PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Kings Lynn AWAY Match Thread - EASTER MON
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Kings Lynn AWAY Match Thread - EASTER MON  (Read 13360 times)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Lynn AWAY Match Thread - EASTER MON
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2021, 04:16:29 PM »

I think it's clear to everyone that we're not going to be able to get a millennium-high end of season position unless we're very very lucky indeed.
But the main thing is that we've improved year on year and we'd have been more than happy with our present position. With a few exceptions we've been very competitive.
We all (including the management team) know where we need to improve but we've got to stay working within our means and trust PP and co to come through. I'm convinced they will
I believe everyone on here has the best interests of Alty at heart and I'm heartened that virtually all 'criticism' is well meant and constructive. I'd hate PP to read the forum and think we weren't behind him. We all are, and we need to recognise how great we're doing against some big outfits.
At the very least we'll finish highest of the four promoted teams and that's good in itself. To finish in the top half, which could still happen, was beyond my wildest dreams at the start of the season.

Come on you Supers!!!!

I think you're being a bit pessimistic there. If we can reach 52 points from our 42 games that would be our best return on ppg at this level since 1996. That's 11 points from the remaining nine games, seven of which are at home - still perfectly doable.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2021, 04:53:55 PM »

I hope you are right.
However seeing who the home games are against, mostly play off contenders, I think we'll be lucky.
Especially so without a goal scoring number nine and the likelihood of further injuries adding to the disruption.
By millennium high, I meant a finish in the top twelve.
We'll have to disagree but as I said, no one would be more pleased than me if I'm wrong!
For the moment, I'm still in there believing! 😉 (like you!) 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2021, 06:13:21 PM »

Our highest finish in the National League this millennium is 14th in 2009-10.  Which feels achievable.  Before that, 12th in 1995-6 which we could also realise.  Given the different number of clubs, games etc Leons PPG metric is worth evaluating as well.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2021, 09:13:31 PM »

So 13th instead of 12th. I'd happily settle for that!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2021, 08:48:30 AM »

It is always hard comparing different eras, whether old 1st Division to modern Premier Lge, or original Conference of lates 70s (or earlier periods) to today's National Lge top division... pitches, players diet, fitness, etc all play a part...

From a historical numerical point of view of record points or highest position etc even these are hard to judge as like for like when in the 'old days' it was 2pts for a win (not 3) and even league position debatable as over the years there have been different club numbers in each league so more/less teams competing with and also more/less points to play for...

Guess, in short, you cannot compare different eras BUT if we're going to try using statistical data then surely must compare via PPG (Points Per Game Tables)... we do have a great history!
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2021, 09:12:00 AM »

Yes. I was thinking that recently.
Remember when, for a couple of seasons, it was 2 points for a home win and 3 for an away win? We'd surely be a bit higher in the league given our good away results using that system!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2021, 05:44:46 AM »

I think it's clear to everyone that we're not going to be able to get a millennium-high end of season position unless we're very very lucky indeed.
But the main thing is that we've improved year on year and we'd have been more than happy with our present position. With a few exceptions we've been very competitive.
We all (including the management team) know where we need to improve but we've got to stay working within our means and trust PP and co to come through. I'm convinced they will
I believe everyone on here has the best interests of Alty at heart and I'm heartened that virtually all 'criticism' is well meant and constructive. I'd hate PP to read the forum and think we weren't behind him. We all are, and we need to recognise how great we're doing against some big outfits.

At the very least we'll finish highest of the four promoted teams and that's good in itself. To finish in the top half, which could still happen, was beyond my wildest dreams at the start of the season.

Come on you Supers!!!!

I think you're being a bit pessimistic there. If we can reach 52 points from our 42 games that would be our best return on ppg at this level since 1996. That's 11 points from the remaining nine games, seven of which are at home - still perfectly doable.
58 points in 2009-10 if you count the Chester games, equivalent to about 53 this season. Still, as far as I'm concerned, we've done very well, and I would have been happy just to stay up. And we can reasonably hope to improve next season!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Kings Lynn AWAY Match Thread - EASTER MON