PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Phil Parkinson : "We need too many opportunities to score a goal"
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Phil Parkinson : "We need too many opportunities to score a goal"  (Read 6525 times)

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Phil Parkinson : "We need too many opportunities to score a goal"
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 09:01:35 AM »

The alternative Alty website 'The Alty Files' has this piece...

THE ALTY STRIKE RATE

This week Phil Parkinson has publicly called on his forwards to be more effective in front of goal and the following table indicates the squad's current strike rate in the National League.

Including the now voided game against Dover Athletic, Alty have scored 38 goals in the league this season to date. On average they net a goal roughly every 80 minutes.

Discounting the five penalties netted by Josh Hancock, that leaves 33 goals from open play in 34 games. These have been scored by the following players...

Jamie McDonald 1 goal, or a goal every 70 minutes on the pitch - striker
Dan Mooney 2 goals, or a goal every 255 minutes on the pitch - winger
Fisayo Adarabioyo 2 goals, or a goal every 262 minutes on the pitch - striker
Ryan Colclough 5 goals, or a goal every 276 minutes on the pitch - winger
James Hardy 1 goals, or a goal every 347 minutes on the pitch - winger
Josh Hancock 6 goals, or a goal every 393 minutes on the pitch - forward
Tom Peers 3 goals, or a goal every 460 minutes on the pitch - striker
Ritchie Sutton2 goals, or a goal every 539 minutes on the pitch - defender
Yusifu Ceesay 3 goals, or a goal every 561 minutes on the pitch - winger/striker
Matty Kosylo 3 goals, or a goal every 745 minutes on the pitch - winger
Jake Moult 2 goals, or a goal every 1,416 minutes on the pitch - midfielder
Connor Hampson 1 goals, or a goal every 1,445 minutes on the pitch - defender
Toby Mullarkey 1 goal, or a goal every 1,597 minutes on the pitch - defender
Alistair Smith 1 goals, or a goal every 2,088 minutes on the pitch - midfielder

Those who have played 400+ minutes but have not scored at all in the league are the following:

Joel Senior 2,751 mins - defender
Tom Hannigan 2,555 mins - defender
Andy White 996 mins - defender
Billy Sass-Savies 532 mins - defender
Byron Harrison 479 mins - striker
Sean Williams 478 mins - midfielder
Joe Piggott 442 mins - striker
Shaun Densmore 434 mins - defender
Simon Richman 418 mins - midfielder
Regan Oagle 408 mins - defender
Just to prove stats can prove anything, we should never have let Jamie McDonald go!

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 09:22:22 AM »

Any half decent striker at this level should average a goal every three games (270 minutes, 15 goals per season). Only Colclough comes close, although Hancock qualifies easily if you include the penalties - and a good striker would win us a fair few penalties. We have quite some way to go yet, and our close season business is going to be crucial if we are really going to step on next term. To match the board's aspirations, we really have to become genuine playoff contenders. This is really a mediocre league, and if we start scoring regularly we're perfectly capable of competing at the upper end - the striker situation is clearly the most important problem to be solved.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 09:53:47 AM »

Just a few thoughts.
Firstly, I don't think this is a mediocre league. It's a fairly level one and very professional and wins are typically by small margins hence PP being so keen on FT and more training time.
Also, strikers who are likely to score the number of goals we need to be challenging or, at least competitive, will be much easier to attract if we're offering a FT or at least hybrid contract.
With those those things in mind, I agree that recruitment for next season will be crucial but, because of the move towards full time, I think it might be easier than if we were looking at the part time pool of strikers. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised with the players PP can now attract and bring in.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 10:29:41 AM »

I must admit i'm buzzing about the future vision and news about Parky, potential Full Time footy within year or two, new Puma deal, ground renovations confirmed as meeting Football League requirements(something else Bill mentioned last night) & we'll continue to improve these & the club as plans evolve...

That said, no matter what league you play in any Club can only really be as successful as it's football team that goes out onto the pitch - results & league position are what Football Teams are judged by and as Parky himself said last night he knows if things don't work out in the coming years he'll be sacked...

Hence getting the players in that are of a quality to improve the squad & challenge for promotion is a priority for the summer... Parky knows the need for a striker is the main issue as any club needs goals... at present all the decent strikers will be under contract but hopefully during the summer break Parky can find that striking talisman who can score 20plus goals per season & push us towards promotion - the carrot of hybrid/FT football will certainly help attain that 'goal'... In Parky we Trust!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 10:37:51 AM by Inter Alty! »
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 10:33:12 AM »

Just a few thoughts.
Firstly, I don't think this is a mediocre league. It's a fairly level one and very professional and wins are typically by small margins hence PP being so keen on FT and more training time.
Also, strikers who are likely to score the number of goals we need to be challenging or, at least competitive, will be much easier to attract if we're offering a FT or at least hybrid contract.
With those those things in mind, I agree that recruitment for next season will be crucial but, because of the move towards full time, I think it might be easier than if we were looking at the part time pool of strikers. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised with the players PP can now attract and bring in.

