PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ramadan Project
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ramadan Project  (Read 9802 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Ramadan Project
« on: April 13, 2021, 05:43:49 PM »

Can I just say thanks to the club for putting on the insightful webinar - which included our two Muslim players, Yusifu Ceesay and Yoan Zouma - during the half-time break on Saturday. It was probably the most enjoyable part of the stream  ::)

Once again it makes me proud to call myself an Altrincham fan to see that we're such an inclusive, forward thinking club.

Ramadan Mubarak to Yusifu and Yoan.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Ramadan Project
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 07:43:57 PM »

I have no time for religion, if people want to believe something that's fine. What does concern me is the club should treat all faiths equally. Anybody put Jedi on the census form?

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 07:54:36 PM »

I have no time for religion, if people want to believe something that's fine. What does concern me is the club should treat all faiths equally. Anybody put Jedi on the census form?

*SIGH* once again, for the people at the back...

Just because we're talking about ONE religion in this specific case (as it's Ramadan, no less) - doesn't mean we don't care as much about other religions. At no point has the club suggested otherwise, nor treated any faith differently.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 08:14:37 PM »

Just because we're talking about ONE religion in this specific case (as it's Ramadan, no less) - doesn't mean we don't care as much about other religions. At no point has the club suggested otherwise, nor treated any faith differently.

That's great. So long as we maintain that approach, and that is the hard part.

I watched the you tube video, having spent a number of Ramadans in parts of the Islamic world it interests me, as does Jainism, Zoroastrianism and Sikhism. No complaints from me if we have the same treatment should we have a player of those or any faith. I don't believe any of them! Most are science denying nonsense.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 11:11:35 PM »

That last statement isn’t exactly true though is it?  I don’t recall an Easter video explaining why Christian players or fans may have struggled with playing a match on Good Friday (if it weren’t for the tragic circumstances this year). We have treated the Muslim faith differently, not complaining just pointing out that equality is impossible to achieve. It’s impossible to please everyone though as we would have proved if our Muslim players had been here for the match in the rainbow kit. The no discrimination badges were one thing but we couldn’t or shouldn’t have asked those whose faith forbids homosexuality to play ina shirt that takes pride in it.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 03:58:50 AM »

That's the trouble when you start bringing politics into it. There's no positive discrimination, just discrimination, some say. Still, there is this to be said. I remember reading an article some years ago about how young "Asian" players were not being given a chance by professional football clubs because apparently the hierarchy at such organisations had an attitude that "Asians" did not make good footballers, and feeling shocked that such attitudes persisted in football in the 21st century. It featured a player who was setting all sorts of records in an amateur league but was not getting a look in when he went for trials. My bottom line is that everyone from whatever background should be given a fair chance, so anything that can help to give such players the chance they deserve, as long as it is respectful to everyone, must be a good thing.

In the spirit of increasing understanding, I  should add that I will never go to a match at 3pm on Good Friday, this being the holiest hour in the Christian year (and I'm sure our vibrant community of Kerala Catholics would agree), which obviously makes it less worth while for me to get a season ticket whilst leagues and clubs persist in this practice. (I'm obviously speaking as a Christian, for those who don't know...)

andrewflynn

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 08:56:23 AM »

Some website this.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 09:29:06 AM »

That's the trouble when you start bringing politics into it. There's no positive discrimination, just discrimination, some say. Still, there is this to be said. I remember reading an article some years ago about how young "Asian" players were not being given a chance by professional football clubs because apparently the hierarchy at such organisations had an attitude that "Asians" did not make good footballers, and feeling shocked that such attitudes persisted in football in the 21st century. It featured a player who was setting all sorts of records in an amateur league but was not getting a look in when he went for trials. My bottom line is that everyone from whatever background should be given a fair chance, so anything that can help to give such players the chance they deserve, as long as it is respectful to everyone, must be a good thing.

In the spirit of increasing understanding, I  should add that I will never go to a match at 3pm on Good Friday, this being the holiest hour in the Christian year (and I'm sure our vibrant community of Kerala Catholics would agree), which obviously makes it less worth while for me to get a season ticket whilst leagues and clubs persist in this practice. (I'm obviously speaking as a Christian, for those who don't know...)

Why have you put quotation marks around the word Asian? Do you not believe in Asia?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 09:50:05 AM »

Wow.
Full time and proud of it

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 10:05:37 AM »

That last statement isn’t exactly true though is it?  I don’t recall an Easter video explaining why Christian players or fans may have struggled with playing a match on Good Friday (if it weren’t for the tragic circumstances this year). We have treated the Muslim faith differently, not complaining just pointing out that equality is impossible to achieve. It’s impossible to please everyone though as we would have proved if our Muslim players had been here for the match in the rainbow kit. The no discrimination badges were one thing but we couldn’t or shouldn’t have asked those whose faith forbids homosexuality to play ina shirt that takes pride in it.

One could say a few things in reply to this but, just on a point of fact, Yusifu Ceesay was a used substitute in the rainbow shirts game.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 10:15:23 AM »

Which makes me wonder how he felt about being put in the position of having to chose between the position his faith takes and that publicly espoused by his employer. Putting people in that position is the very opposite of being inclusive

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 10:36:16 AM »

Which makes me wonder how he felt about being put in the position of having to chose between the position his faith takes and that publicly espoused by his employer.
Without wishing to be provocative, did you ever wonder how Christian players felt about playing on Good Friday? Wasn't there a Scottish (I think) player who had it in his contract that he wouldn't be called upon to play on a Sunday?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 11:08:16 AM »

Absolutely!  As a Christian myself I thought a lot about how I would have reacted had I been in the playing squad for the rainbow kit match too.  For what it’s worth my conclusion was that I would have gladly worn the anti-discrimination logo the shirt featured but could not in good conscience have worn a pride shirt and would have had to make myself unavailable for the game (unless I was I was in goal!)

Good Friday is an interesting one. There is nothing biblical that says good Friday should have any particular rememberence or restrictions around it but it is clearly an important day. Many churches hold services in the morning so I think I could get comfortable with going to church in the morning and playing in the afternoon but it’s a personal decision I think.

As for playing on a Sunday “the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath” (Mark 2:27) so if I observe a different day of the week as my day of rest, kept holy for God then that’s ok. After all our vicar has Tuesdays as his day off because clearly he has to work sundays!

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 11:32:46 AM »

Once religion is brought to the fore inevitably there are many potential issues..

Would a Methodist be forced to wear a Bet365 logo?

I am sure there was a lad who partially objected to playing in a Newcastle top with Wonga loans on it.

The club have stepped into an intensely personal area, and have set a very high standard to maintain. Good luck navigating through that without excluding people.

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 12:33:57 PM »

Yes there are 2 full Sith in my house plus 2 Padawan jedi  learners in my house. Also one of the Sith for her job title and description on of which " Supreme over lord " and "Ruler of all her domain"
FFS
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ramadan Project