Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Yes, it really is the 30th anniversary of this joyous match...
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Yes, it really is the 30th anniversary of this joyous match...  (Read 8027 times)

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Yes, it really is the 30th anniversary of this joyous match...
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 10:36:10 PM »

Should we have played Crewe in an FA Cup tie on Sky ? only for it to be postponed because Neil Lennon was on international duty ?

Maybe my medication is wearing off, maybe ?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 11:08:45 PM »

Should we have played Crewe in an FA Cup tie on Sky ? only for it to be postponed because Neil Lennon was on international duty ?

I am pretty sure I remember that game in 1995 being postponed because of international callups, although I am unsure if it was originally scheduled for TV or not.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 07:05:26 AM »

I am pretty sure I remember that game in 1995 being postponed because of international callups, although I am unsure if it was originally scheduled for TV or not.

It was scheduled for tv, it was called off due to Neil Lennon being on international duty.

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2021, 10:42:30 AM »

Did we appear on the ill-fated Wire TV cable channel back in the 90's? I seem to recall a home match against Stalybridge, but then again I have a memory like a sieve.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2021, 04:20:23 PM »

Did we appear on the ill-fated Wire TV cable channel back in the 90's? I seem to recall a home match against Stalybridge, but then again I have a memory like a sieve.
Yes, there was a thread about it a few months ago - either on here or Facebook, can't recall which.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2021, 04:45:16 PM »

The Crewe game was actually called off for 3 players being on international duty: Neil Lennon with Northern Ireland, and Rob Edwards and Robbie Savage with Wales

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2021, 06:28:34 PM »

27th September 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCL-itM5sJg
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2021, 07:51:48 PM »

27th September 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCL-itM5sJg
That's brilliant - thanks. Some familiar faces in the ground (some sadly no longer with us) but that Andy Green stare really takes you back.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 03:01:18 AM »

I remember it so well, memorable game, team and season especially Paul Showler until it fell apart at the end. Crowd was 4100.
never knew at the time, as a narrow defeat at Barrow that ended our 28 game run seemed predictable,.. but the reason we didn't go up was a n other.

4501. But they had to pretend it was something else. Ecky said he knew every word of the commentary... The flash lad (Rowlo?) with his mobile phone... stood in corner between grass Bank and GR end, Tom Majinski (fellow Ambrosian and later star of HBU) controlled a wayward ball on his thigh - killed it dead, I think I can just about pick out the moment on the video - he was a class above me really... Never saw it again until Rowley made a dvd specially. I think Barnet spent 80,000 pounds on new players near the end of the season, including carter from runcorn - how much is that in today's money... Don't forget we played a strong team in the csc and started in the 1st qualifying round of the fa cup in those days - 100% we were knackered - probably the same this season! We had to pretend the last gate of the season (Boston?) was more than it really was so the figures added up. Those really were the days. Oh yes they were - they really were! My first season as well. No wonder I stuck it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 03:10:24 AM by Hugh »

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2021, 03:11:19 AM »

I remember it so well, memorable game, team and season especially Paul Showler until it fell apart at the end. Crowd was 4100.
never knew at the time, as a narrow defeat at Barrow that ended our 28 game run seemed predictable,.. but the reason we didn't go up was a n other.

4501. But they had to pretend it was something else. Ecky said he knew every word of the commentary... The flash lad (Rowlo?) with his mobile phone... I  stood in the corner between grass Bank and GR end, Tom Majinski (fellow Ambrosian and later star of HBU) controlled a wayward ball on his thigh - killed it dead, I think I can just about pick out the moment on the video - he was a class above me really... Never saw it again until Rowley made a dvd specially. I think Barnet spent 80,000 pounds on new players near the end of the season, including carter from runcorn - how much is that in today's money... Don't forget we played a strong team in the csc and started in the 1st qualifying round of the fa cup in those days - 100% we were knackered - probably the same this season! We had to pretend the last gate of the season (Boston?) was more than it really was so the figures added up. Those really were the days. Oh yes they were - they really were! My first season as well. No wonder I stuck it.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2021, 03:16:30 AM »

The Crewe game was actually called off for 3 players being on international duty: Neil Lennon with Northern Ireland, and Rob Edwards and Robbie Savage with Wales

Robbie Savage? Wow, one of my favourite players, and i have no memory of it! Eat My Sports was probably my favourite - Angus Loughran, Alfreton Town (before they went big time), Ricky Harris - what more could you want! Wayno will tell you about it! :) Wayno, I remember the Barnsley game, you said you knew you were getting old because you couldn't be bothered going on the pitch as it was muddy. I suppose you don't get asked for your age any more... old chap :) Northwich away was good as well, and the bargain booze on the way back to the station.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 03:20:35 AM by Hugh »
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Yes, it really is the 30th anniversary of this joyous match...