PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 European Super League
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: European Super League  (Read 6258 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
European Super League
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:56:50 PM »

Can I just canvas people's opinions on the proposed European Super League?

Do folk think it's a positive or negative thing?

If negative, what, if any, action, would you advocate?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: European Super League
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 11:30:40 PM »

It's abhorrent, as it kills hope and ambition in football, based on a snapshot at a point in history.

I am concerned, though, that the action seems to be taken against players, such as European Super League players being prevented from playing in the World Cup.  They are very well rewarded, but they are employees under a contract. I am not sure what the action should be, but it should be directed at the clubs and owners rather than the players'

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 11:31:27 PM »

Putting my arsehead on I see it as businesses doing what they think is best for them. Given the levels of finance involved, the debt structures and global owners it's not a surprise. Quite why govt think it's ok for them to interfere in how these businesses wish to trade escapes me. It's nothing to do with their fans, they don't own these clubs.

As a footy fan who has become less and less interested in the premier league I don't care what they do. Give me Alty every time.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:34:27 PM by CRT Butty »

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 11:40:46 PM »

UEFA will soon find a way to offer these "Rebel" clubs more money with a bigger Champions League tournament and all well be well - relatively...even if it means teams finishing well down the Prem league will be able to qualify!

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 12:12:28 AM »

Negative, anything else is conceding that something other than the game (in this case billionaire owners) is bigger than the game itself.

I’ve no particular interest in any PL team, and would choose Moss Lane over City/Utd ground any day, however, there is a stand-off here that merits attention from all those invested in the game at every level.

Like it or not, players and managers will find that they are drawn into this; they are adults and (like every employee at one time or another has had to do) they will need to make a decision based on the consequences of their actions.

If I were responsible for drafting the response, it’d go something along the lines of:
statement released at 9:55pm tomorrow to ensure it is ‘breaking news’ on both terrestrial channels
Clubs given 48hrs to withdraw from SL
players instructed that they are withdrawn from national team
Managers told ‘no way back’ if they resign with SL.  Clubs relegated from league, and removed from all cup comps.

Hit them hard.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 07:52:02 AM »

i hear that we have been asked to join it. ;)
I think its nothing but Greed,i am surprised at City and United,liverpool i can understand though.
Harold

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 08:03:11 AM »

Since you ask...

Obviously I think it's a negative thing, but not entirely surprising - bad ideas from the USA tend to find their way sooner or later, and besides, for most of the history there has not been automatic relegation from the football league. I suspect also that the money lost from no fans at matches forced the matter (and consider, for example, that Arsenal were making as much on one match day (allegedly) ass Sunderland did in their entire season - when they were in the Premier League). People who asked for these restrictions must understand that there will inevitably consequences, and I suspect (though have no way of knowing) that this was one of them. Of course, when the fourth division was a closed shop, crowds received a significant boost with  the introduction of playoffs and automatic relegation, with the clubs that have come in getting more fans than the weaker football league clubs used to get. It won't necessarily be as bad with this proposed closed shop, but it may get a bit stale after a while.

As for what should be done, I'm not sure that the authorities should get involved. For safety issues such as after Hillsborough, yes, but what possible basis is there for them to tell businesses how to run their affairs? they don't have relegation from the Highland League either. As for the FA etc. banning them from competitions, I suspect they won't be that bothered about being banned from the League Cup or not being allowed to give up their players for international matches, and will further believe (probably correctly) that an ESL is a superior product to the PL (I mean Bournemouth? Come on!). It is hard to see an alternative other than trying to persuade them to amend or abandon their plans by making them a better offer - which could be what this was about anyway, despite their protestations.

In any case this has been a long time in the making. There was a manager sacked from Spurs late 70's early 80's who despaired over the lack of loyalty shown by the club compared to what would have been expected in the past and when returning to White Hart Lane (as I remember it), quipped "there used to be a football club there". And in 1986, we only got automatic promotion to the fl to try and pacify the big clubs and see off a threat of some sort of breakaway.

From a non-league angle, the interesting question is, will all those United fans tearing up their season tickets (if indeed it is a significant number) consider watching clubs such as FC United and other non-league clubs?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:33:50 AM by Hugh »

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 08:10:22 AM »

Well lets be honest it been on the cards for over 20 years or so in one form or the other e.g. the expansion of the Champions league and the Europa league. Money makes the world go around I'm afraid. Did the Alty Board consider an application?  ;) ;)
SBL 

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 08:35:08 AM »

And who would you have in a non-league superleague anyway?

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 08:55:24 AM »

At least we now know the reasoning behind the hollywood takeover of Wrexham.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 10:08:09 AM »

All the pundits have been saying it’s about greed. It isn’t. It’s about aversion to risk. They don’t want more money than they get today, they just want certainty that they won’t get less. If you have certainty on your income then you can offer players silly money on a long term deal, you can through hundreds of millions at a new stadium etc. That certainty enables “investment”. The uncertainty of sport is what makes it brilliant but it is also what makes investment risky and in many cases more like philanthropy towards a local community or a wild punt.

Giving these clubs that certainty is a bigger advantage than giving them more money and will create a permanent elite set of clubs. Firmly against it.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 10:13:11 AM »

They were always going to do this sooner or later because money doesn't just talk, it screams.
The EFL and the rump of the Prem will be badly affected financially when the TV money withers.
How will it affect us? I think there will be more positives than negatives.
Clubs above us will have to rein in their spending, salaries are likely to fall, academy and other professional players will be more available and there may even be renewed calls to create a regional league 2 with the existing L2 and the NLP. The only downside from an Alty viewpoint would be the possibility of the loss or reduction of the solidarity payment.
In short, although I'm against the greed of the plan, it won't have an adverse effect on us (and might actually benefit us in the long run) so let em get on with it!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 10:27:20 AM »

Personally I’d draw a complete line between the closed shop and the pyramid. Players and clubs must choose which side of the line they want to be on. All FIFA and UEFA competitions are based on sporting merit so where in the closed shop don’t go to world cups.

As a transitional arrangement players seeing out existing contracts can play in both but the moment you sign a new deal it’s one of the other. If that means that players see out their contracts at the 12 and then leave for nothing then I don’t have a problem with that!

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 12:30:21 PM »

Wasn't there a similar scenario many years ago with Cricket (was it IPL) when players were threatened with expulsion from county cricket and representing their country if they decided to play in that league? SBL

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 12:38:06 PM »

I just think they are trying to pressurise EUFA to get a better financial Champs lge deal.
Its no coincidence this is announced the day before EUFA were supposed to reveal the new champs lge deal,.. which now has been "delayed"  :o
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 European Super League