PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dagenham Match Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dagenham Match Thread  (Read 16898 times)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Dagenham Match Thread
« on: March 18, 2021, 09:16:12 AM »

2 massive games this week. Clearly the board and management aren't going to let the season fizzle out. Think all players are playing for next season retention/permanent deal.

Assuming Densmore, Fis and Mooney are unavailable due to knocks.

Thompson

Senior    Zuma    Hannigan   Ogle

Smith   Moult

Hardy       Hancock    Colclough

Bell

Subs  Malarkey,  Hampson, Williams, Ceesay, Piggott.

Alty 2-1 D&G (Bell, Hardy)
Full time and proud of it

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dagenham Match Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 09:21:53 AM »

2 massive games this week. Clearly the board and management aren't going to let the season fizzle out. Think all players are playing for next season retention/permanent deal.

Thompson

Smith   Moult

Bell

I'll take the result, team could be as you say. Pitch was used last night I noticed by MUFC so I guess will be OK for Saturday

Strong summer needed

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 09:26:46 AM »

2-1 alty (Adarabioyo & Hardy)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 11:25:39 AM »

Thompson

Smith   Moult

Bell

Be interesting to see if Zouma keeps his place after that... interesting half he had the other evening.

Possibly Ceesay starting over Hardy? - although I would like to see the latter given some more game time.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »

So is Sutton one of the walking wounded or has he just drifted out of contention?
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to keep up.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 12:12:24 PM »

No doubt Zouma was a car crash of a first half on Tuesday but had been top notch previously.

Sutton got sent to wasteland (as did White) after the bromley game

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 01:24:42 PM »

I think couple of selection issues to be decided... Ogle or Connor at LB... Zouma or Mullarkey at CB (with Hannigan)... Smith if fit or Williams... Hardy or Ceesay on wing (replacing suspended Kosylo)... Bell or Piggott up front...

I think Team will be...

TT
Senior   Zouma   Hannigan   Ogle
                 Moult   Smith
    Ceesay   Hancock   Colclough
                         Bell

Subs: Mullarky, Connor, Williams, Hardy, Piggott

Predict: Alty win 3-1 (Hancock, Hannigan, Bell)... COYR!
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 02:14:06 PM »

No doubt Zouma was a car crash of a first half on Tuesday but had been top notch previously.

Sutton got sent to wasteland (as did White) after the bromley game

I do feel sorry for both of them, neither have been particularly poor by any stretch of the imagination.

But then again, we don't see what goes on in training, etc etc

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 07:55:25 AM »

What is a little concerning for me is if Robinstockport's team selection proves to be correct then there's only 4 of the promotion team actually starting against Dagenham. Granted some are on the bench and nothing lasts for ever however it seems like a revolution rather than an evolution. Difficult to keep up! SBL

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 09:39:50 AM »

What is a little concerning for me is if Robinstockport's team selection proves to be correct then there's only 4 of the promotion team actually starting against Dagenham. Granted some are on the bench and nothing lasts for ever however it seems like a revolution rather than an evolution. Difficult to keep up! SBL

Interesting stat SBL.

Do think that it's only White and Richman who have been 'cast aside' thou

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 09:52:56 AM »

Teams evolve though, they cannot stand still. The nucleus of the squad is still with us. I remember the great team which Kingy captained until his knee injury. We stuck with that team bar 1 or 2 changes for 5 years. Eventually in 1982, their bubble burst and Tony Saunders resigned if I remember rightly. I felt that team was left for too long and lost a little of it's winning mentality. Changes with new players keeps others on their toes, and the team fresh and up for challenges. A lot of the squad have won titles etc, but you still need to battle at higher levels and the team evolves or it will lose it's hunger to win trophies.

The management team and board I feel are doing this exactly right, still think they need to extend the management contract though, give Phil and the team a little more time, we are getting there.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 11:54:16 AM »

Teams evolve though, they cannot stand still. The nucleus of the squad is still with us. I remember the great team which Kingy captained until his knee injury. We stuck with that team bar 1 or 2 changes for 5 years. Eventually in 1982, their bubble burst and Tony Saunders resigned if I remember rightly. I felt that team was left for too long and lost a little of it's winning mentality. Changes with new players keeps others on their toes, and the team fresh and up for challenges. A lot of the squad have won titles etc, but you still need to battle at higher levels and the team evolves or it will lose it's hunger to win trophies.

