PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Returning players
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Returning players  (Read 11966 times)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Returning players
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 09:53:59 PM »

There must be loan players we’ve had that have gone back to parent clubs and then signed for us. Ceesay for one.
And Piggott for another.

There have also been players who have played in a match as pre-season triallists, but didn't actually sign until some  years later. I can think of Jake Moult, and, less successfully, Michael Twiss and Michael Rankine.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 10:23:05 PM »

Frank Carrodus anyone?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 10:32:10 PM »

Frank Carrodus must have the longest gap  of anyone between his two spells at the club, (EDIT) although Ian Senior could rival that, between the first two of his three spells.

Steve Haw and Don Page were both players who had two spells at the club in the eighties and early nineties playing more regularly in the second, although Don Page may not count for this question as he was on loan from Wigan Athletic the second time round.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:38:58 PM by Sale Holmfield »

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 01:14:18 AM »

Didn't Keith Russell come on loan from Blackpool before returning to sign permanently?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

andy

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 08:58:37 AM »

Robbie Williams was an Alty player throughout 2009/10 before spending 2010/11 at Telford and returning to offer his lotta love and affection for the 2011/12 season.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 09:08:37 AM »

Did Peter Band have 2 spells?

Martin

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 09:51:26 AM »

Didn't Sam Heathcote leave as a defender and come back as a striker?

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 04:51:07 PM »

I never cease to be amazed and impressed by the knowledge of Alty fans.

Another lovely thread

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 09:18:33 PM »

Like the Second Coming, I'm still waiting for the return to Alty of Ian Tunnacliffe...

I feel your pain sir, it is only a cult but what a remarkable man we both follow and only dream of his great return
FFS

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2021, 09:41:11 PM »

Like the Second Coming, I'm still waiting for the return to Alty of Ian Tunnacliffe...

I feel your pain sir, it is only a cult but what a remarkable man we both follow and only dream of his great return

You can still hope, as he has made returns before. After he left us, he returned to Emley.

Three of us did go to an Emley game at Leek Town where he wasn't involved, Asking some Emley supporters, they said he was injured, but would be around soon, as he had just gone for a pie. On his return he came over and  we had a very pleasant chat, in the course of which he asked if we knew the whereabouts of one his former Altrincham teammates, as he  owed Tunna some money.

I don't know if that debt was ever paid, but a while later, around 1999, at a guess, I did get to see him play, when he had returned to another of his former clubs, Storthes Hall, in the West Riding County Amateur League. I can remember him loudly berating his teammates if a pass to him wasn't inch perfect. As you can appreciate, a player of his calibre would demand the very highest of standards.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2021, 10:56:04 PM »

Sass-Davies has had 2 loan moves to us.

id have him permanent in a flash
Full time and proud of it

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2021, 12:56:51 PM »

You can still hope, as he has made returns before. After he left us, he returned to Emley.

Three of us did go to an Emley game at Leek Town where he wasn't involved, Asking some Emley supporters, they said he was injured, but would be around soon, as he had just gone for a pie. On his return he came over and  we had a very pleasant chat, in the course of which he asked if we knew the whereabouts of one his former Altrincham teammates, as he  owed Tunna some money.

I don't know if that debt was ever paid, but a while later, around 1999, at a guess, I did get to see him play, when he had returned to another of his former clubs, Storthes Hall, in the West Riding County Amateur League. I can remember him loudly berating his teammates if a pass to him wasn't inch perfect. As you can appreciate, a player of his calibre would demand the very highest of standards.

The James Brown of Non League football.

Marvellous anecdotes.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2021, 02:33:39 PM »

Love these posts... but over the years the memory plays tricks... here's a few names who played in two spells...

'Hagar the Horrible' aka Andy Reid played for Alty over two spells between about 1990 - 97 (bar think one season at Bury in abt 93)...

'Corkie' aka Dave Carrick played for Alty couple seasons in late 1960s (before left for several yrs to play for likes of Witton, Staylevegas, Rochdale), before returned for for think 1976 Alty season...

Also recall mate telling me about Neil Dewar.... played 4or5 seasons at end of 1950s (before went staylevegas start of 60s), then back to Alty mid 60s for further 4or5 seasons...

Keepers must have also feature a few times...

Eg Alex Stepney in 1980 played on loan from Dallas team in US season break for big part of one Alty season & returned couple years later (think 1982) for one off game to help club towards end of season when backlog of games (played v Northwich) - his last ever game...

Also Ian Senior - think played for Alty during 3or4 spells during long career with multiple clubs...

Even recently Elliott Wynne signed a few yrs ago & played few games before let go to Farsley before we re-signed as cover - though dont think played during 2nd spell...

Must be others, but the memory fades with time...
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2021, 04:56:10 PM »

Nicky Clee came back after half a season at Guiseley

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2021, 06:40:27 PM »

Sass-Davies has had 2 loan moves to us.

id have him permanent in a flash

Same - appears he might be out of contract too. Yeovil would surely now be favourites for his signature if he were to move on, he's played well for them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Returning players