PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stockport  (Read 4944 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Stockport
« on: March 06, 2021, 07:14:30 PM »

I must say I'm utterly bemused how - no sooner had they seemingly got themselves sorted and heading in the right direction, they've adopted a silly business model - and a youth coach that's out of his depth.

I worry they might be a bit more sensible with their managerial appointment next time and look closer to home, but I think Parky would do well to swerve whatever setup they seem to have there at the moment.

It'll be interesting to see who ends up on their released list this season too. Can't see them going up now.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Stockport
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 07:38:01 PM »

Gannon to go back if they dont go up ?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 07:49:37 PM »

Only if the owners sell up which is unlikely.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 09:27:31 PM »

Piss funny init
Full time and proud of it

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 10:20:56 PM »

I stil think they will make the playoffs

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 10:28:24 PM »

Piss funny init

They aren't supposed to be our rivals, but I personally love seeing them lose.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 11:05:09 PM »

Piss funny init

They aren't supposed to be our rivals, but I personally love seeing them lose.

Nothing against them personally. Think they'll end up being ok at the end of the season.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 01:45:23 PM »

Nothing against County but I'd prefer them to miss out on promotion purely from the selfish point of view that a Boxing Day or New Year's Day home fixture against them next season would generate another windfall for us.   

Torquay and Sutton to be promoted would suit me fine (in particular, I don't want to be deprived of the opportunity to visit Meadow Lane in order to watch Alty play a league fixture there).

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 02:19:13 PM »

Most of their fans like or dont mind us same  the other way round.It probably helps that unlike Macc we havent  as far as I know  got any idiot fans  who would have a pop at them at games  unlike Macc .

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 04:46:13 PM »

I think Stockport should be in the football league but I agree that having them in our league makes for a good Christmas /  New Year fixture.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 06:05:17 PM »

I think Stockport should be in the football league but I agree that having them in our league makes for a good Christmas /  New Year fixture.

My thoughts exactly.

I will say that given that they are a very big club at this level, I am pleased by how little there is of a BBB attitude towards us. I don't think they see us as rivals but that's fine by me as we don't have much of a 'history'.
I wish them well (except when they play us! 😉)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 07:43:37 PM »

As we all know, despite their history, Stockport and the rest of the "big" clubs in this league have no god-given right to be in the FL; without Gannon at the helm they may well be present at this level a fair bit longer.

We have all seen many smaller, better organised outfits go on to be established FL clubs at the expense of these giants... I'm sure I'm not on my own in hoping we could be one of the next!

On another note, if we are in agreement that County are not a rival, then who do we have? All of our past rivals have fallen by the wayside, will we ever have one again?

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 07:46:11 PM »

As we all know, despite their history, Stockport and the rest of the "big" clubs in this league have no god-given right to be in the FL; without Gannon at the helm they may well be present at this level a fair bit longer.

We have all seen many smaller, better organised outfits go on to be established FL clubs at the expense of these giants... I'm sure I'm not on my own in hoping we could be one of the next!

On another note, if we are in agreement that County are not a rival, then who do we have? All of our past rivals have fallen by the wayside, will we ever have one again?

Chester have been the obvious ones in more recent times. Shared train line and quite a bit of aggro at the games.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 08:35:00 PM »

The way they're going, it could be Wigan Athletic again soon! 😂😂

PS. If the fate of nearly all of our ex rivals isn't a warning from the Almighty not to be a rival to Alty, I don't know what is! 😉
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 08:37:53 PM by Saughall Robin »

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 09:35:15 PM »

The way they're going, it could be Wigan Athletic again soon! 😂😂

PS. If the fate of nearly all of our ex rivals isn't a warning from the Almighty not to be a rival to Alty, I don't know what is! 😉

Love it!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport