PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Returning players
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Returning players  (Read 11376 times)

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Returning players
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2021, 09:29:09 PM »

Sass-Davies has had 2 loan moves to us.

id have him permanent in a flash

Same - appears he might be out of contract too. Yeovil would surely now be favourites for his signature if he were to move on, he's played well for them.

Unless he fancies somewhere a little closer to home

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2021, 09:56:48 PM »

Just thought of another keeper who returned... ie Tim Deasy... he was with Alty in 2014 (but didn't play a league game)... he moved to Northwich before returning to Alty in about 2015/16 as back up to legendary Stuart Coburn...

However, when Stuart got his injury that ultimately ended his career then Tim stepped up and played regularly for about one season (his 2nd spell)... he then briefly moved to Guiseley in 2016 and played one league game before returning to Alty for last two years of his career...

During this time (his 3rd spell) he played less regularly due to the emergence of new keeper Tony Thompson who arrived in 2017... he did play part of the final game of the 2018 season coming on as a sub with 15-20mins left for his final game as Alty were crowned champions...
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2021, 01:43:38 AM »

Jeff Wealands is another goalkeeper who enjoyed two spells with Alty.

He left to join Barrow at the end of the 1986/87 campaign but then swiftly saw the light and returned to Moss Lane during the 1988/89 season.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2021, 09:13:12 AM »

Gosh, you're right, how could i forget the great Jeff Wealands... probably my 2nd fav Alty keeper after legendary Stuart Coburn...

Over 250 apps in all competitions over two spells... 1st spell 1985-87 which included 1986 season with memorable 2nd FA Trophy win at Wemberleee and the 3rd round FA Cup win away at top division Birmingham (one of Jeff's old clubs)...

Then after brief spell at Barrow in 1988 he returned to Alty and played til 1992... including the remarkable 1991 season with 28 game unbeaten run, one of my fav Alty wins 4-1 over eventual champions Barnet, plus the unbelievable way we blew up at the end of the season when the title & promotion to the Football League looked nailed on... we were top & think needed only 5or8 points from last 15 available to go up but ended up 3rd and about 5 pts behind Barnet...

Without opening a can of worms, it felt like the club had thrown it away with conspiracy theories suggesting we couldn't afford to go up or players were suddenly told no bonus if promoted... anyway, another close promotion failure & many fans dreams dashed... Jeff was a great keeper for us...

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2021, 09:49:50 AM »

I believe the malign hand of Mr Flashman, combined with the more relaxed player loan regulations at the time made a considerable contribution.
He lent, I believe, Slough a player with specific instructions to "do" Harry Wiggins as we didn't have cover for him. Also several players were loaned out to Clubs we were to play so that they could rest their better players for their game against us

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2021, 10:29:26 AM »

Without wanting to take this thread in a different direction, i still feel that us fans were somewhat let down in our quest for the 'promised land' of the Football League in 1991 for reasons still officially unbeknown... it is hard to believe a team at the top of the table, on back of recent 28 game unbeaten run who had also just beat nearest challengers Barnet 4-1 and with a handful of games left, could implode so spectacularly - maybe a long season caught up with the team or maybe the counspirary theorist have a case... guess may never know for sure...

Think 1991 hurt most; as we were so close and promotion was there that season for the champions and all in our own hands... whereas our two APL title triumphs of 1980 & 81 we had to apply for election - on one occasion missing out by just 1 vote when two clubs 'promised' us their vote which would have seen us promoted at Rochdale expense ... however neither voted as one was late to the vote and the other club rep 'apparently' fell asleep in wrong room after getting pissed - but that's another (near miss) story... gutted as two non-league clubs who came up at end of 1970s Wigan & Wimbledon via elections showed what could be achieved ie reach Premier League & win FA Cup...

Oh well, that was in the past... lets hope for the future and keep the faith with Parky & the present Board who are doing a great job... anyway, back to players who've played two spells for the club...

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2021, 01:35:16 PM »

Peter Densmore was another who had two separate spells at Alty, although the second was less memorable than the first.

On the eve of the 1987/88 season, he departed John Williams' Alty squad (along with Gary Anderson) in order to to reunite with John King at Runcorn.

He then returned for a single season - that bizarre and traumatic 1991/92 campaign under Stan Allan which almost culminated in ignominious relegation.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2021, 01:59:15 PM »

Just thought of another player... Darren Heesom... was signed as fullback from Burnley in late 1980s... played couple seasons before moving onto couple clubs like Macclesfield, Barrow, & Witton... then he was brought back in 1994 by John King (in one of his many managerial spells at Alty) and he played for i think 3or4 more seasons for Alty...

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2021, 12:28:45 AM »

Johhny Worth was before my time

Wow.
Today's been a reality check for me!
First off, too vulnerable to be back at ML with all you invulnerable youngsters.
Now, the great Johnny Worth, well and affectionately recalled, is before your time!

Hope I'm still here when it's safe for me to go back to our ground! 😉
😂🤣😂🤣

In all sincerity, so do I. Sometimes its easy to forget that we aren't all in the same boat. Stay safe in the meantime and hopefully you'll judge the risk is low enough for yourself at some point this year.

Thanks Cheshire.
Due my second jab in a few weeks so a fortnight after that, I'll chance seeing some of the grandkids. 

Can't see either myself or Mrs S being back at ML before next season 😕

(For the record, Tom Peers. Maybe it's just me, but I reckon he's been on it lately -  how many strikers have we had post Maunders who have done this well with goals/assists when we've been top half of the Conference?)

