PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Aldershot Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Aldershot Match Thread  (Read 10305 times)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Aldershot Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2021, 05:29:41 PM »

Deserved a point for the 2nd half performance.

Thought Moult and Ceesay we're well below the required level. As for Peers, I just don't get what PP sees in him.

Kosylo was a massive miss.

Can't see us turning this dismal form round unless a) sign a proven goal scoring striker or b) abandon the 1 up top formation
Full time and proud of it

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2021, 05:35:13 PM »

Frustrating to lose at the death like that given we had plenty of chances in the second half.
Other than that, I think I'll wait until tomorrow before commenting further apart from saying that I don't think we're too far off.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2021, 05:46:04 PM »

I feel if we don’t make top half (at least) it won’t reflect the effort the team have put into the season. Aldershot grabbed the three points at the death because they had a striker doing what strikers do.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2021, 05:50:51 PM »

The ball should have been cut out well before Ogle was caught on his heels - a gust of wind had caught the ball and blown it halfway down the touchline, and all we seemed to do was back off even quicker rather than just simply attacking it.

Yet another soft goal to concede.

All of our quality moments came through Colclough - but he can't do it all on his own.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2021, 05:57:19 PM »

The ball should have been cut out well before Ogle was caught on his heels - a gust of wind had caught the ball and blown it halfway down the touchline, and all we seemed to do was back off even quicker rather than just simply attacking it.

Yet another soft goal to concede.

All of our quality moments came through Colclough - but he can't do it all on his own.

Got to agree with that. It was a 10 second lapse of concentration by Ogle but the move should have been snuffed out earlier.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2021, 07:04:36 PM »

I know its been mentioned numerous times, and I get that the lad doesn't want to play there - but surely Hancock up front has got to be the best short term option?

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2021, 07:36:42 PM »

We would have won that game if we had a single striker who looked better than North West Counties League standard.

Their rookie keeper reminded me of Andrew Dawber, yet we didn't put him under the sort of pressure that might have found him out. Yes, he did make one crucial save from Colclough, but apart from that he looked distinctly iffy. Put simply, our attack couldn't kick their way out of a paper bag.

Let's be honest - this season is dead in the water as far as we're concerned. We're not quite good enough to think of the playoffs, but nowhere near poor enough to be relegated (Dover will be departing, trust me, and only two will be going down in 2021-2). That gives us 4-5 months to solve the problem that has surely been obvious to every one of us from the moment Jordan Hulme did a runner.

No disrespect to Joe Pigott, who's probably the best of a mediocre lot, but during that time we absolutely MUST sign a goal scorer with proven experience at this level or (preferably) higher. If we don't, I can see no prospect of progress.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2021, 08:01:05 PM »

We would have won that game if we had a single striker who looked better than North West Counties League standard.

Their rookie keeper reminded me of Andrew Dawber, yet we didn't put him under the sort of pressure that might have found him out. Yes, he did make one crucial save from Colclough, but apart from that he looked distinctly iffy. Put simply, our attack couldn't kick their way out of a paper bag.

Let's be honest - this season is dead in the water as far as we're concerned. We're not quite good enough to think of the playoffs, but nowhere near poor enough to be relegated (Dover will be departing, trust me, and only two will be going down in 2021-2). That gives us 4-5 months to solve the problem that has surely been obvious to every one of us from the moment Jordan Hulme did a runner.

No disrespect to Joe Pigott, who's probably the best of a mediocre lot, but during that time we absolutely MUST sign a goal scorer with proven experience at this level or (preferably) higher. If we don't, I can see no prospect of progress.

This is why I decided not to comment until I've had a chance to 'breathe'.

As I've said (along with many others) it's pointless to keep banging on. PP and co know what we need as well as we do. If it was possible to do something, I'm positive they would.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2021, 08:28:18 PM »

To be honest, looking at all the streams I'm comfortable with us not making the playoffs this season.

Our ground is below average for the national league, never mind the football league. No slur on the board intended. I'm aware of the plans.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2021, 08:52:55 PM »

Frustrating as game was winable... we deserved at least a draw, especially after 2nd half display... should have done better against young keeper on his league debut... been said before, but need to find someone to convert chances we create... though i'm sure Parky knows this but it must be hard finding a 20plus goalscorer midseason as most/all decent ones will be under contract at other clubs already...

Think Piggott is probably more for next season as this season needs to get matchfit - if gets matchfit he could potentially solve the 'problem'... in Parky's defence we have tried several options, most not worked out or in Gibson case injured... hopefully we can find a loanee striker for rest of season & tackle issue with acquisition over summer break...

If we had won today we would have gone into playoff spots, but being realistic midtable is probably a fair reflexion until we solve the striker issue... we're still on course for a midtable finish & potentially 50 point target which is good... need to build on this (and several good results against top teams we've had) and look forward to next season playoff push - if we find a striker!
Keep the faith...  Parky & the Board will get it right... COYR!
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2021, 09:10:21 PM »

It's dead frustrating we've not seen Gibson and Hancock play together yet
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Aldershot Match Thread