PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Scoring directly from a corner
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scoring directly from a corner  (Read 6136 times)

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Scoring directly from a corner
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 06:39:14 PM »

Re. Stuart Coburn v Runcorn, my recollection was that it was a freekick from our own half which bounced and aided by the wind looped over their keeper into the net. My other recollection of this game was that Stuart also saved a penalty!?

Yes he scored and saved a pen that day!

Sending us to the top of the league, if I recall. It was a freak goal, also aided by the extraordinary slope on the pitch.
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2021, 06:42:04 PM »

I'm sure Paul 'Co-Co' Robertson scored an crucial equaliser vs Hyde in the NPL championship winning side in a 2-1 win over Hyde? Ricky 2 weeks Harris getting the last gasp
winner.

John,

Your recollection is confirmed by the following excerpt from the match report by Alan Johnson that appears in Grahame & Terry Rowley's publication: Altrincham Football Club: The Unibond Years:

Easter Saturday, 3rd April 1999

Unibond League Premier Division

Altrincham 2  Hyde United 1

"On 47 minutes Paul Ellender gave away a free kick just outside the box and a delightful chip from Richard Annan went over the wall and gave Stuart Coburn no chance.

Two minutes later, Alty won a corner (at the Chequers End) and Paul Robertson's kick beat the keeper and went through a mass of players straight into the net. 1-1."

I still recall Ricky Harris joyfully tucking away an Andy Lovelock cross for the dramatic 88th-minute winning goal in that game but I confess that Paul Robertson's earlier feat had evaporated from my own memory banks.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2021, 08:45:52 PM »

Stuart Terry definitely scored from a corner at the Golf Road end, but cannot remember who it was against, and I think the wind at the time helped.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 03:50:17 AM »

Re. Stuart Coburn v Runcorn, my recollection was that it was a freekick from our own half which bounced and aided by the wind looped over their keeper into the net. My other recollection of this game was that Stuart also saved a penalty!?

Yes he scored and saved a pen that day!

Sending us to the top of the league, if I recall. It was a freak goal, also aided by the extraordinary slope on the pitch.

A funny thing, twice I've been at a match when a keeper scored, didn't see either of them properly. Runcorn - Stuart was taking a goal kick/freekick with the slope and possibly the wind. I took my eye of the gme, assuming I wouldn't missed much. Turns out he'd only gone and scored. And at Carlisle - Glass - bizarrely I saw an Alty fan who knew me - I forget who - a scramble at the far end, someone put it in, most of the home end (who weren't too keen on Knighton) ran on the pitch - and I only found out it ws the keeper when I got home.

A bit similar today in fact. TT was going to take a goal kick. TT! So I went ot get some milk - from the other side of the room - and we'd conceded before \i got back - I couldn't believe it!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Scoring directly from a corner