PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dagenham Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dagenham Match Thread  (Read 16835 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dagenham Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2021, 01:29:37 PM »

You surprise me. I find the JL site interesting and informative about not only Alty but teams around the league too. Always worth a daily glance.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2021, 01:56:02 PM »

You surprise me. I find the JL site interesting and informative about not only Alty but teams around the league too. Always worth a daily glance.

I always felt if the club were to do a new website, JLs wealth of information would be much better formatted, such as a weekly round up or similar to BBC on deadline day as a live blog.

That way I can find alty news when vital but check in on JLs wealth of NL knowledge.
It's all my fault.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2021, 01:57:53 PM »

I just don't look at JL's site instead of the official one. They are totally different in role and format and I much prefer the new site as it's more modern and does what I think an official site should do.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2021, 02:21:55 PM »

I just don't look at JL's site instead of the official one. They are totally different in role and format and I much prefer the new site as it's more modern and does what I think an official site should do.

I see. We seem to have a misunderstanding here, sorry.
I too use both sites. I just find the JL site more wide ranging.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2021, 02:39:47 PM »

Must admit i use both Alty official website & JL's old Alty website (now called Alty Files), plus Alty twitter & this forum for most of my Alty news... each have their benefits...

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/news.htm

https://mobile.twitter.com/altrinchamfc?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I also get most up-to-date non-lge news via Ollie Bayliss twitter feed which is usually on the ball re all non-lge events, plus weekend Non-League Paper & it's twitter account also...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss

https://mobile.twitter.com/NonLeaguePaper?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Enjoy checking on all things Alty & also main Non-Lge News.

COYR!
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2021, 05:25:12 PM »

Always have a daily read and check of the JL site for all my Altrincham FC news and non leaguec news in general. Take a look at the official site when reminded to do so by this forum
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2021, 05:53:17 PM »

If you look at that Tony Sanders managed team from his arrival to us reaching the pinnacle, the evolution was not dissimilar to what we are seeing today.

You had mainstays like Ivan Crossley and Mickey Brooke becoming squad players - but still playing an important role (Brookes goal at Droylsden taking us to White Hart Lane for example); you had a raising of the bar seeing upgrades from (eg) Mickey Moore to John Rogers, and a falling by the wayside of the (eg) Joe Flaherty's of this world.  You even saw the odd big name signing coming in and failing to make an impact (Tony Webber as example)

And the main thrust was strengthen the squad each year - Johnson and Webber in 76/7; Rogers, Bailey and King in 77/8; Barry Howard in 78/9; Graham Barrow and Barry Whitbread in 79/80.  And we ended up with a squad that had replaced (eg) Alan Heathcote with Graham Barrow

The arrival of Ceesay, Mooney, Senior, Colclough, Kosylo and Smith (the new Graham Barrow) is part of the same dynamic.

Coincidentally, the board is expanding to a similar size as it was in the late 70's - ambitious young dynamic business leaders (and me!)

The root cause of the demise from 80/1 onwards was that we felt we had to give the team that missed out on FL another go, and their momentum carried them to a second title.  Unfortunately they all reached the end of their career at the same time (albeit at Wembley). 

We should perhaps have wielded the axe in 1980 and given new talent time to grow

Bill,

I think that you've gone a trifle early there!

Plus the likes of Jeff Johnson and John Davison, in particular, still had a few good years left in the tank.

If we had done that, we would have missed out on experiencing the most successful season (1980/81) in the club's history: an Alliance Premier League & Cup double plus an FA Cup Third Round tie against Liverpool at Anfield (not to mention two thrilling encounters with Cammell Laird in the Cheshire Senior Cup)!

The sucker punch to the club comprised the results of the 1981 Football League AGM Re-election Vote:

Tranmere Rovers    FL    48 re-elected to Division Four
York City          FL    46 re-elected to Division Four
Hereford United    FL    46 re-elected to Division Four
Halifax Town       FL    41 re-elected to Division Four
Altrincham         FC    15

At which juncture, I think that it became blindingly apparent that we were never going to be invited to become a member of that private club, regardless of our achievements on the pitch.

The 1981/82 season saw Tony Sanders endeavour to evolve the team by blooding younger players such as Derek Goulding, Phil Gardner, John Cavanah and Nick Banner. however expectations were probably still set too high and it was difficult for these new recruits to be judged against the exploits of individuals who had become legends at Moss Lane.

