PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Scoring directly from a corner
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scoring directly from a corner  (Read 6138 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: March 28, 2021, 02:59:14 PM »

Not exactly a phenomenon that I can recollect witnessing that often during my five decades of supporting Alty.

After some dredging of the memory banks to try to recall the last Alty player to have performed the feat prior to Ryan Colclough's mesmerising pea roller yesterday, I had it in my head that James Lawrie may well have been that man, having benefitted from some extremely dodgy goalkeeping at the Golf Road End.

This may well have been the incident (description courtesy of John Laidlar's match report):

ALTRINCHAM (1) 2 KIDDERMINSTER HARRIERS (1) 2
Vanarama National League
Tuesday, 13th October 2015

Altrincham had taken a 21st minute lead when Lawrie's corner from the right curled directly into the bottom near corner of the net.

For Alty, a Lawrie cross won a corner on the right. This was cleared back to Lawrie who fed O'Keefe and his shot prompted a good save at the cost of another corner on Alty's right. From this, Lawrie scored directly with a left footed inswinger which crept in near the base of the near post (21 mins). 

Going further back, an alternative candidate had been Chris Sharratt on a windy afternoon at Telford United.

A consultation of Mark Harris' splendid publication Kingdom Come duly revealed the following:

"New boy Sharratt made an immediate impact, scoring in his two opening games for Alty - both direct from corners!"

These comprised a 2-1 defeat against Southport on Easter Saturday, 2nd April 1994 and a 2-0 victory at Telford United on Easter Monday, 4th April 1994.

So, do any other examples of a Robins player scoring directly from a corner spring to mind?

Is it something that, say, Graham Heathcote may have accomplished?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Scoring directly from a corner
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 03:08:29 PM »

Didn't John McMahon score direct from a corner in an opening day win against Barnet in c1989? Wayne Entwistle scored the winner in that game. I think there's video footage of that game on Facebook etc.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 03:21:30 PM »

I'm sure Paul 'Co-Co' Robertson scored an crucial equaliser vs Hyde in the NPL championship winning side in a 2-1 win over Hyde? Ricky 2 weeks Harris getting the last gasp winner.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 03:35:19 PM »

Going slightly off-piste, does my memory deceive me or has Stuart Coburn scored for us too?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 03:43:25 PM »

Going slightly off-piste, does my memory deceive me or has Stuart Coburn scored for us too?
would have been wonderful if it would have been from a corner too 😂

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 04:03:10 PM »

A different answer to the question posed by Cult:

I saw Barry Howard score direct from a corner for Runcorn against Peter Eales in the 1-1 draw at Canal Street on 14th November 1977.  Tony Webber on target for Alty.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 04:09:24 PM »

Tony Kelly used to eat pies whilst taking a corner ;D ;D
@AltyDaz

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 04:19:32 PM »

Just checked. Runcorn away, Boxing day, 1998. 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 04:25:17 PM »

Pretty sure Ian Morris did in the late 70s, away at Matlock?

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 04:25:24 PM »

Chris Sharratt definitely did it, possibly more than once. I’ve got a 1-2 home defeat vs Southport & a 3-0 win at Telford in the mid 90s in my head.

Note to self-always read to the end of the first post before posting.

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 05:23:41 PM »

I can confirm Chris Sharret did score at Telfords old ground as it was the last place i got into a ground as a minor i think i was 19 and leathered, I was also at runcorn when stu coburn scored and i think concorde flew over as well but my memory might be wrong as i was leathered again.
FFS

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 08:06:30 PM »

Didn't John McMahon score direct from a corner in an opening day win against Barnet in c1989? Wayne Entwistle scored the winner in that game. I think there's video footage of that game on Facebook etc.

With thanks to Ballers for providing the link, here's the John McMahon goal against Barnet on 26th August 1989 (watch out for a couple of glimpses of Phil Taylor/AltyTunnelSteward resplendent in his flat cap as the two dismissed Barnet players (one of whom looks like Edwin Stein) head off down the tunnel for an early bath):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l8IXUUVAxU
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 08:24:22 PM »

Re. Stuart Coburn v Runcorn, my recollection was that it was a freekick from our own half which bounced and aided by the wind looped over their keeper into the net. My other recollection of this game was that Stuart also saved a penalty!?

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 09:13:30 PM »

With thanks to Ballers for providing the link, here's the John McMahon goal against Barnet on 26th August 1989 (watch out for a couple of glimpses of Phil Taylor/AltyTunnelSteward resplendent in his flat cap as the two dismissed Barnet players (one of whom looks like Edwin Stein) head off down the tunnel for an early bath):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l8IXUUVAxU

Short shorts.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 11:45:59 PM »

Re. Stuart Coburn v Runcorn, my recollection was that it was a freekick from our own half which bounced and aided by the wind looped over their keeper into the net. My other recollection of this game was that Stuart also saved a penalty!?

Yes he scored and saved a pen that day!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team