Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 It had to happen...so bl**dy predictable!
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: It had to happen...so bl**dy predictable!  (Read 6301 times)

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 07, 2021, 06:43:11 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57022942

Their legal teams will be getting involved before you know it!

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: It had to happen...so bl**dy predictable!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 06:51:59 PM »

Yup.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 06:56:08 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57022942

Their legal teams will be getting involved before you know it!

The NL should just relegate Dover so their argument is no longer valid. This would also level up the numbers in NLN and NLS. Job jobbed! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 06:58:38 PM »

Yep, typical... they all knew relegation was on the cards for bottom two clubs all season so should not complain now... just because they are the crappest two this year does not mean they can now try to avoid the drop or alter the rules... should demote them two leagues not one for being so arsey about it all... take it like men - you're going down for being rubbish!
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 07:19:42 PM »

I see from Grimsby's forum that a fair number of posters oppose the appeal. It does seem like desperate straw-clutching and I'm pretty sure we'll be playing Grimsby and Southend next season.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 10:24:28 PM »

I see from Grimsby's forum that a fair number of posters oppose the appeal. It does seem like desperate straw-clutching and I'm pretty sure we'll be playing Grimsby and Southend next season.

Absolutely.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 10:44:23 PM »

Is their argument really that a league can’t have promotion from it if no team gets relegated?  If they win the argument then don’t the teams relegated from league one make exactly the same argument about league two cos these two didn’t go down.  And so it goes on all the way up the pyramid.  Sheffield United will be right behind it!

That and the fact a precedent was set last year in NLN and NLS where exactly this happened. It’s an  embarrassment

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 10:54:26 PM »

Is their argument really that a league can’t have promotion from it if no team gets relegated?  If they win the argument then don’t the teams relegated from league one make exactly the same argument about league two cos these two didn’t go down.  And so it goes on all the way up the pyramid.  Sheffield United will be right behind it!

That and the fact a precedent was set last year in NLN and NLS where exactly this happened. It’s an  embarrassment

I believe the phrase we use on here is "Tin pot!" LOL

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 11:39:06 PM »

So now we know - League 2 is the European Super League in disguise 😂

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 12:16:30 AM »

Exactly, Sheffield United would be the ultimate winners, but this is desperate and embarrassing, and I have a feeling that the clubs at the other end of League Two won't agree!

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 07:20:44 AM »

So, if they win their appeal I bet the team who wins the national league will have something to say about it, SBL

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 10:06:53 PM »

Probably but given how long league teams tend to fester at this level or worse I understand their desperation

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 07:51:32 AM »

Yep, typical... they all knew relegation was on the cards for bottom two clubs all season so should not complain now... just because they are the crappest two this year does not mean they can now try to avoid the drop or alter the rules... should demote them two leagues not one for being so arsey about it all... take it like men - you're going down for being rubbish!
I’d just love to see their faces if they were told they’re being relegated two divisions. That would be some picture. 😂 😂 😂

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 08:36:37 AM »

Recall Boston being relegated/demoted two divisions from the 4th tier (EFL) to the 6th tier (2nd step of non-lge) in 2007 (maybe 2008) and this ultimately saved Alty from relegation from the Conference (step1 non lge)...

That was a strange period when we finished in relegation zone 3yrs running between 2006-2008 (i think) and we were saved from relegation by financial issues at other clubs like Halifax, Boston, Canvey Island, Scarborough, etc.

During that period we also had the 'James Robinson' issue of fielding an ineligible player (though at time harsh as unaware) that cost us 18pts but again we had a reprieve as one of three seasons listed above...

Agree that demotion two divisions for Grimsby & Southend would be funny but would also send strong message to EFL clubs (who all know rules at start of season) not to try to override/beat an agreed system that rewards via promotion & has relegation for failure...

Bottom line is over whole season Southend & Grimsby were the worst teams in their division & thus deserve (under the rules) to be relegated... they should stop moaning because they were crap and if they continue demote them two divisions as extra punishment! :)
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 08:56:17 AM »

Recall Boston being relegated/demoted two divisions from the 4th tier (EFL) to the 6th tier (2nd step of non-lge) in 2007 (maybe 2008) and this ultimately saved Alty from relegation from the Conference (step1 non lge)...

That was a strange period when we finished in relegation zone 3yrs running between 2006-2008 (i think) and we were saved from relegation by financial issues at other clubs like Halifax, Boston, Canvey Island, Scarborough, etc.

During that period we also had the 'James Robinson' issue of fielding an ineligible player (though at time harsh as unaware) that cost us 18pts but again we had a reprieve as one of three seasons listed above...

Agree that demotion two divisions for Grimsby & Southend would be funny but would also send strong message to EFL clubs (who all know rules at start of season) not to try to override/beat an agreed system that rewards via promotion & has relegation for failure...

Bottom line is over whole season Southend & Grimsby were the worst teams in their division & thus deserve (under the rules) to be relegated... they should stop moaning because they were crap and if they continue demote them two divisions as extra punishment! :)
What I don’t get is Southend and Grimsby’s logic. The reason there is no relegation from the National League this season is because there is nowhere to get relegated to. The reason there is promotion out of the National League is because there IS a league to be promoted into. Am I missing something here?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 08:58:22 AM by rorysgrandad »
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team