Consequently, Tony Sanders' default ploy was to fall back on 'the old guard', who still had the ability to produce excellent one-off results but could no longer maintain their previous high levels of consistency and success.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 05:57:57 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2021, 05:59:26 PM »

Always have a daily read and check of the JL site for all my Altrincham FC news and non leaguec news in general. Take a look at the official site when reminded to do so by this forum

Yes. That's basically what I do.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2021, 07:04:32 PM »

If you look at that Tony Sanders managed team from his arrival to us reaching the pinnacle, the evolution was not dissimilar to what we are seeing today.

You had mainstays like Ivan Crossley and Mickey Brooke becoming squad players - but still playing an important role (Brookes goal at Droylsden taking us to White Hart Lane for example); you had a raising of the bar seeing upgrades from (eg) Mickey Moore to John Rogers, and a falling by the wayside of the (eg) Joe Flaherty's of this world.  You even saw the odd big name signing coming in and failing to make an impact (Tony Webber as example)

And the main thrust was strengthen the squad each year - Johnson and Webber in 76/7; Rogers, Bailey and King in 77/8; Barry Howard in 78/9; Graham Barrow and Barry Whitbread in 79/80.  And we ended up with a squad that had replaced (eg) Alan Heathcote with Graham Barrow

The arrival of Ceesay, Mooney, Senior, Colclough, Kosylo and Smith (the new Graham Barrow) is part of the same dynamic.

Coincidentally, the board is expanding to a similar size as it was in the late 70's - ambitious young dynamic business leaders (and me!)

The root cause of the demise from 80/1 onwards was that we felt we had to give the team that missed out on FL another go, and their momentum carried them to a second title.  Unfortunately they all reached the end of their career at the same time (albeit at Wembley). 

We should perhaps have wielded the axe in 1980 and given new talent time to grow

Bill,

Plus the likes of Jeff Johnson and John Davison, in particular, still had a few good years left in the tank.

If we had done that, we would have missed out on experiencing the most successful season (1980/81) in the club's history: an Alliance Premier League & Cup double plus an FA Cup Third Round tie against Liverpool at Anfield (not to mention two thrilling encounters with Cammell Laird in the Cheshire Senior Cup)!

The sucker punch to the club comprised the results of the 1981 Football League AGM Re-election Vote:

At which juncture, I think that it became blindingly apparent that we were never going to be invited to become a member of that private club, regardless of our achievements on the pitch.

The 1981/82 season saw Tony Sanders endeavour to evolve the team by blooding younger players such as Derek Goulding, Phil Gardner, John Cavanah and Nick Banner. however expectations were probably still set too high and it was difficult for these new recruits to be judged against the exploits of individuals who had become legends at Moss Lane.

Consequently, Tony Sanders' default ploy was to fall back on 'the old guard', who still had the ability to produce excellent one-off results but could no longer maintain their previous high levels of consistency and success.

Bearing in mind how close we'd come the year before, coupled with the excellent season we had in 1980/81, it really surprises me how few votes we received the second time round. From missing out by one vote to, basically, nowhere at all. We truly were robbed!
Come on Alty!

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2021, 07:31:26 PM »

Bill,

Bearing in mind how close we'd come the year before, coupled with the excellent season we had in 1980/81, it really surprises me how few votes we received the second time round. From missing out by one vote to, basically, nowhere at all. We truly were robbed!

Yes, the voting seemed to be based on how moribund the club at the bottom of Division 4 was, rather than how good their potential replacements were, so Halifax Town survived much more comfortably than Rochdale, even though we had an even better season.
Ironically, Halifax Town were later to fold while Rochdale (eventually) moved upwards.

This match thread seems to cover a lot of territory, I must say.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2021, 01:57:12 AM »

Peers for Ceesay was an awful sub. Ceesay was a threat and was coming into the game.

How is Peers getting minutes over Hardy? it is utterly bizarre. Feel tight but Peers is not to the standard, 95% of the fans can even see it each week.

A lot weaker without the drive of Kossy and Smith.

Richman had a great game. I have not been that impressed with Ogle, good debut but would have Connor over him all day long.

As someone mentioned, silly challenge by Hannigan. Just had to close the player down without committing himself

I think when we get Piggott fully fit, likely to be next season, he will do well. We really need someone to get on the end of Colclough's crosses.

Disappointing today.

Yes, Peers who set up a goal against Woking and then scored a "goal"  against Hartlepool, albeit caught off-side by a well-drilled Hartlepool defence (the third best away from home).

My reading is he has a knack of unsettling tight defences (he came close to giving us our first win at Edgely Park), though admittedly he didn't get much of a look in against Dagenham (and redbridge. and leytonstone. and barking. mad.). I suspect the 2 recent trips to Surrey, and the big losses of the creativity provided by Smith and Kosylo were factors in our lack of edge in the closing stages.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:19:43 AM by Hugh »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dagenham Match Thread