press) press us and one of our defenders has to go backwards, they're going to expect Thompson to be there. There's an understanding that has been developed and generally, our distribution out from the back has been excellent as a unit.

I do think Gould deserves way more minutes than he has had, though. He should have started in the Trophy and in a normal season we may have had a couple more Cheshire Cup games by now. I'd be all for him coming in if I felt Tony was losing us points but I just don't see how anyone is coming to that conclusion?

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2021, 03:33:25 PM »

Just to be clear I'm not unhappy with Thompson in goal but it would have been better if he hadn't given it full welly in the second half last night. I know Ceesay is fast but he's not that fast. In effect we're just throwing away attacking opportunities.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2021, 03:42:42 PM »

Good post mate.

I suppose deep down I haven't always had my full faith in him. I still don't.

Not really saying he is at fault for the goals. The defence on crosses have been terrible but I do still feel they don't trust him completely.

Gould has not been given any chance to stake a claim.

When TT does a good save or has 2 or 3 decent games he is then somehow immune from beng dropped for months/season even when is below par, like now.

I see other keepers make decent saves every game, commanding 90% of games, kicking not erractic but TT does make a lot of mistakes for a keeper.

Coburn was good nearly every game, albeit maybe not perfect on crosses.

For me, at this level we need a more mobile and consistent keeper.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2021, 05:07:32 PM »

The way we play ie build from the back, we will concede goals from losing possession in bad areas. It happens to best.

Thompsons kicking get worse the windier it is funnily enough. It wouldn't surprise me if he got offered a full time gig next season.

White was poor last night and is way behind Hampson as it stands, but when you are getting  limited game that gap will get bigger.

The peripheral players are a stuck, no CSC, reserve team or downward load deals mean very little game time.

I thought Harrison was ok last night
Full time and proud of it

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2021, 06:02:27 PM »

I think we're being harsh on Andy White to be honest - he made a massive impact when he came on against Barnet, for example.

I'm sorry to say that all the fans of Byron Harrison's former employers can't be unanimously wrong.

We need to accept that - just like Fis, Jamie McDonald, Harrison etc - Piggott is a complete punt given his injuries. Same for Hardy.

No idea how feasible it is, however we should be moving heaven and earth to secure Dudley - apparently he's suffered in the past from not being given a fixed role, tell him he's our number 9 and ask him to crack on.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2021, 06:34:05 PM »

Genuinely loving that we're dissecting performances after a narrow defeat away at Chesterfield and thinking about how we can turn it around when we're 10th in the conference.

Still can't quite believe where we are but in terms of the immediate last few games I think we have looked vulnerable from that clipped ball into the 6 yard box a few times this season. Possibly down to not getting close enough to the wingers as they advance into our final third. That coupled with missing the penalty and you're not going to get much at this level regardless of how good the performance was.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chesterfield Away Match Thread