Since you mention it - https://off-guardian.org/2020/12/19/how-belarus-exposes-the-lockdown-lie/

Note the line - "fans were allowed to continue attending games". Frankly, it's largely mass testing that is keeping this going. Look at total deaths and deaths in other years. Look at 2020 total deaths - the worst year for deaths since 2008 when adjusted for population (or so I heard). I remember some people who should've known better moaning about GH in 2008 but not people terrified about the death rate! If you'd have been ok to attend Spennymoor Town last March (as over 1000 of us did), you should be ok to attend now. At any rate, people should be allowed to make their own decisions and fans should be allowed to return in full immediately.

(Hello "London" Alty. Gonna give it your usual? I dare say you want to! Or do something useful and add something we didn't know about Belarus... but as long as this is an issue affecting Altrincham fc first team, I dare say some of us will comment on it on the first team forum, and we won't all necessarily agree with your views).

Hard to see any good outcome for next season. If we need one of those tests within 36 hours of a match (as happened with Everton last year), that might put off some floating support (and radio 4 reiterated that a lot of people from ethnic minorities have been refusing that "vaccine"). Vaccine passports, apart from being criminal and creating a group of second class citizens, would inevitably see some people unable to attend (even if only 20% refuse the "vaccine", if 1/4 of those don't bother with tests, that would still be 5% less able to go to games). And if there are not compulsory tests or "vaccine" passports to attend matches, those of a more nervous disposition might refuse to attend ("London" snowflakes?).

As for 1991, it was 100% burnout. A run to the 1st round of the FAC (ludicrously starting in the 1st qualifying round), the semis of the FAT (with 2 sf legs), the semis of the CSC (and we used our first team in those days), plus 1 or 2  matches in the BLT, add to that some expensive signings by Barnet around the time we played them (h) - Carter from Runcorn for one - and it's easy to see why we lost ground.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:18:19 AM by Hugh »

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2021, 06:07:00 PM »

Wow.
First off, too vulnerable to be back at ML with all you invulnerable youngsters.
Now, the great Johnny Worth, well and affectionately recalled, is before your time!

😂🤣😂🤣

In all sincerity, so do I. Sometimes its easy to forget that we aren't all in the same boat. Stay safe in the meantime and hopefully you'll judge the risk is low enough for yourself at some point this year.

Thanks Cheshire.
Due my second jab in a few weeks so a fortnight after that, I'll chance seeing some of the grandkids. 

(For the record, Tom Peers. Maybe it's just me, but I reckon he's been on it lately -  how many strikers have we had post Maunders who have done this well with goals/assists when we've been top half of the Conference?)

Since you mention it - https://off-guardian.org/2020/12/19/how-belarus-exposes-the-lockdown-lie/

Note the line - "fans were allowed to continue attending games". Frankly, it's largely mass testing that is keeping this going. Look at total deaths and deaths in other years. Look at 2020 total deaths - the worst year for deaths since 2008 when adjusted for population (or so I heard). I remember some people who should've known better moaning about GH in 2008 but not people terrified about the death rate! If you'd have been ok to attend Spennymoor Town last March (as over 1000 of us did), you should be ok to attend now. At any rate, people should be allowed to make their own decisions and fans should be allowed to return in full immediately.

(Hello "London" Alty. Gonna give it your usual? I dare say you want to! Or do something useful and add something we didn't know about Belarus... but as long as this is an issue affecting Altrincham fc first team, I dare say some of us will comment on it on the first team forum, and we won't all necessarily agree with your views).

Hard to see any good outcome for next season. If we need one of those tests within 36 hours of a match (as happened with Everton last year), that might put off some floating support (and radio 4 reiterated that a lot of people from ethnic minorities have been refusing that "vaccine"). Vaccine passports, apart from being criminal and creating a group of second class citizens, would inevitably see some people unable to attend (even if only 20% refuse the "vaccine", if 1/4 of those don't bother with tests, that would still be 5% less able to go to games). And if there are not compulsory tests or "vaccine" passports to attend matches, those of a more nervous disposition might refuse to attend ("London" snowflakes?).

As for 1991, it was 100% burnout. A run to the 1st round of the FAC (ludicrously starting in the 1st qualifying round), the semis of the FAT (with 2 sf legs), the semis of the CSC (and we used our first team in those days), plus 1 or 2  matches in the BLT, add to that some expensive signings by Barnet around the time we played them (h) - Carter from Runcorn for one - and it's easy to see why we lost ground.

In North Jutland in Denmark there are 11 areas: 7 went into lockdown and 4 didn't.
Amazingly there were no significant differences in cases/deaths between these regions.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2021, 10:13:32 PM »

Another amazing "fact" that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. What also amazes me is the "fact" that eminent expert epidemiologists are forced by Government cuts to take second jobs working in supermarkets.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2021, 10:30:05 PM »

Another amazing "fact" that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. What also amazes me is the "fact" that eminent expert epidemiologists are forced by Government cuts to take second jobs working in supermarkets.

I work in a supermarket  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2021, 10:59:07 PM »

Wow.

😂🤣😂🤣

Thanks Cheshire.

In North Jutland in Denmark there are 11 areas: 7 went into lockdown and 4 didn't.
Amazingly there were no significant differences in cases/deaths between these regions.
Are there any people in North Jutland?

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2021, 12:43:49 AM »

Wow.

😂🤣😂🤣

Thanks Cheshire.

Are there any people in North Jutland?
589,148 in 2018
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Returning players