Agreed ,we've brought  in the likes of Senior , Colclough and Smith who could play in the football league imo. If  the close season signings presuming there will be a handful  are  of a  similar standard  it will be looking good for  next season .

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 10:36:42 AM »

Agree Smith, Colclough, Senior are class players... looking forward to some good further additions in summer - particularly a decent striker... fingers crossed!
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 04:47:46 AM »

What's the stats on Tom Peers?

League: 1386 mins 3 goals
Cup: 251 mins 3 goals

Thank you. So by my calculations,  equivalent to one goal every three games then (plus at least a couple of disallowed goals). All from open play weren't they? So the same from open play as Hancock (he scored 5 penalties) - or more if some of his were from free kicks. And in a team that are the 18th best goalscorers (per game) in the NL. Out of 22. (Though admittedly some of that was against Barnton in a CSC game that was too dangerous for us elite supporters to attend. Officially. Even so, one in every 5 games in the NL, or 9 in a season approx).
You know, I was thinking on Saturday, if Peers had missed some of those chances, he'd have got slated. Looks like I might be right. I still say he's a good player to bring on against tiring defences

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 04:39:35 PM »

I'd agree with this if our strikers were getting lots of chances but they are not, we generate few chances in the game but we keep the ball and keep the game tight.  We possibly could create more but effectively we'd be making us easier to score against.  Its a tough one
Bernard Taylors barmy army

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 05:14:43 PM »

The alternative Alty website 'The Alty Files' has this piece...

THE ALTY STRIKE RATE

This week Phil Parkinson has publicly called on his forwards to be more effective in front of goal and the following table indicates the squad's current strike rate in the National League.

Including the now voided game against Dover Athletic, Alty have scored 38 goals in the league this season to date. On average they net a goal roughly every 80 minutes.

Discounting the five penalties netted by Josh Hancock, that leaves 33 goals from open play in 34 games. These have been scored by the following players...

Jamie McDonald 1 goal, or a goal every 70 minutes on the pitch - striker
Dan Mooney 2 goals, or a goal every 255 minutes on the pitch - winger
Fisayo Adarabioyo 2 goals, or a goal every 262 minutes on the pitch - striker
Ryan Colclough 5 goals, or a goal every 276 minutes on the pitch - winger
James Hardy 1 goals, or a goal every 347 minutes on the pitch - winger
Josh Hancock 6 goals, or a goal every 393 minutes on the pitch - forward
Tom Peers 3 goals, or a goal every 460 minutes on the pitch - striker
Ritchie Sutton2 goals, or a goal every 539 minutes on the pitch - defender
Yusifu Ceesay 3 goals, or a goal every 561 minutes on the pitch - winger/striker
Matty Kosylo 3 goals, or a goal every 745 minutes on the pitch - winger
Jake Moult 2 goals, or a goal every 1,416 minutes on the pitch - midfielder
Connor Hampson 1 goals, or a goal every 1,445 minutes on the pitch - defender
Toby Mullarkey 1 goal, or a goal every 1,597 minutes on the pitch - defender
Alistair Smith 1 goals, or a goal every 2,088 minutes on the pitch - midfielder

Those who have played 400+ minutes but have not scored at all in the league are the following:

Joel Senior 2,751 mins - defender
Tom Hannigan 2,555 mins - defender
Andy White 996 mins - defender
Billy Sass-Savies 532 mins - defender
Byron Harrison 479 mins - striker
Sean Williams 478 mins - midfielder
Joe Piggott 442 mins - striker
Shaun Densmore 434 mins - defender
Simon Richman 418 mins - midfielder
Regan Oagle 408 mins - defender
Just to prove stats can prove anything, we should never have let Jamie McDonald go!

Jamie Mcdonald was arguably our best poacher. Right place, right time.
It's all my fault.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 05:49:18 PM »

I was thinking the same about MacDonald only this afternoon. Must have not impressed in training I guess.

I agree with TA about us not creating multiple chances for the striker. Might be because other players don't have faith in the '9' so don't try and play them in.
Full time and proud of it

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2021, 11:04:48 PM »

I still think we fanny about too much instead of taking a pot at goal. Just think how many goals are scored via a deflection - we don't get those because our shot ratio is poor.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Phil Parkinson : "We need too many opportunities to score a goal"