Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Non Altrincham FC Talk
 "biggest victims of prolonged lockdowns are children in poor countries"...

Author Topic: "biggest victims of prolonged lockdowns are children in poor countries"...  (Read 3138 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

... - Ramesh Thakur, Spectator Australia.

I hope you're proud...

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Amongst the most vulnerable people on the globe. Quite how an estimated 2m Americans dying of covid would help the children of Chad I don't know.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Surely you've heard of the global economy? Billions of pounds out of the American or UK economy kill people in the third world just as surely as they kill people in britain and america. See my comments on Kenya. Among other things. In any case, Florida, which hasn't had severe restrictions, has not got more cv deaths than California, which locked down hard. Despite Florida having a  much larger eldery population. A worst case scenario might be 100,000 extra deaths with cv in the usa if they hadn't locked down (worst case mind you), and as there are expected to be 75,000 extra deaths from lockdowns in the UK (and that was last July), there would be far more people dying in the usa alone with lockdowns similar to the UK, plus the knock on effect to third world countries dependent on trade with western countries. For them, if the trade dries up, it's a matter of life and death. The UK has thrown hundreds of billions of pounds at  trying to control this bug, the usa probably far more. How much of that do you suppose they will get back?

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Surely you've heard of the global economy? Billions of pounds out of the American or UK economy kill people in the third world just as surely as they kill people in britain and america. See my comments on Kenya. Among other things. In any case, Florida, which hasn't had severe restrictions, has not got more cv deaths than California, which locked down hard. Despite Florida having a  much larger eldery population. A worst case scenario might be 100,000 extra deaths with cv in the usa if they hadn't locked down (worst case mind you), and as there are expected to be 75,000 extra deaths from lockdowns in the UK (and that was last July), there would be far more people dying in the usa alone with lockdowns similar to the UK, plus the knock on effect to third world countries dependent on trade with western countries. For them, if the trade dries up, it's a matter of life and death. The UK has thrown hundreds of billions of pounds at  trying to control this bug, the usa probably far more. How much of that do you suppose they will get back?

Yes the same global economy that for decades has left the children in poor nations vulnerable to world events be that war, illnesses, economic issues or just about anything else. It's a horrible state of affairs.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Certainly there have been problems with the global economy for some time. I don't believe we ever recovered from 2008 in a meaningful sense, and in the USA for example, increasing prosperity has not been seen since the 90's. I was worried about the economy anyway because of extraordinary financial measures in response to the financial crisis (QE etc.) which continue to this day, and I was also worried about financial pressures from the demographic crisis (of an ageing population. I would say that global free trade between countries (essentially, regulated capitalism) has brought more people out of extreme poverty than anything else in history, and levels of extreme poverty had been at historically low levels. However, this has been comprehensively reversed by the events of the past year, and the UN expects somewhere around 100 million people (130 million) to be forced into extreme poverty by these restrictions. What worries me is that there appears to be no end point. My understanding is there are plans to carry on with restrictions until the whole world has access to the covid jab. And after that what about the variants. "Vaccination of the vulnerable was supposed to be the way out, but it's just not happening, and it looks like some form of restrictions will remain after June. Czech Republic locked down hard initially but could not afford to do so again, and it is a worry if the plan here is to continue in a similar vein until the financial situation becomes so disastrous that it is just not possible any longer.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Non Altrincham FC Talk
 "biggest victims of prolonged lockdowns are children in poor countries"...