The management team and board I feel are doing this exactly right, still think they need to extend the management contract though, give Phil and the team a little more time, we are getting there.

Tony Sanders did resign, and to my shame I recall shouting "Sanders Out" when I stood on the old terrace to the left of the Main Stand as you face it. My only defence was I was nobbut a boy who knew not what he was doing.

Tony Sanders. Club Legend.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 05:26:10 PM »

Tony Sanders did resign, and to my shame I recall shouting "Sanders Out" when I stood on the old terrace to the left of the Main Stand as you face it. My only defence was I was nobbut a boy who knew not what he was doing.

Tony Sanders. Club Legend.

Tony Sanders resigned after the 2-0 FA Trophy First Round defeat against Kidderminster Harriers at Moss Lane on Saturday, 14th January 1984.

In truth, it didn't come as any great surprise. The spark had gone.

Plus John King was impressing at South Liverpool in his first managerial role and, therefore, the natural successor was manifestly apparent.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 08:10:09 PM »

If you look at that Tony Sanders managed team from his arrival to us reaching the pinnacle, the evolution was not dissimilar to what we are seeing today.

You had mainstays like Ivan Crossley and Mickey Brooke becoming squad players - but still playing an important role (Brookes goal at Droylsden taking us to White Hart Lane for example); you had a raising of the bar seeing upgrades from (eg) Mickey Moore to John Rogers, and a falling by the wayside of the (eg) Joe Flaherty's of this world.  You even saw the odd big name signing coming in and failing to make an impact (Tony Webber as example)

And the main thrust was strengthen the squad each year - Johnson and Webber in 76/7; Rogers, Bailey and King in 77/8; Barry Howard in 78/9; Graham Barrow and Barry Whitbread in 79/80.  And we ended up with a squad that had replaced (eg) Alan Heathcote with Graham Barrow

The arrival of Ceesay, Mooney, Senior, Colclough, Kosylo and Smith (the new Graham Barrow) is part of the same dynamic.

Coincidentally, the board is expanding to a similar size as it was in the late 70's - ambitious young dynamic business leaders (and me!)

The root cause of the demise from 80/1 onwards was that we felt we had to give the team that missed out on FL another go, and their momentum carried them to a second title.  Unfortunately they all reached the end of their career at the same time (albeit at Wembley).  We should perhaps have wielded the axe in 1980 and given new talent time to grow

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 08:58:49 PM »

If you look at that Tony Sanders managed team from his arrival to us reaching the pinnacle, the evolution was not dissimilar to what we are seeing today.

You had mainstays like Ivan Crossley and Mickey Brooke becoming squad players - but still playing an important role (Brookes goal at Droylsden taking us to White Hart Lane for example); you had a raising of the bar seeing upgrades from (eg) Mickey Moore to John Rogers, and a falling by the wayside of the (eg) Joe Flaherty's of this world.  You even saw the odd big name signing coming in and failing to make an impact (Tony Webber as example)

And the main thrust was strengthen the squad each year - Johnson and Webber in 76/7; Rogers, Bailey and King in 77/8; Barry Howard in 78/9; Graham Barrow and Barry Whitbread in 79/80.  And we ended up with a squad that had replaced (eg) Alan Heathcote with Graham Barrow

The arrival of Ceesay, Mooney, Senior, Colclough, Kosylo and Smith (the new Graham Barrow) is part of the same dynamic.

Coincidentally, the board is expanding to a similar size as it was in the late 70's - ambitious young dynamic business leaders (and me!)

The root cause of the demise from 80/1 onwards was that we felt we had to give the team that missed out on FL another go, and their momentum carried them to a second title.  Unfortunately they all reached the end of their career at the same time (albeit at Wembley).  We should perhaps have wielded the axe in 1980 and given new talent time to grow

Excellent summing up of a great time to be an Alty fan, then and now. The 80/81 side won the title, the league cup and made the 3rd round of the FA Cup (against Liverpool) but they didn't have quite the dominance over opposition sides they'd enjoyed the previous season and there were a few backs to the wall performances where we ground out wins. Losing Graham Barrow at the start of 81/82 was a huge blow and we knew early on that season that the team was past its best - even so, we made it to Wembley in the Trophy and the 3rd round of the FA Cup. If we'd won the Trophy in 82 it may have papered over the growing cracks and done us more harm than good in the long run. The club and current team is sensibly evolving and inevitably certain players will have reached their level having done their bit for Alty.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dagenham Match Thread